Wards Monark Silver King

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Came across this yesterday at a swap meet. I have never seen one in person, but I have seen some in pictures. All I know is that it is a Wards, Monark Silver King, and that it's aluminum. 
The guy I bought it from, bought it from the original owner, and he claims that it is all original. 
I was a bit hesitant to buy it at fist, but after looking at the prices that people were asking for them online,  I thought I better get it at $500, than $1500 on eBay. I don't know if that's eBay's insane pricing, or what. Either way, I like it a lot, so it doesn't matter. 
I cannot find a serial number anywhere on it. Does anyone have any advice on how to find the year? Maybe pull the crank?
Anyways, here are some pictures of it when I got it home: (sorry for the poor quality cell phone pictures)

544727_2597083826351_1832416619_1555118_718873779_n.jpg

529324_2597085666397_1832416619_1555119_1926805042_n.jpg

156287_2597086786425_1832416619_1555120_1817529175_n.jpg

Hope you guys like it!

$500 is a STEAL for that bike! Especially considering the parts on it. I'm not really a fan of those bikes, but I do like original teardrop pedals and ND front coaster brakes (neither are original equipment on that bike but both are very cool!)

Thanks guys!
It is in fact a 24 inch, and yes that was sopposed to be a mirror on the handle bars, but the glass has been broken for a long time.
I may polish it, but I am not sure yet.

Thats an awesome find. You have a 1936 Hawthorne Duralium as they called it. Its just like the Monark Silver King but Hawthornes line was called the Duralium and they were made around 1936 or so.

Its most amazing to me that these bikes survived the aluminum needs of World War II. Each one I see is more than a survivor. They have aluminum handle bars and frame. The fenders are usually stainless steel. Other than the crank, hubs, gooseneck which are steel, the rest are metals than can stand the test of time. I love them.

Here is mine which was pretty toasty when I got it and I did a near complete restore.

IMG_0004.jpg

Im trying to see the Head badge, You used the term Wards; Is it a Hawthorne head badge or Monark Silver King head badge. My previous post was based on it being a Hawthorne badge because you used the term Wards. If its a Monark badge then it is a true Monark Silver King of course, If its a Hawthorne badge then it is the Duralium. Basically same bike part for part.

Which head badge is yours?

Beautiful bike 1918 ranger. I will be polishing mine for sure after seeing your bike.

Yes, it does have a Wards Hawthorn badge and not the Silver King badge. I didn't know there was another bike like a Silver King, so I just assumed. Sorry for the confusion.
Would you call this a Hawthorn Duralium Silver King?

Thank you for your help!

Here are a few ads on the Duralium. Yea its called the Hawthorne Duralium. I like to add the Silver King to it since it is almost identical to the Monark Silver King.

duraliumad1.jpg

duraliumad3.jpg

duraliumad4.jpg

I like yours though. Love the carrier, truss rods, and drop stand. Completes it.

On polishing or restoring. On mine, I had some deep scratches in the handle bars and on the frame. I took some 180 grit sanding paper and a DA vibratory sander and buffed down the scratches, then went back over it with 320 grit. Then took WENOL metal polish and a buffer that you buff a cars paint with and polished it over and over. That brought the shine. I had my metal parts zinc plated to complete them.
I also used Muriatic acid on my aluminum at first but im really not convinced that it cleaned it all that much. I think the sanding then buffing did just as good a job with or without the acid. Acid was difficult to locate because it is so dangerous. I had to use a favor from a vendor I buy from to even get any. They wouldnt sell it to me because they didnt want a paper trail that they supplied it to me. Its mean stuff. I also had to send my stainless fenders to Memory Lane Classics and had them to use their fender roller to roll out some pretty nasty dents and creases in the fenders. They did an amazing job on them.
Its amazing how it can shine in the end.

Latest posts

Back