BO15 RaTs GaSs...Great year all!...pg 26

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Another fabbed tank...quite a few different versions this year. Looking good.

Sent using Tapatalk

Another fabbed tank...quite a few different versions this year. Looking good.

Sent using Tapatalk
That tank won't be on my build, a trial run that didn't make the cut. You must have just tuned in, Ed. Watch the latest Videologue Update on page 6. No commercials.

RaTs GaSs build Day # 14....fighting to stay on Page 1 !

Holy posting on threads Batman! The building this week has been fast and furious!

So in an effort to not be designated as a "page 2 slacker", here's a little something I just got in the mail tonight and added to the Hamm's beer vintage can / gasser fuel tank:

20200514_161821.jpg

MQQN Eyes ! As a gasser, this baby is going to have logos representing of the era. First of many, I hope. Then I slapped the spectra-fade tank on for a mock up just to see the chrome up against that color.

20200514_160209.jpg
20200514_160317.jpg

Rat Fink approved!

RaT oN~!

That’s really cool! That comes out of a spray can?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
SoulG, it's Duplicolor Metalcast spray. Transparent, so it shows the shiny color / chrome underneath.

I'm going to be a stickler here, put those moon eyes on properly! The eyes should be level with the tops leaning to the right.
So the pupils are level then? Thanks for the tip!

RaTs GaSs build Day # 14....fighting to stay on Page 1 !

Holy posting on threads Batman! The building this week has been fast and furious!

So in an effort to not be designated as a "page 2 slacker", here's a little something I just got in the mail tonight and added to the Hamm's beer vintage can / gasser fuel tank:

View attachment 120563

MQQN Eyes ! As a gasser, this baby is going to have logos representing of the era. First of many, I hope. Then I slapped the spectra-fade tank on for a mock up just to see the chrome up against that color.

View attachment 120565View attachment 120564

Rat Fink approved!

RaT oN~!
I’m a noob. What’s a page 2 slacker?

I’m a noob. What’s a page 2 slacker?
David, it's a builder who hasn't kept up with the pace of the builds, so has no recent comments from others, and as a result ends up off the front page of the builder list. "page 2" in our case this year. A couple years we actually had "page 3 slackers" as well.
Not meant to be derogatory. More or less just a self-incriminating inside joke on ourselves! :bigsmile:

RaTs GaSs build Day # 15

Upon @Falstaff 's suggestion, I looked for some filler that I could use to smooth out the ripple luke surface of the pink insulation board. I had the fresh can of Wood Filler, nice and creamy and spreads easily, then hardens and can be sanded.

I did so on my test piece, and then applied a corner of my chrome vinyl wrap. You can see in the photo how much smoother the small piece is than the previous attempt on the tank.

Looks like it's going to be 'body shop' day at the BACK40.
20200515_092740.jpg

20200515_092929.jpg

I'm going to be a stickler here, put those moon eyes on properly! The eyes should be level with the tops leaning to the right.

I agree. "MOON" and pupils level. Cool touch for the gasser tank.

1589566998090.png

...so....you ever have one of those days where it feels like you've got a plan, and your first test result looks like you are on the right track; and then in the end the whole thing gets derailled?? :mad:

As I was finishing up the second side of the body panel, the first side's vinyl was already coming loose. :doh:

I'll be riding this bike, it never would have held up. The chalky surface of the wood filler wouldn't take to the adhesive. I know you're gonna say, "You could have painted it or sealed it in some way first before you put the vinyl on. Yes, that might be true. But I'm out of vinyl and don't want to spend that money again, you know?

So, I just painted the first side with a gray primer and then a coat of my metallic finish that I have used to 'chrome'parts in the past. Boy, do those trowel marks with the spackling tool ever show up well.:envy:

Crap.

At least it was a Top 10 day in Minnesota.
20200515_153725.jpg
20200515_153725.jpg

20200515_155324.jpg
20200515_160545.jpg

Hope your day went better than mine.

I enjoyed the videologs Oddjob. Maybe I should try one aswel, you got me inspired!
Love the gas tank up front!

I was wondering if the lower part of the frame which you filled could be a shiny leather framebag. Like the gasser/cars of that era interior. Put some mooneyes/rat fink stickers in there. And some tools.

Again: I really enjoy this build!!

Smooth out the insulation a bit with bondo or fiberglass, assuming that type of insulation can take the heat.
Chrome tank looks good.
Polyester resin might eat into the foam, I would use epoxy and glass cloth. Just remember polyester and epoxy don't mix well (using one over the other), use one or the other.
Yea, epoxy is the way to go in my opinion.
A lot of people use it for building "foamie" campers.
You should have listened! :headbang: Sorry it didn't work out for you. If you want to try again, you don't need vinyl for wraps. Stop at a local sign shop and see if they have regular chrome vinyl, it's not expensive and you could just buy a few feet of it. I'll check to see if I have any chrome, but I doubt it.

...so....you ever have one of those days where it feels like you've got a plan, and your first test result looks like you are on the right track; and then in the end the whole thing gets derailled?? :mad:

As I was finishing up the second side of the body panel, the first side's vinyl was already coming loose. :doh:

I'll be riding this bike, it never would have held up. The chalky surface of the wood filler wouldn't take to the adhesive. I know you're gonna say, "You could have painted it or sealed it in some way first before you put the vinyl on. Yes, that might be true. But I'm out of vinyl and don't want to spend that money again, you know?

So, I just painted the first side with a gray primer and then a coat of my metallic finish that I have used to 'chrome'parts in the past. Boy, do those trowel marks with the spackling tool ever show up well.:envy:

Crap.

At least it was a Top 10 day in Minnesota.
View attachment 120698View attachment 120698
View attachment 120699View attachment 120700

Hope your day went better than mine.
Remember what Edison said about the light bulb?
It's not a failure, you just learned one way to not do it.

Latest posts

Back