NEW STUFF AT WAL-MART (Op Bike PICS ADDED)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
kingfish254 said:
I never realized that the racks that the bikes sit in slid out for easy viewing.

Oh yeah, I'm always pulling them out, some Walmarts have the upper racks that pull out and down, very cool.

On that single speed, look at the rear hub, it's probably a flip flop and can be made fixed with a cog and lock ring. When I bought my Mongoose Cachet it said nothing about the fact that it had a flip flop hub, but a quick visual inspection showed that it was indeed and already had a lock ring installed, I just threw a $6 track cog on it.

There were three of the Mongoose bikes there, all with bars assembled the exact same way. The rear hub was threaded on the non-drive side, but did not have a second cog like the Thruster Fixie does. It may be the case that you can swap the cog from side to side? Will investigate further.

When I came over to look at the bikes, a guy and his wife had just finished riding a bike up and down the aisle and were trying to cram it back into the (closed) rack. They seemed surprised when I pulled out another rack to examine a bike.

I have 2 sitting in my shed right now on the floor :D They're good to park your bikes upright without a kickstand :wink:

kingfish254 said:
Georgeediii said:
I wonder if Mongoose intended for the bars to be assembled that way or if they just have sombody cool working at your local Walmart?

I never realized that the racks that the bikes sit in slid out for easy viewing.

Couple pics I've been meaning to post:

wal5.jpg

One local Wal-Mart was blowing out the sidehacks they had in stock for $150. Hard to tell what they are in the pic with all the grills in the background. They're cool looking, but I have no idea what I'd do with one. Maybe if they get down to $75.

wal6.jpg

There is now a multi-speed version of the Onyx bike for $179. The only one I have seen so far looks like bare aluminum.

yoothgeye said:
If they came out with an Onyx 3 or 5 speed with an internal geared hub with coaster, then I'd be interested.

The Nexus 7 coaster is a nice compliment to this bike. All in weight of under 30lb for a bike rolling on 28x2.35 big apples does make a great ride.

Toeslider said:
My local Wal-Mart just restocked the bikes, I saw at least 10 that were new and interesting. Sorry if any of these are reposts. Here are some of the more interesting ones:

New 29er similar to the Onyx by Genesis, $149:
wal1.jpg

Flat Black Schwinn Cruiser did not have a price yet:
wal2.jpg

Schwinn Cruiser with rack for $129
wal3.jpg

Interesting looking Mongoose single-speed (not a fixie, if it was I'd buy it) for $149. Interesting bar treatment:
wal4.jpg

Also, it appears the short-lived partnership with DK BMX Bicycles is done with. Out of 150 bikes or so, I spied one lone DK General Lee. All others were gone. I can't believe they would sell out of them, wonder if they sent them back?

It's bad enough when they put the spokes on backwards, but now they are putting handlebars upside down??? Silly Walmart guys!

Buck Masterson said:
Toeslider said:
My local Wal-Mart just restocked the bikes, I saw at least 10 that were new and interesting. Sorry if any of these are reposts. Here are some of the more interesting ones:

New 29er similar to the Onyx by Genesis, $149:
wal1.jpg

Flat Black Schwinn Cruiser did not have a price yet:
wal2.jpg

Schwinn Cruiser with rack for $129
wal3.jpg

Interesting looking Mongoose single-speed (not a fixie, if it was I'd buy it) for $149. Interesting bar treatment:
wal4.jpg

Also, it appears the short-lived partnership with DK BMX Bicycles is done with. Out of 150 bikes or so, I spied one lone DK General Lee. All others were gone. I can't believe they would sell out of them, wonder if they sent them back?

It's bad enough when they put the spokes on backwards, but now they are putting handlebars upside down??? Silly Walmart guys!

The flat black schwinn is 149. Just got one the other day.
630ae022-8357-81c3.jpg

Chips_Mahoy said:
Fahrrad said:
I like the 29", but do not like the "V" style rims.

3363c096.jpg

I saw this one the other day. I couldn't believe they were running 29x2.125 tires on a700c style rim..... :shock:

Those are triple wall deep V 48 spoke rims. I have a hunch the rat rodders of the next century will be thinking of them like S7... A little heavy but with a durability that his hard to imagine in our time.

largek9 said:
:) Nice ! I'd do the same I can't stand those fat tube forks. Its hard to beat a sringer front. yours looks great!
thanks man! I'm just getting into bikes. I've been building ratrod motorcycles for a while, but this bike thing is a lot cheaper!!

This is my OP cruiser that my 3 daughters got me for my birthday last year... I know the OP is not the greatest of bikes, but the mere fact that my girls got it for me dictates that it will be a keeper :)

6b017821-eaca-170b.jpg

That OP is priceless, plus it has some nice lines and a trip-tree.

Latest posts

Back