Really ride your bikes?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Went for a ride yesterday, rode her bike as she'd complained that the seat was too close, I figured a layed back was, and is in order. Of course I stayed pretty close, about 12 miles total. I am beat! That thing destroyed me!
3" tires are for neighborhood cruises.......
DSC02282_zps3e1c72ed.jpg

The 3 speed was a blessing.
I did a bar end lay back seat set up today. Tightened up the springer today.
I cut 2" off each end of the bars, lowered the stem all the way down, figured out how to adjust the seat springs today.
After a short ride I may wack off all the end of the bars, as the angle the grips are at is useless for cranking, just have a flat curved bar, more track bike looking.

So my question to you is, do you build them for function or fashion? Post them pics, and how far you ride them, if you ride them.

omigosh yes. For me that's the reason I buy em. I've ridden new light tech bikes forever and my first ride on an old heavy klunker and I was in love. We can only really ride short lines here but there is a 6 mile bike path paved between two towns and our ski area which is so fun, and I sneak out on the flatter forestry roads and MTB trails too.

I dig riding them to our outdoor concerts and festivals and just parking up and chatting to people who stop and ask about them.

Not sure if I could stand having a bike in my house that was just for show. :p

I must add a disclaimer - I can't climb a hill for love nor money on my cruisers. It's a get off and walk situation.

I normally try to find a good balance between form and function. I once rode a Huffy Santa Fe (My Bootlegger Bike) single speed to Peru and back (15 miles each way) with a trailer and bike parts in tow. I was BEAT when I got home but I pulled it off. Now days I'd take my Diamondback mountain bike instead. Gears help and when you get out of the city you realize there is wind to contend with.

I ride my bikes a lot but mostly strip them down to make them lighter
outskirtscustoms said:
I normally try to find a good balance between form and function.
I try this too but sometime it's function more than form...

aka_locojoe said:
To me the secret is a good gear ration and raising the saddle to get your leg extension although it might not look as cool.

That is where I have an advantage. I'm short so I ride 26" beach cruisers with the seats slammed anyway. :mrgreen:

Mine - 9 miles a day guy... easy as breathin out and breathin in...

1353219031.jpg

My wifes - 10 miles a day... buck up!

DSCN1518.jpg

Another thing that makes a huge difference is to make sure all your bearings are greased and properly adjusted. I recently rebuilt my mountain bike and there is a huge difference in the way it rides and now it is effortless to go across town.

Great looking bikes guys!

Dougfisk, those two bikes are Killer!

I ride about 18 miles round trip everyday on my commute to and from work.
I have a handfull of bikes that I love to ride.

takingitdowntownBellowingYellow008.jpg

takingitdowntownBellowingYellow009.jpg

IMG_0593.jpg

I have been riding this Monark a lot lately. I raised the seat and put modern tires on makes a huge difference.
IMG_0816.jpg

This Schwinn is probably the most practical.
Modern alloy wheels Nexus 4 speed hub and great tires make it fun and fast.
Blackbike019.jpg

This is my most favorite and gets the most use.
buildoffbike5029.jpg

5948046827_4484dc7b21.jpg

I sure do have fun riding my bikes.
One big advantage about riding in the city of Chicago is its flat.
Which sure does help when riding big heavy bikes.

you never realize how many hills there are till you ride it on a heavy single speed. even tho I added a few pounds to my build off bike from last year I love riding it compared to most the others I have

dougfisk said:
Mine - 9 miles a day guy... easy as breathin out and breathin in...

1353219031.jpg

My wifes - 10 miles a day... buck up!

DSCN1518.jpg

Skip:

The green Schwinn-built is badged "Pullman". I don't know who sold "Pullman" but I do know there was a community, "company town", on the south side of Chicago called "Pullman"... :?:

I ride my bikes 6 miles a day. Unless it rains. I've been riding my Klunker a lot getting it sorted out, since it's going with us on vacation in March.
Kenny

img_2899.jpg

I really felt it after 14 miles on this heavyweight Worksman INB. The bike alone is heavy, but the HD 3 speed wheel weighs 10 lbs by itself. I'm using it just for 2 mile grocery runs now, I'll do longer rides on an Aluminum Dyno.

34hz8s2.jpg

I enjoy being on my bikes so much that I find that I usually ride them until I'm beat. Riding these big ol' cruisers really puts a big smile on my face. It's addicting!!

I ride this one about 2.5 miles per day with the dog. When my wife is off work and she can watch the hound (she is a teacher) I'll commute to work on it which is a 14 mile round trip. I added a Nexus 8, front drum brake and layback post. Those mods were for function. Wide rims and other goodies for fashion. It is heavy for a commuter, but my route is pretty flat, and the questions and looks that it gets makes it worth it. :D

IMG_0864.jpg

IMG_0860.JPG

Regards,

mikeeebikey said:
So my question to you is, do you build them for function or fashion? Post them pics, and how far you ride them, if you ride them.

Bikes are beautiful... until they are for display only.

i work til dark during the winter but we usually get to ride around 15 miles every weekend. Best thing I did to the Dyno was lace in a Nexus 7 speed! We live in VERY hilly country. You might try going back to aluminum wheels and 2.125 tires? Looks like you have steel wheels with heavy spokes and tires. Just a suggestion. :)

schwinnndyno005_zps4316ed78.jpg

yoothgeye said:
Bikes are beautiful... until they are for display only.

Agreed. I take the same position regarding people that buy, say, a '67 Shelby Mustang and refuse to actually drive it. These are machines that were designed for a function. Not using them for that function is a waste.

Latest posts

Back