The Canada Cycle & Motor Co. Double Vision Build

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have no idea what year these bikes are. I got the red one last year and the green one has been kicking around my parents house for years. The red bike has 28" wheels and the green has 26" wheels.

DSC09715.jpg

DSC09718.jpg

I tore both bikes down without too much trouble and got to sanding them.
Safety first!
DSC09890.jpg

DSC09894.jpg

DSC09895.jpg

DSC09896.jpg

I still have to sand the paint in all the small corners. Then sand the forks and decide what i am going to do with the wheels whether to sand down the originals or find new ones.

Dude! Track drop outs! You should make an old school fixed gear race bike. stick with the 28 inchers too, if you can find rubber. Way classy! and no one else will have 'em at your local shop.
Lucky! I wish my parents had old bikes laying around...

I found some new tires for the 28's a couple weeks ago they are Kenda Kwest tires and I think they will look real sharp on a black rim. I was thinking of a fixed gear for it too but the idea of a fixed gear scares me. I always think what if I have to make an evasive sharp turn and get bucked off the bike because my pedal has clipped the ground. Where I live there is an indoor velodrome which requires you to have a fixed gear bike to ride the track and I have always wanted to ride it. So maybe I will need two 28" wheel sets one freewheeling and one fixed. I have a few 28" wheels laying around so that could be done.
I also though about making both of them straight bar frames but the lack of a welder will prevent that idea from happening.

DSC09899.jpg

I finally finished sanding the 26" frame. I wish the sand man would bring me a sand blaster. Got dome primer on it, one more coat and then some colour. The 28" frame needs more sanding still before it can be primed.

DSC09908.jpg

Thanks beast! I got the tires from Canadian Tire for $18 a piece I think. I saw your CCM I haven't seen one that colour before. I have no idea what year either of mine are. I haven't been able to find any CCM serial number charts online.

just braze a tube in where ya want it. both look real good. can't wait to see how they come out.

Outlaw :mrgreen:

Haha! Yeah all of the bikes I ride except the phantom are flat black.
I am in the process of painting rims and hubs. I will be making another attempt at painting spokes. I hope it goes better than the first time I tried that. I won't be using the original wheels on the 26" bike. There are too many spokes broke and I don't have a donor wheel to get more from. The original rims are F12 rims. They are larger in diameter than balloon tire rims and take a 26x1/2 tire. I took apart 4 complete wheels to build two wheels. The rims are regular ballooner size and will be running a Bendix coaster brake.
Thanks to oldy57's CCM date chart and one I found online here, I was able to find out the date of the 28" bike, it is from the year 1924! I hope I do it justice cause that is super old. The 26" bike was built after 1960 as it's serial number is not listed.
I can't decide if I am going to run riser bars or drop bars on these. I guess I will have a better idea when the forks and wheels are on. I need to get these bikes done so I can do work on my build off project.

The Canada Cycle & Motor Co. Double Vision Building Wheels

I got the 26" rims painted and also the spokes for one wheel, the other spokes will be painted tomorrow. I had a real hard time with not scratching all the paint off the spokes the first time I tried it for my rust to rat build. When I laced those wheels I laced them as shown in an old Bicycling magazine which caused the spokes to rub when maneuvering them into position. So I thought of a better way to do it so that the spokes would have less chance of rubbing on each other during the lacing process. I am very happy with how it turned out. Only 3 more wheels to go...

Here are some shots of the lacing.

Finished paint.
DSC09984.jpg

Testing spoke positioning.
DSC09987.jpg

Ready to be dropped into the rim.
DSC09988.jpg

Twisting nipples.
DSC09989.jpg

Ready for truing
DSC09990.jpg

These are gonna look freakin sweet Rollin'! Man, I wish I could find a 28" frame with rims around here! That is exactly what I am looking for to build my project bike. Can't wait to see the finished work!

Latest posts

Back