Nashira's 1965 Schwinn Hollywood

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Anonymous

*This is actually a duplicate post to my reader's rides page on Vancruisers.... my apologies to those who read both....* ;)

Ahh, my Schwinn.... she's my first cruiser love. The one that will never be replaced in her slot as number one! You know that bike... everybody has one.

CRW_5505.jpg

I'll never forget the day I bought her.... it was my first time at the annual cruiser swap meet on Main st, and I was already overwhelmed by the extreme coolness in every direction. I was outside, checking out the bikes for sale, looking through old rusty whatnots... when my eyes fell apon a heap of bike parts with an old rusty blue frame. No wheels, three fenders, two forks and an old 'S' seat that wasn't attached. I was in love!!

CRW_5500.jpg

CRW_5501.jpg

CRW_5502.jpg

$50 later I was hauling her home with a mixed sense of glee and "ok, what do I do with it first?". I've put a lot of work in since those first days, and I can definitely say that no other bike is as familiar to me... or has been such a pain at times! She has some interesting personality traits... like the fact that she's actually a teenager's bike, meaning cramming 26" wheels on was a bit of a feat (but dammit, they look so sweet!). There's also the fact that she seems completely indestructable.... we had a wipeout on a hill a few years ago, and my bike literally chewed up Bryn's bike and spit it out. His bike came through with bent rims, a broken stem, a broken crank and a mangled drink holder.... my girl soldiered through with little more than a scuff on her handlebars.

CRW_5506.jpg

She's a tank with oodles of personality... and I love every moment I'm riding with her!

haha

Haha like the story, Yeah these old schwinners are tough. haha i love em. Nice wheels. how manys spokes are they?

They're 72 spoke hotties...

I needed to buy wheels for my new rugged pile of parts, but I had recently left my job as I was about to go back to school and only had so much money left. I was waffling like crazy, and a buddy of mine basically took me out on his pair of sweet bikes, got me nice and buzzed on a few brews, and took me down to the LBS. LOL

I was all plied with liqour, and happily handed the money over to the man... my last cash in the world before the life of a student... but I've never regretted it!

Those would look good on a project im doing. Do they come in 24 in?

I'm pretty sure they do... I've seen them in 20 inch even...

You can probably find them at any one of the online lowrider parts sites... check out our links section over at Vancruisers for a listing of some of them.
http://vancruisers.ca/links

(they're on the lower right of the page, near the bottom)

Once again nice bike with a great story. I cant say enough how a great photo does these bikes justice.

P.s. The little bit of rust is perfect!

ricksterr1221: Thanks! I try to keep my rockin' levels high, for just such emergencies!

cman: Thanks again for your praises.... I'm glad the images and story were enjoyed... she's my first love after all! And I totally agree with you on the rust... I like that she's all rugged at the heart of her (the frame) but all her bits are new, shiny and kinda mean. Makes her look like she's weathered through life, and isn't going to take it lying down! Old, but kicking it pimp style! LOL

I like this one - the contrast between the weathered rusty parts and the shiny new bits is always a favourite. Makes me want to put together a girls frame bike just 'cuz it's cool.

Great photos too :D

-Mp

Multipass: That's totally what I love about her too... all rusty with such eye catching chrome... oh yeah! I've actually gone so far as to wax her up, so I know the rust level will stay just as it is right now!

I love it when I get her going on a sunny day, and you have the chrome flashing all over the gnarly old frame... it's like having my own personal disco... :)

karfer67: At the moment I'm using a Canon 10D, but these photos are from my early days with a 300D (back when I was just learning what's what with digital). Ah.. memories... 8)

Latest posts

Back