Smyinz help

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm currently building a ruff smyinz. I've run into an issue with my 26x80mm rear rim not fitting into the rear triangle. Has anyone had this issue and if so how did you fix it?

Okay, that is really strange. The internet is full of pics of that bike on wide rims. I would easily believe some extra wide tires would not fit, but the rims themselves it sounds surprising. Is that that you have not enough clearance? How much would you say you need to add? Can you show a picture? As i know that frame has two pairs of dropouts, sorry if i sound super obvious, but did you try to use the other dropouts on the back? May be you can try to spread the rear with just a bit of brutal force, but as i can understand your problem is not with the dropouts but with chain stays or seat stays really close to the seat?

No it's actually not clearing the axles in the drop outs in gonna try Sheldon Brown's cold stretching method and see how that works

what is the spacing of the hub you're running? The Ruf site lists the rear spacing at 135mm; if you bought pre-laced fat wheels, there's a good chance they're quite a bit wider. There's also a chance, depending on the hub, that you can despace the hub, possibly even enough to keep the frame in its original spec...

have any pictures of your rear hub?

Turns out hub on the pre assembled wheels I bought I'd crazy wide. Does anyone know if a standard hub will work or do I have to run a specific kind of hub

They use the crazy wide hubs b/c most of these frames have crazy wide rear spacing, b/c you'll need wider chainline to clear the crazy wide rims/tires. If you want some more specific troubleshooting, tell us all the details about your current rear hub or, better yet, take a picture or 2. You might be able to despace it.... but yeah, you can run a regular hub; you just need to find other means to move the chainline out far enough to clear the tires....

While youre at it, you might want to talk about your crank plans and all that, too...

....ps My best advice? don't make any frame mods til you have a plan down in terms of the drivetrain. Frames can fatigue if you keep trying to coldset them both ways...

I think the best route for me will be running a standard hub. Despacing it will not do any good as the body of the hub is wider than the dropouts. As for a clearance I already have an offset sprocket and full crank and sprocket from ruff so I'm not worried about that as much. Thanks for your help!

Latest posts

Back