My swingbikes & a link to a survey to see if they should...

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: 16" SWINGBIKE and a new 20" swinger

Here is a link to see the black bike in action in France. I believe a RatRodBike member now owns it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9zkYiguR1m0

Here are a couple of customs for someone who really liked KRAM's swingbike.
viewtopic.php?f=21&t=13245&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&hilit=swing+thing#p133251

(Kram, I hope you don't mind.)

The paint wrinkled up on the second coat. wrinkled finish seen in the first picture. It was a hot day, and I guess I waited too long. I sanded them smooth and they had an awesome antiqued look with a little primer and metal showing through on the edges, but then gave them a third coat :( . I liked them better with the "vintage" look. They are a little too shiny now.

IMG_2615.jpg

IMG_2611.jpg

IMG_2614.jpg

Check out htis site! This is the same guy that made the reproduction swingers in 2003. Take his little survey and you could win one. He is trying to gauge the interest in swingbikes to see if he will make more. I emailed him and suggested he build 16" bikes as well.

http://www.theswingbike.com/

Well. I had some parts laying around and the kids are just about tall enough to reach the pedals now, so here goes another 16" mini swingbike. I've thought about calling it a swingbike "runabout" or maybe a swingabout. IDK... anyway here it is so far. This one is going to be 16" front and back. I plan on doing it a candy red.

DSCI0183.jpg

DSCI0184.jpg

DSCI0186.jpg

DSCI0188.jpg

DSCI0187.jpg

DSCI0190.jpg

I'm curious how much they are going for on ebay?? What's your ebay ID? I'd probably bid on one, I think they look like fun.

This is an old thread, I haven't been building anything for a while. I decided to build this one because I had the parts sitting around and the kids are showing interest. I have a friend that I have been getting rear triangles from to use and cut up. The rear triangles are basically leftover parts from the 2003 run of swingbikes. He is selling frames on ebay right now. I think he is trying to get about $240 for both frame peices. You can put the rest together with a donor bike and an extra headset or two depending on the size of the headset on the donor bike. His user I.D. is impala66k Try his email first. His email is [email protected] Don't mention ebay or the ebay price, just email and ask him what a cost is for a frame. You may get lucky with a lower price.

Here are a couple links to his what he has. He has the parts to make the seat posts. I cut 30 or 40 for him a couple of years ago. You don't NEED a spring set or locking pin. I can help you make a budget locking pin and spring setup if you want to use them.

http://cgi.ebay.com/New-SWINGBIKE-VINTA ... 588cffabfc
http://cgi.ebay.com/SWINGBIKE-VINTAGE-M ... 1e621f0d59

I looked for a while for a threaded 16" fork to use. I missed out on an awesome pixie deal in the for sale thread here. I could have used almost everything on it and I wouldn't have had to cut or paint any of it. Oh well. I ended up making my own 16" fork. It isn't the exact same shape, but it is really close and I am not using it on a schwinn anyway. Here it is.

DSCI0182-Copy.jpg

DSCI0183-Copy.jpg

DSCI0185-Copy.jpg

DSCI0187-Copy.jpg

DSCI0189-Copy.jpg

DSCI0190-Copy.jpg

Not too worried about cost - lol, I have donor bikes....

Never having owned a swingbike, was curious if someone could provide technical details ( someone should make a plan set :wink: ),

1) aprox radius of the frame tube curve ? tubing size ?

2) what is the side supports of the triangle made from ? looks like sheet stock, if so what thickness is that ?

3) closeup pics or details on the stem/ seat support ?

Could just wing it and make something workable, but curious if any one has the details, or just built as they come ? lol.

thanks.

~ AL

bikebuilder said:
They originally came out in the '70's. They were made for a couple of years. Then in 2003, 250 more were made. I am having tubing bent and building these. I am almost done though. I hear that they might be produced commercialy again in the next couple of years.

They are a blast to ride. I am going to make a new video soon with these nicer bikes and some of the originals. Here is our first video with home made recycled scrap metal swingbikes for those who haven't seen it. This was befor I knew I could have tubing bent locally. The red bike used to be part trampoline part VW, part air compressor.... The orange ome my brother made with left over roll cage tubing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R5P70XtI4zQ
.... there cool! can you make a trike of that?

bikebuilder said:
Well. I had some parts laying around and the kids are just about tall enough to reach the pedals now, so here goes another 16" mini swingbike. I've thought about calling it a swingbike "runabout" or maybe a swingabout. IDK... anyway here it is so far. This one is going to be 16" front and back. I plan on doing it a candy red.

DSCI0183.jpg

DSCI0184.jpg

DSCI0186.jpg

DSCI0188.jpg

DSCI0187.jpg

DSCI0190.jpg
Nice cabenets!

wolfy, Yes a trike would work. The back end would work like a skateboard truck. and thanks on the cabinets?...

Random Bikes, Thanks, and do you have pics of yours on here? I guess I can just do a search.

That would be awesome! i want to extend my 3 wheeler.

Here are update photos for the new mini and another custom swinger.
Don't pay too much attention to the welds, I am using a craftsman flux core wire only mig. I cut and drilled all the locking mechanism pieces, bolted them together and welded them in place. Now it's time for bondo to cover some of the welds and finish off the "lugged" look around the head tubes.
DSCI0190-Copy2.jpg

DSCI0191-Copy.jpg

New project. I was going to use this in the anything goes drag bike build off, but the timing didn't work out for me.

DSCI0184-Copy.jpg

A few pics after some bondo and rattle can. I used a silver engine enamel as a base color with duplicolor's metal cast red and some clear engine enamel on top. I hope it lasts.

DSCI0207-1.jpg

DSCI0208-1.jpg

DSCI0210.jpg

DSCI0209.jpg

DSCI0213.jpg

Green Dragon said:
Not too worried about cost - lol, I have donor bikes....

Never having owned a swingbike, was curious if someone could provide technical details ( someone should make a plan set :wink: ),

1) aprox radius of the frame tube curve ? tubing size ?

2) what is the side supports of the triangle made from ? looks like sheet stock, if so what thickness is that ?

3) closeup pics or details on the stem/ seat support ?

Could just wing it and make something workable, but curious if any one has the details, or just built as they come ? lol.

thanks.

~ AL

I think the radius is approx 6ft. It looks like the guys I have bend it left a mark on my template. I have been there a few times and they thought it would be easier for them to remember this way. They marked it as 3'6" radius. I had 20' lengths rolled for me. When I loaded them on top of my van, they hung over a couple of feet on either side.

The length of the top frame is from center of the rear head tube to center front 24" at the top. 27" on bottom. I don't have any way here to accurately measure the angles. Most curved forks if you use them on the rear will be fairly close to the right shape and give you the correct rear head tube angle.

The top of the side plates are 13-3/4" long. The bottom is 9" from point to piont. The straight edges against the rear fork and the chain stays are 3-5/8". They are made out of plate steel. I am unsure of the gauge, they are roughly 1/16" thick.

I have just been using 1" x .065" wall tubing for the top frame tubes. The head tubes I order from online metals. It is DOM tubing I didn't bring any measuring devices home, but I remember I was using .095 wall thickness and the I.D. fit the old style road bike cups. This gave the O.D. approxamately the diameter as schwinn head tubes. The rear is aprox 4 inches tall and the front is about 5-1/2" tall. Online metals will cut them to length as well. It is a good way to go. I am certain that there are better ways to di it, but this works well. I haven't had any break or bend yet. If you want any specific measurements, just ask and I will go measure.

The original swingbikes had cast head tubes with the 1" tubing inserted and brazed into them. Sometimes I fake the look with bondo as you can see on this last 16 swingbike. I use some small peices of tubing to use as a guide and to give a more durable edge.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back