Murray Cruiser (OO)Christine(OO)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will be fixing my Murray Monterey as a bike version of Christine from the Carpenter movie and King book which will be GM Spectra red which was used on the movie cars that the guys Bill and Martin from some other places I go to have and it will also be white & silver like the silver anodized aluminum that the cars have if it's possible.

It's a 94 that I beleive, I got it around 1996 for free and rode it until 2001-2002 then left it out back until a few months ago when I had to move, the wheels were stolen off of it from someone so I had to get new ones but right now all I have is a new rear coasterbrake wheel but will get the front later, the frame is still good and straight with a couple of rust spots although I think something happened to the bike before I got it judging but the handlebar, crank, and sprocket but rode perfectly great so I don't know, I will be getting new headset, bottom bracket, maybe a stem if I can't get the rust off the inside of it but it does need the bolt since the one in it was bad, then crank and sprocket as well as seat tube.
PICT0142.jpg

IMG0011.jpg

IMG0007-2.jpg

IMG0008-1.jpg

Re: Murray Cruiser

Better get a heavy chain to lock it up at night, otherwise it'll be out causing mischief.

:lol:

Going very slow which for me makes me do a better job, found some good parts, a sprocket like the one on mine except it has an M on it and looking for a crank if I can't get the cone off of the one I have.

Does anyone know how to get stickers off without messing them up?

Sanded almost done just have left is getting to the paint on the welds and the areas for the rear reflector and kickstand so I might have to use brass wire wheel with a drill if it's safe for the welds.
PICT0653.jpg

So slowly getting together, I'm getting for me a new sprocket for a present which was what I was looking at from Rinni Enterprises the Murray sprocket on page 25 on the sprocket pages with the M on it and I have the paint code too which will get when I am not too busy.

Christine was one of the few King books I actually cared for. I'm looking forward to how you do this build. Patience is key, rushing it will leave you with the feeling of wishing you had done some things differently. Good luck! I'll keep an eye on this one.

Here is my Stem after getting it cleaned with that evaporust stuff and my sprocket might be here Monday or Tuesday.

DeRustedStem2.jpg

DerustedStem1.jpg

DeRusetedStem4.jpg

DeRusetedStem3.jpg

Got some more parts, most bought local and a few online, bolts for the stem, a seat post but all they had was one with a hole through the sides on top, front wheel 24 because I thought thats what size my bike was but after I tried a 26 from a family members newer bike that fit just fine but will keep the 24 wheels anyway since i already paid for them, rim strips, sunlite handlebar and grips, pedals, headset but not the bottom bracket because the shop here didn't have one for my bike other than a conversion bracket and that Sprocket I ordered but now I realized that it's a Mercury bike sprocket and now just need to get a few more parts.
IMG0004-1.jpg

IMG0005-1.jpg

IMG0001-1.jpg

IMG0002.jpg

IMG0003-1.jpg

IMG0003.jpg

Thanks and it was the last one where I got it, saw one somewhere else called 1018kustoms for five less after i got it when I searched for Mercury sprocket in google images.

Thanks to Stingrays4now I got a new crank so now I need get the special paint, seat and bottom bracket.

Does anyone know anything about Odyssey Dynatron 1-pc chrome bottom bracket with the dust caps?

Got some white walls, 24's because I didn't know what size tires my bike used until I got the Murray Santa Cruz and put the 26's on my old Monterey but too late so I will use the 24's for awhile.

Still not done but will have to wait until around march since I spent all of my bike money on the Spaceliner from Double Nickel frame as well as the Spaceliner Klunker that I want to bring back to a single speed some day after this Christine bike is done even though I just need a seat, bottom bracket and GM Spectra red automotive paint too.
PICT1125.jpg

PICT1124-1.jpg

this bike is gonna be sweet! and christsine is one of my favorite movies ever!!! please keep evryone posted about this bike its getting good!!!!!!!!!

Latest posts

Back