*The 76er* (I. Think. I'm. Done. update: 7/29)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: *The 76er* (It's rolling! update: 6/20)

cman said:
great work on this. Nice idea on the bars.

Thanks, still some brain rumblings about the bars, this by far has been the hardest part.

nelvolks said:
Bike looks awesome and in this build off wether you know the person or not there are lot of talented builders/restorers with awesome bikes. Now I need to get to work and do some updating myself I am a little behind.

Yes, yes you are. :wink:

MplsCoaster said:
You've got some truly original ideas and the skills to put them together.
Nice Job! 8)

Thanks, that really means alot.

Man, that is COOL :shock: Love the stance...mean :mrgreen:

SCHWINNRAY69 said:
Man, that is COOL :shock: Love the stance...mean :mrgreen:

Thanks buddy, we should cruise.

Anyway, don't have an update tonight because I kind of took a build off break and started another project that can be seen here:
viewtopic.php?f=21&t=41955

Cody came by to start a project too, and he had made this earlier in the day:
IMG_4345-1.jpg

IMG_4344.jpg

Very cool, chain is all tig welded together.

Then I gave him my chopper fork and some other junk bikes plus one he brough by and something started to appear:
IMG_4347.jpg

IMG_4354.jpg

IMG_4353.jpg

I'll see if he chimes in at any time about all of this. We quit work when he ran my welder out of wire. haha

the long bike was a great idea. I have got to get a sign that says wide turns. Not sure on the colors yet but that is a ways off.

The-Rookie said:
the long bike was a great idea. I have got to get a sign that says wide turns. Not sure on the colors yet but that is a ways off.

Color shouldn't be too far off considering last night you started with nothing and now have a roller. If the welding wire hadn't run out I'd probably be a lot more tired this morning.

hoping to have some paint on it next week when I get back from beach

I LIKE WHERE THIS IS GOING. THAT COLOR ON THE RIMS WITH THE TIRES ARE MATCHING GREAT. I COULD SEE IT NEXT TO MY BIKE JUMPING DIRT MOUNDS. LOL THANKS FOR YA PROPS ALSO. PEACE

The-Rookie said:
hoping to have some paint on it next week when I get back from beach

While you're at the beach I'm getting out the pink and purple spray paint (you know I have it).

The-Rookie said:
I left you a little suprise in your jeep

First thing I noticed when I walked past. Didn't go in it, must deal with the mess later. :lol:

That Chain belt buckle is awesome. Always wanted to wear a big cowboy buckle, but this would be way better.

cman said:
That Chain belt buckle is awesome. Always wanted to wear a big cowboy buckle, but this would be way better.

You could really go any size with it. This was a new chain I gave him (that he exploded), so I'm glad it's getting a second life. Each link was welded in, if I get him to make me one I'll have him tig the outside and some inside, but leave some loose so they can move.

He sprayed it with clear coat and it looks and feel professional.

I have alot of different kinds of them that I wear. I thought it would be cool to have one made out of chain never seen one like that b4. It took just about the whole chain to make the buckle but I think it turned out awsome.

Day 57

Haven't been able to get alot (anything) done over the past week. I was preaching Sunday and we had Vacation Bible School preparation, now that VBS is in full swing this week, I should be able to work on the 76er in the evenings again.

I started back last night and decided to go after the handlebars.

I started by getting out the little bit of steel I had left from the forks:
IMG_4359.jpg

Using a very fancy/high tech method, I cut it at an approximate 45 degree angle:
IMG_4360.jpg

Not quite 45 degrees, but I can work with this:
IMG_4361.jpg

So I cut some more:
IMG_4362.jpg

To accomplish 2:
IMG_4363.jpg

Now I grabbed some bars to be sacrificed:
IMG_4365.jpg

Which will it be? I started by chopping up the black kids bike bar, that didn't suit me, but Cody was able to use the ends I cut later for the bars on his burrito, so I cut the smaller middle sized cruiser bar and tacked them:
IMG_4366.jpg

Then after trying on the bike I finished them off:
IMG_4367.jpg

Then I went and tried them on the bike:
IMG_4368.jpg

Something went wrong... all wrong, they were supposed to come up, not go down, I'm not building a board tracker, ugh...
IMG_4369.jpg

So now I will throw them in the scrap pile and go with a more simple idea. Luckily I have 1 piece of tube from the forks left, this will be my bar's center support/mount and I'll have another go.
IMG_4370.jpg

The night wasn't a total waste, Cody's burrito took it's maiden voyage down the road (no crank) and it should be managable to ride, plus when I was welding I caught his pants on fire, so good times were had.

In the 1976 Summer Olympics, the American men won gold and silver in the 400 meter hurdles and took bronze in the 110 meter hurdles. I'm just trying to get over this 1 hurdle in my 1976 Murray build... wonder if any of those old guys are still around to help me.

Re: *The 76er* (Handlebar Headaches update: 6/28)

Just an idea I can't tell clearly, but what if you took those handlebars you made and just flipped them? Left to right flip....Right to left flip
Here is a photo I did really quick:

76ersflippedbars.jpg

I don't know in reality if that'd work, but I think you should try it before junking them... Good Luck

whoinphx said:
Just an idea I can't tell clearly, but what if you took those handlebars you made and just flipped them? Left to right flip....Right to left flip

I tried it, they stick almost straight up into the air. Looking at them the 2 bars are just too bulky and I'm happy to go to a 1 piece design.

Day 62

Vacation Bible School ended last night and we decided to take it easy today. My wife went out shopping with our oldest daughter while the other 2 are napping. I was going to nap as well, but as I sat watching Psych I had ideas running through my head, so I went out into the shop for a little light work.

Time to get back to that license plate I started planning weeks ago when I cut up the old men's bathroom door sign.

First I found a piece of hard wood in the shop, this old oak 4x4 will do fine, then I drew on my letters and numbers and started chiseling.
IMG_4375.jpg

I thought first I would use the dremel tool, but that would've taken forever, so I stuck with the chisel and had it done in no time. Right after this picture I used my drill and a large bit to take out the middle of the "O" and the "6."
IMG_4376.jpg

Since I don't have a press and I didn't want to carve 2 sides I was just planning on hammering it out. I thought I might cover it with a piece of rubber and hammer it or something, then I just got out the rubber mallet and started wailing on it. After a few hits I went and got my dead blow hammer and that did even better:
IMG_4377.jpg

You can see that the letters/numbers are raised, but it doesn't have good sharp edges like a stamp or die would have, but it is noticable, even moreso on the back:
IMG_4378.jpg

Then I used 2 pop rivets to attach both pieces.
IMG_4379.jpg

Then I hammered it some more so the 2 pieces would join well and I "painted" it:
IMG_4380.jpg

I have always been a drawer/illustrator, I don't like brushes, so I really like these paint markers. Once the paint is dry I will age it some and figure out the mounting. Oh yeah, if you haven't figured it out: "MO-76" = Murray Ohio 1976.

Did you know that in 1976 many states issued special bicentennial license plates? Most people just swapped them out the next year and threw them away... just like many people treat old 1976 Murray Skybolts.

Re: *The 76er* (license plating update: 7/2)

i feel ya with trying things that once bolted dont work. dig the bars i think ya got me beat for odd. well done and i like the plate too gotta like hand fabbed stuff

Latest posts

Back