Thompson Bottom Bracket on '56 J.C. Higgins

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
MORTUNDEAD said:
I think I have a crank that will fit this. These thread on to the left( I think) do you just need a spindle?

Yes, justy the spindle should be enough, these are similar to American BBs in that the cups are pressed in:

thompson20crank1.gif

Nope, those are current spindles that are held in by the cups being screwed into the BB, the one on mine has reverse threads on the left side and you install it just like you would a single piece crank. Thanks though.

Hi,

If I am right you could find a lot used or cheap new parts in Slovenia or Croatia, since one of the more popular bikes in 80's Rog Senior used such bottom bracket and cottered cranks. Actually most people try to get a rid of those and get standard BB when starting a second life of their old bicycles since this bottom brackets never seem to work as they should. This is unfortunately quite difficult since the shell is neither threaded, nor of suitable dimensions for modern BB.

So if you are still interested, drop me an e-mail.

drush66 said:
Hi,

If I am right you could find a lot used or cheap new parts in Slovenia or Croatia, since one of the more popular bikes in 80's Rog Senior used such bottom bracket and cottered cranks. Actually most people try to get a rid of those and get standard BB when starting a second life of their old bicycles since this bottom brackets never seem to work as they should. This is unfortunately quite difficult since the shell is neither threaded, nor of suitable dimensions for modern BB.

So if you are still interested, drop me an e-mail.

I welded the messed up crank arm to the messed up spindle, then a week or two later I found another JC Higgins bike with a Thompson bottom bracket, so I have it for a spare. Thanks though, I was trying to keep from buying something from overseas that would cost a lot, and I bought the women's JC Higgins for $40

deorman said:
Sweet score on the oddball stuff! 8)

Thanks, it really came out of nowhere. First day of vacation in Lancaster Co. PA I looked on CL and saw a women's JC Higgins, hard to tell in photos, but looked like a smaller BB. I called and had the guy describe the BB to me, it was about 25 minutes away, but the kids needed a nap, it was indeed another German made JCH.

I paid $40 for the bike, which was cheaper than a used Thompson BB on eBay or a new one from overseas.

The bike has a decent wheelset (Komet rear coaster) with old tires, still holding air today. Fenders and seat were alright, frame cracked, but it is now part of a tall bike. Cool blue sparkle Hunt Wilde grips with streamers, etc...

I was pretty happy with it. :mrgreen:

yoothgeye said:
I welded the messed up crank arm to the messed up spindle, then a week or two later I found another JC Higgins bike with a Thompson bottom bracket, so I have it for a spare. Thanks though, I was trying to keep from buying something from overseas that would cost a lot, and I bought the women's JC Higgins for $40

If you have experience with Velo Orange Grand Cru Threadless Bottom Bracket, do you know, could it be retrofitted into the BB cage of your bike instead original one? I.e. can it expand enough to be fixed in a 40mm cage?

Or do you know any other modern BB that could be used in this cage?

It is possible that the Velo Orange threadless unit MAY fit, but for $66, I'd just buy a Thompson BB from overseas.

The thing is, the bikes that have Thompson bottom bracket shells are not the type of bikes that would really need a high end sealed bottom bracket.

The old Thompson BB on my mens JC Higgins had really nice bearings and once it was greased up and the bearings were adjusted it was as smooth as any 1 piece crank.

Latest posts

Back