The Svelte Spyder- NEW 6/6 new headlight idea

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
UPDATE 6/2!- Nixed the triple trees for something more creative.

OK so you guys are inspiring me to finish a rat I that has been sitting as ideas for too long. The build off might be just the pressure I need. This is a bit regurgitated from my stalled start. But here we go.

It started with this little nugget right here. Picked up for $35 bones. '69 Sears Spyder 5-speed.
IMG_2066.jpg

Love the bike, stripped it and primed it with a rust inhibitor primer w/ a foam brush. But the problem I had with the original design is that the sissy bar broke up the flow of this bike. Especially the line created from the chainguard to the fender. So using an old car rim as a form I bent the heck out of that sissy!

IMG_2171.jpg

I liked the lines that created, but worried about it bending under my weight, so I need to anchor the front nose of the seat, using the original post as a fulcrum. At the moment the thing I like most is the drum brake shoe from my 1971 Datsun! It should be plenty strong. You can see foamcore where I plan on cutting the shoe.

I think the seat looks pretty cool now Though it will need some prettying up!

I am also thinking it would be wicked to mount the 5-speed stick shift to the 'hump' in the middle of the brake shoe!

Pics!
IMG_2164.jpg

I was surprised how well the bent sissy bolted in front of that back wheel! I used long bolts with rubber hoses on them for protection (top one isn't all the way in there yet!) Still have lots of room for the twin brake calipers.
IMG_2172.jpg

Long way to go but you guys are inspiring me to take it to the finishline.

Re: The Svelte Spyder- Dusting off the cobwebs.

Very honestly sir, this is the first muscle bike I've ever seen that hasn't made me cringe. I'm not a fan of that astheric, but the way you re-routed the sissy bar has done WONDERS for this machine, and I've never seen that done before. Truly excellent, bravo!

Oh I like this... And I'm not even in to musclebikes

Thanks for the comments guys!

I am glad some of the non muscle-dudes are digging on it too. And I understand what you are saying as my tastes are usually more to beefy bikes than muscle. But I like that this is a 24" bicycle! And I dig the dual rear brake.

(Just wish I could fit some 24x3 rubber in there easily!)

Speaking of rubber, I could use a tatty 24X2.125 whitewall for the back if any one has one they want to sell cheap. Doesn't have to be pretty. In fact preferable old and a bit stained to match the front better.

Made some progress. Tried on some new forks. And was thrilled that the original 5-speed rear cluster threaded on to a modern aluminum (7-speed) rim yesterday. The original rim was thrashed, and I like the weight reduction! (And as I understand it, better braking power, especially since this will not have a front brake!)

I need to take a new snap of the mock-up. It is a pretty big bike!

Pics of Progress.

Beefing it up a bit by trying tome triple trees.

Bought a ....... Camp Flashlight at a flea market with a cool little star motif happening. (Can't take credit for this idea as another member turned me on to this light. Psyched I found one though!) Actually there is another build I was saving this light for so I will see if it stays on the Svelte Spyder.

Threaded the original 5-speed cluster on a modern rim. Lightener and better braking I hear (plus my original would have need a full respoke!)

I will be hitting Brimfield Antique fair (one of the biggest in the country) this week so who knows what goodies will totally change this thing!

IMG_5813.jpg

IMG_5812.jpg

IMG_5815.jpg

Re: The Svelte Spyder- New Pics-trying some forks

I decided 'Nah' on the triple tree fork. In the end I didn't think it helped the flow of the bike. I thought I'd get creative and try to mimic what I did on the rear sissy bar up front.

Using the original fork I bent another sissy into sort of a truss setup. The bend echos the rear sissy.
IMG_0775.jpg

IMG_0780.jpg

Grabbing a weird set of handle bars I had (they use to have brake levers welded on) I flipped them and immediately dug the repeating horse shoe shape that started happening.
IMG_0776.jpg

IMG_0777.jpg

Then I had a rusted out antique westing house vacuum. I gutted it and ripped the motor out of this housing which I used as a light fixture.
IMG_0779.jpg

A cool thing happened when I realized how close the bent sissy was to the bars. I could use a Moto-cross bracing bar (black) attach it to the handlebars and run it through two holes on the motor housing! This tied the bars and the sissy together.
IMG_0782.jpg

I am digging this vibe more. And I am starting to think I want a shorter polo banana seat. It feels a little bulky for the streamline thing I am after here. I may cut this one too, we shall see!

Re: The Svelte Spyder- Update 6/2 bye-bye triple tree

I'm "liking" this bike!...Totally different concepts. I especially like the symmetry with the bends and the arches, keep going...I'd like to see it in person someday. 8)

This a terrific build, I wish I had a ounce of the creative imagination you guys have! Keep it up! 8)

I knew we had to watch you.
This is turning out to be one heck of a build! I really like where this is going (or already is...) The frontend set-up is kinda what I had in mind although mine is much simpler with the mini-sissy bar and all. Yours is just perfect! Everthing is really well ballanced and has a thought-out look (if that is correct english). And the frontend is again perfect for the rest of the bike.

Very creative and out of the box thinking without the use of strange add-ons that look out of place.
Really cool, this build, and HIGHLY original while maintaining a vibe of authenticity.
8)

Thanks guys! I don't have a welder or a big stash of parts laying around, so it is a lot of looking. Setting things on the bike. Removing them. And more 'looking' at my surroundings for what I have.

In a way I guess limitations force you to be creative with what you have on hand. Sometimes it is amazing how things will line up as if they were waiting to go on a bike.

But I was pretty surprised that an old motor housing from a 40's Westinghouse vacuum would bring two parts of the bike together with no drilling or cutting. I don't know if I showed it well enough in the above photos, but see how the black MX bar slid through the existing holes in the motor housing? And then as if that wasn't enough there were two perfectly placed threaded screw holes in that housing that lined up exactly where a seat would have attached to the sissybar!

I just love it when stuff like that works out!

IMG_0785.jpg

IMG_0784.jpg

Your build is one I liked before. I love the frame,but I love how you bent up the sissy bar as support for the seat but keeping the lines flowing, ( I'll have to try that sometime ).....
Now you're using a sissy bar as trusses AND re-using old junk parts... Completely digging this build.
As far as ridability a polo seat would probably be better but I like the flow of the one you have on now.
(Back skirts or filling in the body all the way to the back tire like you had in the front would look cool).

whoinphx said:
Your build is one I liked before. I love the frame,but I love how you bent up the sissy bar as support for the seat but keeping the lines flowing, ( I'll have to try that sometime ).....
Now you're using a sissy bar as trusses AND re-using old junk parts... Completely digging this build.
As far as ridability a polo seat would probably be better but I like the flow of the one you have on now.
(Back skirts or filling in the body all the way to the back tire like you had in the front would look cool).

Thanks man! You are reading my mind with the side skirts. Been thinking up a few shapes or them.

You know I just pulled the old vinyl off of that seat so it is just the pan. Something much sexier about the shape already because of that. So I am keeping it for a bit longer yet! I will mod it in some way though. Either split down the middle, like a relief road seat. (This would match the bars well.) Or maybe just drill some holes in it to open it up a bit.

Time will tell right! I like to think I have a second person in my head, my subconscious. And I let him work on these problems while I work on other stuff. Hopefully he will figure it out!

Hey Fisch,
Sorry for being off topic...

Via your intro, I just stumbled upon your website. You do some amazing art... I'm wondering what medium you work with/in.
:shock: 8) :shock:

No wonder you're building an awesome bike.

I'm an artist myself and I've posted some bike-related stuff in the Art-thread on this forum. Don't know if you are aware of it. Maybe you've posted something already there... :oops: If not, you should :wink:

Here's the link:
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=8001

Oh, and there was a thread about foreign hotrods I think was right up your alley. Japanese/australian... Can't find it though...

F'ing LOVE your art Jeffrey! I am a real fan of that vibe man. Got some Ragnar books right on my shelf next to me. Are you on face book? Lets hook up! I am Scott M Fischer on there.

I work in everything really. Oil, digital, a hybrid of both. Lately I've been into Acryla Gouache doing some crazy stuff with brayers, stencils, Lino cut, sponges and stamps with some color inking on top! I am all over the place stylistically speaking! Here is some recent stuff.

vrsdxcvjhgvtgfgbasaasa.jpg

Skate2011.jpg

OilWashStudy.jpg

SnapOrange.jpg

SprocketPainting.jpg

GuitarGrrlFinal2.jpg

Highest_Fin2.jpg

610Sue2.jpg

And my latest kidsbook that comes out in July! I am psyyched!
FinalLottieParisLivesHere.jpg

Latest posts

Back