Rat Rod (The U-Bute!)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All my custom pushies have always had nice paint jobs so I wanted something that I didn't have to look after the paint
and was practical. Love Rat Rods so went along with that theme, buffed off all the paint and just let the ocean that
surronds me do her job, even during the build a nice rusty patina started to appear.

Here is a sketch and the main parts of the frame before assembly.
pc167797.jpg
pc157792.jpg

It was a beautiful day out in the South Pacific so took my new ride for an adventure and some pic's.
pc197854.jpg
pc197863.jpg

pc197860.jpg
pc197859.jpg

The bike and the dog shot and as I said she has to be practical so rear milk crate cut down as a freight box and surf board rack
pc187833.jpg
pc197835.jpg

That's my Micheal Peterson shaped Shane surfboard, MP sadly died this year, a legend with a cult following in the Australian surfing world.
pc197837.jpg
pc197846.jpg

Bit of detail on the beast, rigged up my Riemann Piccolo light, but scared it may get stolen so made up another light.
pc197855.jpg
pc197857.jpg

Used a modded rear axel stand, bent a loop in it to make it shorter.
pc197866.jpg
pc197884.jpg

Nice chain guard, the shifter lever is a piano pedal with a small piston mounted at one end, have made it so it can swivel around the pipe
it's mounted to so you can have the piston up on the left hand side, why, just because I can!
pc197881.jpg
pc197878.jpg

pc197886.jpg
pc197885.jpg

Now the name U-bute in Australia we tend to shorten up the english language and use unrelated ryhming as well, some
Aussie slang for example, "Me and the Mrs are hitting the frog and toad down to Steak and Kidney in the u-bute!"
This translates to, "My wife and I are hitting the road down to Sydney in the utility vehicle!" Utilities are pretty popular
down under they even have a yearly ute muster where light trucks of all shapes, sizes and descriptions meet and play
games, see the link below!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ute_muster

Thanks folks, Yeah CRASH many call Australia the lucky country, I know I am very lucky to
live on my little piece of Oz. KC sol cal, yeah nice to ride put a smaller front sprocket than
previous bikes and it makes a big difference plus she has a nice riding position. LukeTheJoker
knew an Aussie would pick up on the name, love your Cadillac build she's a beast mate!

Been riding around on her a bit getting a few comments, local kids asking when am I
going to finish her, she is finished mate rat look!

That's a heck of a bike. Nice job. I like the position of the handlebars. It looks like a comfortable bike.
Just out of curiosity, If you were to sell this, how much would it be?

Nice of you to think she is worthy of buying, killer would be freight from me to you, I live
700klms (420 miles) north east of Sydney, Australia out in the South Pacific. Not for sale
sorry, I sort of fall in love with my bikes, would always regret selling one I think.

Have been riding this baby a fair bit of late, people love her, best comment "when are you going to finish it".

She is finished she's a Rat! Added a bit here and there, used part of a de-railier to take some slack out of the chain,
works well. Also a bit of $2.00 shop Ratty detail, bit corny yep but gives a bit of a hint for the non rat believers.
pc267949.jpg
pc267954.jpg

Changed the tail light as well, that is a 60's VW Karman Ghia rear light with a cheapy torch mounted up inside.
pc267952.jpg
pc267953.jpg

It was a cracking day out in the South Pacific today warm with light winds, great beach day!
pc267957.jpg
pc267960.jpg

I fully understand your love for your bikes, it happens to me too.
I was not implying that I wanted to buy it or anything, I was just curious about this bikes apprx. value.

Again Congrats on a great build!

herku1004 said:
I fully understand your love for your bikes, it happens to me too.
I was not implying that I wanted to buy it or anything, I was just curious about this bikes apprx. value.

Again Congrats on a great build!

Have been thinking about how I answer this for a couple of days, far from insulted that you think
my bike is worth buying in fact quite the opposite as I said above I am honoured that someone
else would like to own her. As for value this is such a hard thing to answer as when you build
something you have your passion tied up in it therefore your thoughts are somewhat clouded!

I don't like to spend much money on my builds and I am driven to build with less as I live very
isolated. In true hot rod style I love that whole build with what ya got theme. On this bike I
paid for the tyres, seat and bars, everything else is scratch built and/or scrounged from the
local dump.

Value I guess is based on what people will pay, for example I have always had problems with
the value of art, art can be so personal I may hate something that others love.

Now I am not saying my bikes are art but I have had someone call one of my bikes "The World's
Slowest Indian" rolling art, wow does a comment like that go to your head bigtime!

A few years ago I was chatting with a guy in a second hand shop, he told me he always puts really
high prices on things he doesn't really want to sell that way if he sells it he at least feels a bit better
because he made some money.

Can't really answer your question so fall back onto a couple of oldies but goodies, "something is
only worth what someone will pay" and "beauty is in the eye of the beholder"!

Thanks again for your kind words!

Now the name U-bute in Australia we tend to shorten up the english language and use unrelated ryhming as well, some
Aussie slang for example, "Me and the Mrs are hitting the frog and toad down to Steak and Kidney in the u-bute!"
This translates to, "My wife and I are hitting the road down to Sydney in the utility vehicle!" Utilities are pretty popular
Haha, I love aussie slang!

Sick rat too! Those tires really pop in there.

Revisited Rat Rod (The U-Bute!)

Always wanted to add this to the gap in the frame of my rat, we don't see those cool early American frames
downunder, looks a bit more like one of those now all be it stretched and the rust needs to catch up!

qng6.jpg
mo7b.jpg

Also added a couple of fresh finds, scored this early english Butler head light and a previous score a Buick stop/tail light.
r2f6.jpg
wwv8.jpg

fgjq.jpg
o4u3.jpg

Bike & scenery are absolutely awesome, great pics, great bike, looks like a great place to live!!!!!!!!! Love the new lights, they definitely add to it. Great job and thanks for sharing from down under. 8)

That's awesome, livin right there on the coast I would put a couple coats of clear on it or she'll be brown in less then a week!! :shock:

Latest posts

Back