*The 76er* (I. Think. I'm. Done. update: 7/29)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: *The 76er* (Headbadgery update: 5/24)

nelvolks said:
Awesome work on the headbadgery. Makes me want to make my own like that instead of buying that penny. Can't wait to see the end result.

I was thinking last night, you could easily get a scrap of flat/sheet copper (someone on this site would probably send you a piece for free) and you could draw on the penny design and use your dremel or a scratch awl to make it, you could also cutomize, give Abe a mohawk or something, add your name, etc...

herr_rudolf said:
Way COOL!
You've made me rethink my headbadge idea... Not shure what to do yet.
Yours looks absolutely awesome. Nothing is cooler than homemade items.
8)

Hopefully it will end up looking better with paint and a little more work, I will be keeping some shiny brass though. Thanks though. About the homemade items, when I think about what is going on this bike I just want to modify everything since this is called a build-off and not an assembly-off. It always bothered me when the show American Chopper first came on, they weren't really building bikes, just getting parts and putting them together.

Dr. Tankenstein said:
Nice headbadge!
Is this any hint as to the frame color?....hmmmmm?......hmmmmmm? :mrgreen:

No. haha, it will be a light colored frame.

Great job on the head badge. your '76 is beating my '76 by a wider margin every time I look! :D

I think you can still walk into an auto parts store and ask for brass "shim stock" to get something a little bit thinner if that's what you want.

Day 24

Had a few minutes and that painted headbadge was calling my name, so I snuck out to the shop for a little while tonight. Got final FCA at the high school in the morning, so I didn't stay out too late, so this won't be a long update.

First, the headbadge, when you last saw it I had just sprayed it flat black. Tonight I took some fine sandpaper and sanded it to this:
IMG_4239.jpg

That's more the look I was going for, I don't love it, but I'm happy with it. So I got out the clear and threw a coat on:
IMG_4240.jpg

If it dries too shiny I'll steel wool the finish to dull it a bit.

As long as I had a few fumes in the air, I decided to do it up right. I went looking for my main color, and I found it:
IMG_4243.jpg

Ivory? I could've sworn I had bought cream... but that was a long time ago. Doesn't really matter, there will be some things done to it to compromise the finish. As you can see, it's a satin finish, gloss would've gotten in my way for the next steps.
IMG_4244.jpg

Yeah, as usual, the fumes are back as I'm working in a non-ventilated shop, it's raining outside, yeah, that's my excuse... rain!

I went upstairs to escape the fumes and look through my license plates, out of all these and the ones on the wall none of them have a 7 and a 6 together in that order...
IMG_4247.jpg

Maybe I can make something out of this:
IMG_4245.jpg

Something... NEW?
IMG_4246.jpg

I liked this old bathroom sign because the border line is actually stamped in, we'll see if I actually use this... do you know that fumes can walk upstairs? I gotta go.

The Summer Olympics in 1976 were hosted in Montreal, Canada. In the men's individual road race, a total of 116 riders began the race, but only 58 finished... that's half. Had they chosen to ride Murray Skybolts instead of uncomfortable 70's road bikes more of them might've finished the race... of course the games might have been over by time they finished, but at least they would've finished.

Re: *The 76er* (more paint more fumes... update: 5/25)

herr_rudolf said:
I like your ideas...
The badge looks cool with the color in it, and am curious about the plate. Nice thinking, cutting he unlettered sides loose.
8)

I was thinking of adding more color to the headbadge, but I think it will look more "vintage" the way it is. The plate I am making is very thin metal, the back is a bronze color, it's probably aluminum. It's thin enough that I might try to cut some letters out of hard wood and hammering it on top of them to see if I can make my own raised letters/numbers.

Re: *The 76er* (more paint more fumes... update: 5/25)

Days 25-26

I figured I should get some work done tonight since I will be leaving to go camping for the holiday weekend. I didn't have much time, but enough time to start even more projects. I'm beginning to think that 3 months isn't enough time, but not finishing is not an option.

FIrst, the paint dried really well, the picture probably doesn't show it, but you can really tell it's ivory and not white. Very creamy, I will be sticking with earthy tones, so this does well.
IMG_4248.jpg

I had to throw a wheel on it for the next project, and seeing this I am glad I will be going with the black tires with the tan line instead of these whitewalls.
IMG_4249.jpg

It's time to make a rack. When I first came to RatRodBikes.com I didn't care for fenders, chainguards, tanks, and racks, but after a year here, I've changed my tune. You might have seen this part back when I was trying to strip the paint, this was an old rack off some old faux muscle bike with solid tires. It was 1 piece, but I started by cutting it and hand bending it a little bit:
IMG_4250.jpg

You know what they say, measure once, cut twice. Crap, I cut off the wrong ends!
IMG_4251.jpg

So then I had to cut the correct ends off (like I said, cut twice), now how will I put them back together? I once heard something about trying to fit a square peg into a round hole, well, what about a round peg in a square hole?
IMG_4252.jpg

Using this square tube will allow me to adjust the rack until I like the look, then I can weld it up. With the flat surfaces it will be easier to make my wood top and allow me to attach things to the sides easier, possibly a taillight and license plate. Here's how it will go, but I will either lower the front or raise the back, I want it level:
IMG_4253.jpg

The front attachment point will be the old reflector mount, but I don't want it to taper in towards the seat post too much, so I need something to mount it too that is wider, so I need to make something. I've got a few of these old wrench blanks that I bought from a salvage store. They were new from a factory, but the boxed end was never cut and they were never finished. Here's a couple lined up ready for cutting:
IMG_4254.jpg

I actually measured this time:
IMG_4255.jpg

Turn them around and...
IMG_4256.jpg

I will weld that up and then attach it here to hold the front legs of the rack:
IMG_4257.jpg

OK, time to go inside. I rubbed 0000 steel wool over the frame, then tack cloth so I could lay down another coat of ivory, but before the fumes ran me out, I grabbed my chain guard and trimmed it a little to fit. Here's a reminder of what it looks like:
IMG_4258.jpg

And that's it for tonight.

After and earlier update someone said something about me being ADHD, well I really am (so thanks for twisting that dagger). Mostly I've learned to deal well with it, but it really shows up in something like this, because as you can see I really jump around and have no rhyme nor reason to what I work on and when. It will all come together, I promise. I'm not trying to keep any secrets or plan some big surprise, this is just how I work. haha

In 1976 the average cost of new house was $43,400.00, the average income per year was $16,000.00, average monthly rent was $220.00, and the cost of gas was 59 cents a gallon . Now if you are travelling this weekend and complain about the price of gas, look back at that yearly salary. Your 1976 Plymouth Arrow that new cost $3,175.00, didn't get all that great of fuel economy and probably didn't last as long as a much cheaper and more fuel efficient Murray Skybolt.

Re: *The 76er* (making a rack, update: 5/27)

OK, I just realize that this build has officially passed another build deadline I had set for myself.

This is Memorial Day weekend and we are going camping with friends, my plan was to have my tandem built by today... nope.

How many mroe builds will this build take priority over before the August deadline?

Rack is very creative...By creative I mean COOL, VERY COOL!

KOTA said:

Thanks, it still needs a lot of adjustment before I put the first crappy welds on it, I want to make sure it's substantial, that's my real hangup with bike racks. Still thinking out ideas for the top to make it unique.

KOTA said:
What he said! The double-wrench mount is awesome. I like the rounded corners of your rack, I almost hacked the dropouts off of mine to go for that look. Think I'm keeping them for originality, though. Watching people build cool one-offs like this makes me want a welder even more!

I like the ivory paint, white paint never looks finished to me, but that ivory should look great against gumwalls. :cool:

d.rock said:
What he said! The double-wrench mount is awesome. I like the rounded corners of your rack, I almost hacked the dropouts off of mine to go for that look. Think I'm keeping them for originality, though. Watching people build cool one-offs like this makes me want a welder even more!

I like the ivory paint, white paint never looks finished to me, but that ivory should look great against gumwalls. :cool:

Thanks and DON'T hack off your Murray dropouts!

As for the welder, I wanted 1 for over 10 years. I grew up in a home where dad had a couple welders in the garage and I took them for granted, never touched them. When I started working on cars and 4x4s I wished I had learned, and the not learning kept me from looking into a purchase. Finally I just said the heck with it, I put a wanted ad on Craigslist for a welder and got a wire feed gasless welder for cheap. No training just point and shoot. The hardest part was saving up the $180, but I just had to have a name brand, I could've used a coupon at Harbor Freight and had one for about $100.

What I tell anybody is, go for it, you won't hate it... promise.*

*-promise not available in all states.

herr_rudolf said:
Nice work on the rack and everyhing. You've been busy again...
8)

Thanks, it really wasn't alot of work last night, each update is never really more than 1 night's work, and I type up the update as soon as I come inside so I don't forget any details. I never take time from family for personal projects, so on this bike I usually don't start until all 3 kids are in bed and the wife is settled in for the night, so I go out to the shop around 10pm and work till 12am-2am. I hit it a little hard in the beginning, every night, and I felt it, super tired, so I've been taking nights off to sleep.

nelvolks said:
Update please!

Hold your horses! You know I have to put the starter in the van tonight... why don't you drive down here and help me... better yet, put it back in for me while I work on the bike. :p

Days 27-31

Ok, I wasn't going to do any work tonight, but nelvolks has been begging me for an update, so I decided to go out to the shop to see what I could do.

I went upstairs and thought I would maybe start working on my bars:
IMG_4259.jpg

Then I found some old chrome emblems I pulled off an old car I found in the woods and thought I might see about mounting them on my chainguard:
IMG_4260.jpg

After that I looked in my LED drawer and thought about working on my headlight:
IMG_4261.jpg

As it got hotter and hotter up in the shop, I realized I should have installed this a few days earlier:
IMG_4263.jpg

Not really being motivated to open a window and plug something in, I dug around in one more box and I found this:
IMG_4262.jpg

This is suppose to be my accent color, so I decided to tape up the frame:
IMG_4264.jpg

Then I actually measured something! :mrgreen:
IMG_4265.jpg

Then I brought the frame into the house (don't get use to it frame... you live outside!) and started drawing:
IMG_4267.jpg

I really wasn't feeling inspired, but I pushed through and came up with something really simple, loosely inspired by my fork dropouts:
IMG_4268.jpg

I was going to quit here, but I went into the shop and cleaned the area to be sprayed and layed some paint down. This is when I realized that there might have been a reason this paint was on clearance:
IMG_4269.jpg

Bubbles bubbles, my bubbles! Wow, that's ugly. I went ahead and layed it kind of thick hoping I can sand it down to something presentable. We shall see once it dries real good.

So I guess that's all for tonight. Hopefully tomorrow I can throw the starter back in the wife's minivan (bad solenoid on 2006 Kia Sedona, not available, so we put a solenoid from a 454 Chevy starter on the Korean starter) and have that off my mind, then I can do some welding.

So exactly how many ongoing projects do I have unfinished in this build? Fork, chainguard, fender, headlight, etc... Too many.

1976 on the Chinese calendar was the year of the Dragon. The Dragon is the only mythical creature in the Chinese zodiac. In China, dragons are associated with strength, health, harmony, and good luck; all things I'll need to finish the 76er in this build-off. :roll:

Re: *The 76er* (air conditioning and PAINT, update: 6/1)

Make sure you have a Dragon in your garage when I come down in a few weeks. Were going to need it, Ha Ha! Looking good bro.

yoothgeye said:
I went upstairs and thought I would maybe start working on my bars:
IMG_4259.jpg

I need the GT stem, bars, grips, and pad! Sell?

BTW everything looks great.

LMK :wink:

Latest posts

Back