Raleigh Chopper MK-1

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Picked this up from a movie/TV props sale.
1972 MK-2.
Was universally filthy and had some rust.
I tore it completely down and dealt with literally ever part. It's clean as heck now.

Someone a had welded a crossbar to the bars. I cut that off with a dremel.

The front tire is a Michelin moped tire. Sourcing a Raleigh. The rear tire is a Raleigh reproduction.

I still need to do some seat patching. Then I'll reassemble in earnest and give the finishes a final waxing.
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

Nice work Joe, Great Save!
I'm glad you got that bike, I didn't see it in the place you got it, but obviously it went to the right home.:thumbsup:
I haven't seen anything that cleans up as well as the old Raleigh and Schwinn chrome.

PS- I've reached out to a local Raleigh guy to see if I can help source your tire and cotter pins.

Last edited:
Nice work Joe, Great Save!
I'm glad you got that bike, I didn't see it in the place you got it, but obviously it went to the right home.:thumbsup:
I haven't seen anything that cleans up as well as the old Raleigh and Schwinn chrome.

Thanks. I actually got this at a different place about a month ago.

Man, lots of parts on this pig.
My hands have only just begun to lose their cramping. Just in time to start another project.

Terrific job! Looks great!

I'm wondering what the hole in the middle of the front hub is there for? Is there a cap, and it's a fill hole for grease?

Yes, it's a hole for lubricating the inner workings. The rear hub has a similar opening, but has a plastic cap. Sturmey Archer instructs to only use oil for the rear hub. No grease in the pawls. Since front only has bearings, I'd imagine grease is the way to go.
The front hub has a band with an indentation that covers the hole. I'll snap a photo later.

Picked this up from a movie/TV props sale.
1972 MK-2.
Was universally filthy and had some rust.
I tore it completely down and dealt with literally ever part. It's clean as heck now.

Someone a had welded a crossbar to the bars. I cut that off with a dremel.

The front tire is a Michelin moped tire. Sourcing a Raleigh. The rear tire is a Raleigh reproduction.

I still need to do some seat patching. Then I'll reassemble in earnest and give the finishes a final waxing.
View attachment 19764 View attachment 19765 View attachment 19766 View attachment 19767 View attachment 19768 View attachment 19769 View attachment 19770 View attachment 19771 View attachment 19772 View attachment 19773 View attachment 19774 View attachment 19775 View attachment 19776 View attachment 19777 View attachment 19778 View attachment 19779
Surgical precision on your rebuild. Nice job

Thanks, by the way. My favorite thing to do.

Yes, it's a hole for lubricating the inner workings. The rear hub has a similar opening, but has a plastic cap. Sturmey Archer instructs to only use oil for the rear hub. No grease in the pawls. Since front only has bearings, I'd imagine grease is the way to go.
The front hub has a band with an indentation that covers the hole. I'll snap a photo later.

Nice bike , and looks like it's coming along great - I love the Raleigh Choppers and have a few in my build que, maybe get some progress done this year, lol.

That is NOT, however, a MkII.. it's a late Mark 1 crossover model.
MK1 frame, looks like the longer MK1 seat to me. Has the MK2 bars and later pedal style ( both of which are known to crossover on both models ).
Unusual and a nice example of the 'crossover' style.

Nice bike , and looks like it's coming along great - I love the Raleigh Choppers and have a few in my build que, maybe get some progress done this year, lol.

That is NOT, however, a MkII.. it's a late Mark 1 crossover model.
MK1 frame, looks like the longer MK1 seat to me. Has the MK2 bars and later pedal style ( both of which are known to crossover on both models ).
Unusual and a nice example of the 'crossover' style.

Hey Green Dragon,
Thanks for your post. MK-II typo on my part. Had it right in the title. Age creeping in...

Which bikes have bars with a conventional (adjustable) stem? My bars are fixed.

The MK1 has the normal 2 piece bars / stem . MkII were supposed to be 'safer' ( won't slip forward sending rider over the bars.), but I find them small and uncomfortably close to the rider.
The general understanding is with the crossover bikes, some MK1 had the MKII bars or pedals, and some MKII had the 'old style' 2 piece bars and stem, also that some late MK1 had the MKII pedals. ( rubber block like yours as opposed to the chrome edged bow style ).
I do think yours looks completely correct, especially given the later date you posted.

• The MK1 has the normal 2 piece bars / stem . MkII were supposed to be 'safer' ( won't slip forward sending rider over the bars.), but I find them small and uncomfortably close to the rider.
    The general understanding is with the crossover bikes, some MK1 had the MKII bars or pedals, and some MKII had the 'old style' 2 piece bars and stem, also that some late MK1 had the MKII pedals. ( rubber block like yours as opposed to the chrome edged bow style ).
    I do think yours looks completely correct, especially given the later date you posted.

Very cool. Thanks for the info. I love the oddball nature of transition bikes. I have a few old school BMX bikes that are "transition" frames. Somehow these things seem to find me.

Finished (except for brake pads & R nuts which I have.)
Pretty happy with it.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    675.9 KB · Views: 365
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    858.1 KB · Views: 328
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    370.2 KB · Views: 326
  • image.jpg