Tricycle kits?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not so much a how-to question as a "have-you-ever and how-did-it-work-out" question.

I'm wondering about buying a tricycle kit and converting a somewhat classic bike into a fancy trike.

I see that trike kits are often offered with separate hollow hub kits that require you to build or have built wheels.

Can anyone offer some details on how it goes, building a trike from a rear axle kit and an old bike? Pitfalls? Tips and tricks?

The first bike I built here was a trike using an old CWC roadmaster frame, and the rear end of a trailmate trike.
It was a pretty simple build, only had to cut slots in the rear end to accommodate the seat stays of the frame. Other than that it was bolt on.

I have one of the kits that you mount a normal wheel set to, it has a plate to bolt the rear wheel cog to.
I don't recommend this type as they are... at least the one I have... is flimsy.

I've seen the ones you can get from "lowrider" sites. I wouldn't have an issue using one of those, but as you said you need wheels for them. And they aren't cheap.

I'd say if you can find an adult tricycle with a bolt on rear use it. Many times you can get a complete used trike for less than the cost of a set of wheels for a kit.

Sage advice, Sir, thank you! I've often looked at those trike rear ends and thought they look as though minor mods would allow them to be bolted onto a regular bike.

Latest posts

Back