Namesake bike - 62Higgins

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Finally, after joining the forum in September, I take the time to get educated in posting pics and actually post a bike.

The picture isn't the best, but it's a start.

This is the bike that inspired my screen name. A JC Higgins I got at a police auction a few years back, cost.......$1. I have a twin to it that had all the original parts except the front wheel/tire, got that one for $7.

Stem and Mag chainring off a Schwinn, Rollfast handlebars, fork/headset off a Wallyworld Next, 3 speed Nexus wheelset from Nashbar with IRC Metro tires. Rear rack and grips are off the more (till now) complete twin. Seat off a '70 womens Rollfast that I gave to my aunt.

I still need to paint the fork black and mount the shifter. I think a tank insert is needed to finish it properly too.

Now that I know how to post pics I can post the whole fleet, which I will try to do this weekend.

62H

Ratbike02.jpg

The dropouts on that are cool lookin. The rear rack is cool too. Keep us updated as you finish the build.

Chainy,

If it goes to Ontario, Ryan will have to be on it. You know me, I need my 7 speeds, this puppy only has 3 (and it is way too small for my 6'2" body).

I am not sure what I'll be bringing, but something that fits on the rack better than my K2 rat I rode last time.

I am thinking there is a Rat Streetfighter or Rat Supermoto brewing in my head.........Some form of double diamond frame with a short (quick handling) wheelbase.

Only time will tell.

Thanks for all the kind words guys. I'll try to get 'er finished and post updated pics.

62H

I forgot to tell you that from the first glance of the bike and even today, it reminds me of a 57 Chevy. I think that it's the style of the luggage rack combined with the red color. Looking forward to seeing it in person someday.
Dirty Betsy and Dora say...HI!

Chainy,

Yes, I have similar thoughts about the rack. When viewed from the rear it reminds me of a early 60's Impala, has the 2 reflectors under a little lip etc etc.

If I can get enough miles on it to prove it reliable, maybe we'll bring it. Problem is, by July the kid may be as tall as me.

Dirty Betsy? That daibolical kidknap artist from your state isn't lurking in the shadows is he? Keep the girl on a short leash, we don't need a reapeat of the Hamilton caper.

I think Ryan may be planning some payback for that frame job BZ tried to pull off. The kid has not trusted out of state, hairy, he-man types since, no matter their allegiance to all things Rat.

Tell Giggles we say "Hi".

Latest posts

Back