Phantom Advise: Buy it?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
have the chance to get a 50s frame (i dont remember if he said 53 or 58) + sprocket + Crank + Chain for $75. Looks like there has been a little repaint on the front. The rack has been repainted with a tragic ghost flame on it but it is solid. I did some pricing and it's a little all over the map. I am wondering if this seems like a solid deal? I am feeling like it is but would like any advice or maybe some things to look for when deciding. Thanks.

He mentioned that it was a locking head tube? What does that refer to?

Locking head tube will have a litle "mouse hole" shaped tab on the inside, toward the bottom. This is there to keep the bottom bearing cup from moving. BTW, the bottom cup will be longer and have a cutout to slide around that tab. All these things are there to accomodate a locking springer fork. This would also date the frame pre 55 as the springer design changed that year, the locking type was no more. :wink: @ 75.00 as long as it is in good shape, a good buy. :mrgreen:

Looks like you have the "locking" bottom cup and the proper head badge. Any more pics of the other componants? Your lucky I am not there, I would have snagged that one quick! LOL 8)

I am 99% sure I'm gonna pick it up but I 100% sure I want it. It helps that I like the guy selling it. We have made a few deals so I am comfortable working with the guy. I appreciate the info and am thankful you weren't there too!! :!:

I've got a Phantom frame hanging in my basement, bead blasted and epoxy primed. I wouldn't even consider taking less than $100 for it. You're looking at a great deal...JUMP! Gary

Latest posts

Back