prewar Columbia stencils - how to preserve paint?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi
I got myself this prewar Columbia frame for my next project off ebay
I find the colour scheme (dark grey + sharp red) & patterns so great I would like to either preserve it or restore it (the second option is actually my favourite as this would allow me to "clean" the frame) so does anyone know where I could get my hands on a set of stencils similar to the patterns pictured (including Columbia brand name) - alternatively any painting advice (in addition to those that can be found in the How To Manual: Paint/Cosmetics) is most welcome indeed (not sure where to start here to be honest)
Thanks a lot in advance
Cheers
Ben
290vt76.jpg

hv8co6.jpg

10f3vyt.jpg

The thing about Columbias is that they had many, many variarions of those frame 'darts'. I don't know of stencils available for anything other than Schwinn, but I have seen nos Decals such as the 'Columbia Supreb' on ebay. Great find! ~Adam

well you can always try here......
http://www.mapleislandsales.com/product ... php?ID=304
they might have one
as for the scallops...id get a measuring tape and camera and take very careful measurements(along with tons of pics) or you might be able to get away with tracing paper to get them copied perfectly(id still measure everything to be safe though)
hope this helps!

Re: prewar Columbia - saddle clamp

Hi
ok I got some decals from Bicyclebones off ebay and I am going to draw the stencils myself with a vector graphic software
but this time I need some further information as
I got myself an original prewar Columbia seatpost for the frame above
351svb5.jpg

but can someone tell me how I could attach a modern Brooks saddle to it (the diameter is about 10 to 15 mm - not actually measured) , what is the adaptator I need / could someone please post a picture or detail the adaptor?
Thanks a lot in advance
Cheers
Beng

im not really sure about online.......you could try googling it.
i got mine from college cyclery.....youd probably be best off to just got to a hardware store and get some pipe that fits snug over the post and just cut it to size

I don't know how interested you really are, but I could make a set of stencils. It could take a little time "cleaning" the vector art, on my end, to get them looking right. I cut these as stickers on my plotter after drawing the art and scanning. Just using the negative space of the vinyl cutting would give you a stencil and not a sticker.
Devilmademe3.jpg

ADSfin5.jpg

This is actually stencil and painted on
chainguard.jpg

Latest posts

Back