The Powerheavy, or the Homebrew

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
I guess it's time to let the cat out of the bag on this one...

The backstory: I was riding an old insutrial bike one day on a somewhat rough old paved road and the frame was squeaking and creaking like mad. That's not that big of a deal, but it was kind of annoying me. It inspired me to make an extremely heavy duty, super overkill klunker that I couldn't possibly ever kill. I had a bunch of heavy old tubing and I was feeling inspired, so I got started right away.

The only thing is, I had a really busy school year (new school); hence my lack of activity on the forum. I picked away at this for about 8-9 months as I had the chance. I'm very happy with the result. After much time and frustration...

So without further adieu, I give you the "Powerheavy". The name is somewhat of a joke, because this was inspired, at least stylistically, by the old tri-bar bmx cruisers (i.e., Laguna, Powerlite, etc.). I also sometimes call it the Homebrew, because it is 100% homemade by me after all! The frame and fork alone weigh a klunky 20 pounds. The rear end is made of round stock and all other tubing at least 2 or 3 times thicker than the average/regular thickness. The only parts I didn't fab were the rear dropouts (can anyone guess where they are from? :wink:). I made the fork 100% from scratch and copied the rake angle of my old Tange. The rear end is similar in geometry to an old Schwinn, and the front is similar to my Emory. The best welds are on the fork dropouts. The others need a little help yet, but the welder has been acting up for a while.

The plan: Drum brakes front and back, worksman rims and spokes, maxxis holy roller 26x2.40 tires, RIDE THE SNOT OUT OF THIS BEAST!

I don't have a clue about the finish yet. I'd like to know what you all think!

-Chris

mvgqkj.jpg

6i8lkg.jpg

alltvc.jpg

sv008w.jpg

15q3ztz.jpg

6g8l69.jpg

2a760lt.jpg

rr2t50.jpg

2ajcd9c.jpg

Peatbog said:
That style of frame is my personal favorite. I really like the way the top tube flows into the seatstays on yours.

Thanks; that was somewhat of an accident but I'm glad it turned out to be such a smooth transition.

awesome! i needed something like that when i was a kid! now, i dont jumps as much. hahah

Wheels and tires... steel drum hubs front and back... Worksman rims... NOS KMC chain... and I just love me some Maxxis :wink:

5y6e6t.jpg

257k4xu.jpg

2znvj3r.jpg

opbes7.jpg

mwziw2.jpg

10x68wk.jpg

scrumblero said:
what a beast!! :mrgreen: you gonna let it rust?

Thanks, not sure what to do with the finish yet... I think I'm gonna paint it a nice glossy black, but that's the tentative plan.

Thanks for all the positive comments! :wink:

Got one brake hooked up today and am super happy with it. Stops very well, but not jerky. Super smooth. Need to order a moped brake cable for the rear. Thinking I'll paint this black once I get the brake cable and a few other small bits...

scrumblero said:
what a beast!! :mrgreen: you gonna let it rust?

I am becoming more and more partial to the idea of a rust finish on this one...

Got my brake cables... super heavy duty. Need to get them hooked up.

Also decided on using fenders, or at the very least I am going to try. I will have to mod them a little bit, but I want to run OCC ducktails front and back...

Pictures later -->

So this is what my fender is going on :mrgreen: Your gonna have to mod it for sure, how wide are your seat stays? The fender is about 4 inches I think :wink: Can't wait to see it done :D

SCHWINNRAY69 said:
So this is what my fender is going on :mrgreen: Your gonna have to mod it for sure, how wide are your seat stays? The fender is about 4 inches I think :wink: Can't wait to see it done :D

Yes sir. :D My rear stays are actually pretty wide (built it that way just in case I decide I want some REALLY fat tires later!) and the fork isn't too bad either. So the mod in the back will be somewhat moderate; the front is what will be more drastic. I'm looking forward to the challenge though, and I have some ideas...

SCHWINNRAY69 said:
Fender on its way 8)

Can't wait to get working on those. Thanks Nick.

Got some new wheels coming too; going bomber style with some coaster brake wheels. They had to be beefy enough for this frame, though, so I bought these Worksman wheels from Tulsacruiser:

11vi3qg.jpg

521k0m.jpg

2zntpaq.jpg

That is Awesome!! I'm calling dibs if for some reason you ever decide to sell!! :mrgreen:

Carbon said:
That is Awesome!! I'm calling dibs if for some reason you ever decide to sell!! :mrgreen:

Wow, thanks, I appreciate that a ton. :wink: (And I will keep that in mind!)

I haven't seen the coaster brake wheels yet, but in the meantime I got my brake cables on and did some trail riding with this beast. :shock:

It really is a beast. It tears along well going downhill... going uphill is a different story. You're looking at 55 pounds of Klunking glory...

So until about a week ago, I had never overturned a bike (i.e, gone rear end over front). Go figure, that when it had to happen, it would be on my heaviest bike. :mrgreen: Luckily, though, I walked away unscathed, but have decided that I had better start riding with a helmet.

Please excuse the electrical tape, I need to weld on some braze-ons (what an oximoron?) yet but haven't had the time. :oops:

15f3yx4.jpg

fxwd2e.jpg

etuzae.jpg

Latest posts

Back