Muscle Memory - Tank Options and Glass Tinting 05/21

Discussion in 'BUILD OFF 14 - CLASS 1 - BUILD JOURNALS' started by ozlow37, Apr 30, 2019.

1. ozlow37

ozlow37

Quick rundown of the process.

Materials
    - Wax and Grease Remover
    - Wide Blue Painters Tape
    - Tamiya PS-42 Translucent Yellow

First attempt. I have gone with painting on the inside of the glass. In the hopes to minimise and chips or flaking off it should be well protected.

Applied Wide Painters Tape around the glass to prevent any overspray from coming onto the front of the glass.

Wiped down the glass with Wax and Grease Remover to remove any dust or fingerprints.

2 Light Coats of the Tamiya Translucent Paint. Let to dry for an hour.

Came out pretty nice, maybe a touch foggy. Temperature was fine so not sure what has caused this. I'm tempted to remove and try again on the front of the glass to see if I get a different finish.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

2. OddJob

OddJob

Hard to tell exactly from a photo, but your color looks really evenly distributed. Has a vintage look to it. Be interesting to see what you think once you put light behind it. Cool concept!

LukeTheJoker likes this.
  3. ozlow37

ozlow37

Loooking into Tank design for this bike. As much as I would like to build a Buck and Mould for the Tank, I just can't spend that kind of money of the bike as of yet. Hoping to do the Tank towards the end of the Build.

Plan would be to lay out the base of the Tank similar to how Rusty started and then use a MDF Board cut down to shape. Use a larger radius router bit to get the outside shape. Get this as close to how I want the finished product then lay a layer of weaved Fibreglass over the top. Coats of Filler and Paint. Hopefully. This will always leave the option of making a mould but also the cheaper way out too.

A Member on here ( Rusty ) was working on a great Tank design but never got around to finishing it. Check out his post
    http://ratrodbikes.com/forum/index.php?threads/building-a-fiberglass-tank.20039/

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

4. LukeTheJoker

LukeTheJoker Moderator

Headlight looks good!
    Hopefully you get to doing the tank, looks interesting...

5. ozlow37

ozlow37

Not 100% on the light yet. Will try Tinting with Paint next. There seems to be heap of tutorials and ideas on Pinterest. The current yellow looks too bright and not the exact shade. [​IMG]

toro1978 and LukeTheJoker like this.
  6. ozlow37

ozlow37

3 Options for the Tank - set out in my Painters Tape and Wooden Block Photo.

I would say I'm leaning to option 3. Slipping over the top is not something I'm too sure about. Have welded sheet in the first 2 options before. Wanting to stay in Class 1 and feel like I'm pushing a bit into Lowrider Style with those options.

1. Covered Tank over the Frame ( Bondo Style Slip over Frame

2. Covered Tank over the Frame but Flush with the back of the Bottom bars ( Slip Over Frame )

3. Tank Raised in Middle of Frame ( Purple Bike ) [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

OddJob likes this.
  7. OddJob

OddJob

It's probably the cool finished look, but I like #3 option. Gives the bike more dimension.

8. LukeTheJoker

LukeTheJoker Moderator

The third tank looks very cool, but I imagine will be more work?

9. ozlow37

ozlow37

3rd it is.

Went out and got some MDF Board. Roughed out the basic shape tonight and slowly getting progress. I would be looking at 2 X board thickness and that would get me closer to the style I am after.

[​IMG]

10. LukeTheJoker

LukeTheJoker Moderator

AWESOME!

11. ozlow37

ozlow37

Set out with 2 x the thickness. Just a strip underneath for now. Will get a router and put a radius around the panel.

What do you all think, on the right track. ?

Progress will slow down for a bit next week as I will be on a short holiday. While I'm at it the Seat will be coming with me to get reupholstered in Thailand.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

12. OddJob

OddJob

I like the look of that tank form. Double thickness should accent the curves on the frame nicely. RaT oN~!

ozlow37 and LukeTheJoker like this.
  13. LukeTheJoker

LukeTheJoker Moderator

This! ^

ozlow37 likes this.
  14. ozlow37

ozlow37

Almost on the 3rd page.

Been a away on Holidays for a little while and been busy since I have been back. Decided against getting the Seat Upholstered in Thailand as I was running out of time and they weren't able to work on it from a Friday till Tuesday. Timing wasn't right and I was out of the area for a decent chunk of the holiday.

Current project at home is taking my time currently. Have ripped up the old tiles in the Laundry and hoping to rip up with Waterlogged floor and replace this weekend. Once that's all done I can ease back into the bike. Being Winter here in Australia the weather isn't all that encouraging either to work on / ride bikes. Don't know how people that live in an area that has snow survives. Its currently 40F ( 4 C ) in the Morning and 60F ( 16 c ) in the afternoon. That is more than enough to keep me cold all day.

Frame, Forks, Light and a few other accessories will go out to paint in the next 2 weeks or so. I have always painted all of my bike, but I think if i spend this time and money on my ideal bike I would rather get a 2Pac spray finish for the hardness and durability.

OddJob likes this.
  15. OddJob

OddJob

Thanks for the update!