SideHacked! Epilogue

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: SideHacked!

JoKeR63 said:
By now, some of you have been wondering how I am going to manage keeping a right hand thread adapter on the left side.

No, actually that hadn't crossed my mind since you seem to have everything else so well figured out. I'm enjoying what you are putting into this.

Well, last night I had a vision. Kept me up until 1am searching thru upstairs part bins and drawing plans but I found what I was looking for.
Now one of the things I've been concerned with is the body of the side car. I'm going to need to have a great deal of access to the platform in order to secure the babyseat. My first thoughts have been a lift up clamshell but all I see is the baby being wacked in the head. Plus it might be frightening to be closed in like that, I don't want to give her a complex!

So the vision was to use drawer slides and have the front half of the body to roll out forward of the frame.
Then it hit me, why not use a small actuator to slide the body out. Not only would it be cool, it would improve safety by freeing up my hands.

A small assemblage of parts, and the actuator needs some mods yet.

Good news; Actuator weighs 14 oz.
Bad news; Slides weigh < 3lbs.

760.jpg

This is going to require mock ups and testing, but I think I can make it work.

And this will be hooked up to a microswitch attached to a sound chip amplified through a speaker so that when it opens or closes it makes the "woosh" noise of the doors in Star Trek.

yoothgeye said:
And this will be hooked up to a microswitch attached to a sound chip amplified through a speaker so that when it opens or closes it makes the "woosh" noise of the doors in Star Trek.

I hadn't thought of that, but it is a way to go. It will have limit switchs, wouldn't be too much of a stretch. :wink:

It's gettin' hard to stay on the front page. :oops:

"The Sliding Clamshell". Ugh, I got to come up with a cool name for this!
Spent 3 hours making 2 brackets and mocking up the slides. Original layout didn't work so there's one delay. Normally I'd just build it and fix problems afterwards but I don't want too many drillium holes in the deck, and too many wasted parts. Pictures of the mock up wouln't do it justice, when I get it operating on the actuator I'll post a video.

Running with YG's ST idea, I need a dark, sensual, Marilyn Monroesque voice for the following phrases;
"Body opening"
"Body closing"
"Cycle complete"

Somehow I have kept missing this build while away.

This is going to be nice. You have done some amazing work so far!!!!!

JoKeR63 said:
Running with YG's ST idea, I need a dark, sensual, Marilyn Monroesque voice for the following phrases;
"Body opening"
"Body closing"
"Cycle complete"

I like this!

Well, it's 50% disaster today. Cable runs work, but the actuator does not. I need a motor from a cable operated car power window. We get these at work all the time, so I just have to be patient.

Now that rear wheel gets put on the front burner.

Well look what wayward wafe showed up on my doorstep like an orphaned baby! Let's see.........
Swept back design.
Tinted.
Rubber mounts
22" wide.
Yep, my windshield problems are solved. Since it wouln't require any frame or bracing I have less work to do, lighter weight, and a more finished look, hurray!!!

761.jpg

I just have to polish it. It's most likely acrylic.

That's gonna be sweet.

What is that windshield off of? Should be great for keeping the bugs off the little one, my kids will have a little windshield, might still need some goggles though. :mrgreen:

yoothgeye said:
What is that windshield off of? Should be great for keeping the bugs off the little one, my kids will have a little windshield, might still need some goggles though. :mrgreen:

Turns out it was from a bass boat, which burned up in a garage fire. And yea, bugs are a concern. Grandpa has a few other bikes that are need of a windshield for the same trail we plan on taking SH on!

Not much work done this weekend, too many adult things to do and had to work Sat. nite.
Did manage to get the rear wheel fixed up and rebuilt. This was the first order of business, get this nasty ding out.

759.jpg

Basically hit it with a rubber mallet over a wooden former.

Strippped and ready for paint.

766.jpg

Which I just threw on, I'll sand it and put on the second coat later. I wanted to get some paint where it can't get to when assembled.

Same process as front.

765.jpg

764.jpg

763.jpg

And Done!

762.jpg

Still have to think of a color for the sprocket, may be faux chrome.

Love thse rims.
Kudos for best use of the reflector tab as your hanger wire tie off.

Hey look, some sidecar work got done! Well, not very much. I'm getting it ready to put together and I needed to put the mounting holes in the frame.

773.jpg

Well, it's time to reveal the reason I chose this bike. I want to cantilever the sidecar mounts and have no diagonal braces of any kind. In order to accomplish this goal, you need a wide, solidly anchored surface to bolt to. The OCC chain and seat stays make for a nice platform to mount accessories.
774.jpg

Decided to bolt on the brake mount, just in case I have to move it, change it, or wish it was still attached at a critical moment.

772.jpg

For the handlebars and shifter I'm going Ralph Nader, )The Man who Killed the Click-Stick(. I originally wanted to braze a small piece of stem tube on the bars but felt that level of commitment was too high. So I made a clamp-on standoff out of an old drop bar brake handle.
771.jpg

770.jpg

I cannot personally destroy enough of these wretched things!!!!!

Bars are kinda' busy, safety and parts availability get a higher vote however. But hey, at least it's a Schwinn shifter.

769.jpg

768.jpg

And for YG, I've read somewhere you enjoy seeing work processes. And here ya go! In order to hold the frame on the drill press, I have a bungee hanging from the ceiling.

775.jpg

JoKeR63 said:

Finally an awesome use of those old brake housings. I can thing of a few more uses for them now. Nice redneck engineering (that's a compliment, by the way).

kingfish254 said:
JoKeR63 said:

Finally an awesome use of those old brake housings. I can thing of a few more uses for them now. Nice redneck engineering (that's a compliment, by the way).

That's why my pseudo bike LLC is called "Blind Luck Engineering".

Latest posts

Back