Schwinn Breeze 3 speed

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm cleaning up and making road ready a Schwinn Breeze 3 speed. Is the shift cable a special type or is there a junction for 2 cables? Looks like a barrel end goes in the adjuster as well as the shifter. Most of this cable is exposed which means the housing needs to be cut. Any advice?

Thank you! This helps a lot but maybe something is missing from the cable on the bike? Like one end goes in the adjuster and the other in the shifter? Looks like you need two cables unless I'm missing something.....

Another problem: The oil spout cap broke when I attempted to open it. Judging from the dry condition of headset and bottom bracket bearings the rear hub should be addressed also.

The nut and bolt hold the cable end, the other end threads on to the chain.
CABL7500.jpg

The original had a threaded tube that spun on the end of the cable, I don't know if those exist new. The replacement part in the above picture works with common cable and is widely available.

Local bike shop had a complete Sturmey Archer cable and an adjuster like the ones posted included. The spout just pops out or does the hub have to come apart?

Hub shouldnt have to be disassembled for shift chain replacement. It unscrews from the hub like a traditional screw, lefty loosey. But, chain removal shouldnt be necessary for cable replacement, the cable threads onto the shift chain allowing for adjustment.

Sent from my SM-G550T1 using Tapatalk

Local bike shop had a complete Sturmey Archer cable and an adjuster like the ones posted included. The spout just pops out or does the hub have to come apart?

Yeah, like Squirrel said, it threads in/out. The part is called an "indicator spindle" b/c you use the tiny indicator chain and the spindle attached to it to set up the shifting; with the cable tense but not strung-out, an the shifter in second, you dial the spindle in/out of the hub so the edge where the spindle meets the chain lines up in the window of the DS axle nut.

PS-- you clearly didn't look at the link I posted. :grin: That will answer all of your questions, plus most questions about Sturmey 3 speeds you may have in the future. Click on it. Read. Learn.

The oil spout cap broke when I tried to open it. Everything else posted about cables and adjustment makes sense at this point. Thanks for the answers! Never worked on a 3 speed...bikes I have worked on were coaster brake or derailleur.

I am hoping you will learn to love the sturmey 3sp as i have :) they are wonderful for commuting, as long as it isnt super hilly around you, and being able to shift, while retaining the simple looks of a single speed is nice!

The oil port cap is plastic, so the flap holding it often breaks, but the cap will pop back in there and stay most times. The hub should get light oil through that port. Whenever I adjusted my cable, I always took the little chain out and put some light oil down in the opening, just for good measure.

Once you've gone through and set up your shift cable, it will seem easy. On the Sturmey Archer, in 3rd, high gear, the cable should have just a tiny bit of slack. Then you adjust if need be to get 2nd, and first gear. On the older SA's, there's a neutral position between 2nd and 3rd gear, where the pedals will spin free. If it's out of adjustment, you may find it the hard way, hopefully not while standing on the pedals.

Shimano 3 speeds, older ones, had a mark you adjusted the cable to, they didn't use a chain, they had a inner rod and mechanism with alignment marks on to get it just right.

Thank you again, folks! Yeah I changed a cable on a Murray 3 speed with a Shimano hub. This was my Sister's bike decades ago. Should've taken it when Dad got rid of it.....Never took the hub apart but oiled it a couple times a year. Other than that NO 3 speeds. This one had the N inside a red round outline and you had to center that with shifter at N.

Looked at your link after I posted my questions. Sorry it was after the fact! Just got it back together this weekend. Not sure it shifts properly.....adjusted cable and adjusted the hub as described here and the cable kept going slack....BTW This is NOT my bicycle. It belongs to my Brother's Mother in law. She's recovering from cancer and wants it more for sentimental value which is why some of us are signed up here. I really appreciate the help! I didn't take any pictures but I'm sure I can get them to post it on Facebook or text some to me.

Latest posts

Back