(MBBO 4 CLASS #1) WHEEL'N in the years

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've finally made some time from work and started assembling my Wheel'n bike this weekend and also made the decision to simultaneously assemble my other project bike thats been sitting around about four months now. I wanted to also enter it in the MBBO but I had already painted the frame so it couldn't be put in, so the next best thing was to build them side by side since they shared the same parts (check it out in the Muscle Bike thread as Firestone Rail or FireRail). So this weekend I got a lot of it polished and started putting the Wheel'n bike together. That candy Rally Bronze really changes color depending how the light hits it, I'm really pleased with the paint.

Frame on stand getting started.

Front view after I installed the newly machined hardened aircraft aluminum Rail tube caps I made.

Finished for the night, hope to start the wheels and tires this week.

Last edited:
Looks great! The copper and black wheel are awesome together!

Looking really good!

What are you using as a pad to clamp the freshly painted frame?

It's a soft but firm rubber that has some give to it, just came on the bike clamp fixture when I bought it, at first I put some soft leather between them but it kinda slid one time so I took it out.

Any progress?!?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

Work has been getting in the way of fun lately so it's been moving at a snails pace. Got the bright idea to rebuild the front and rear hubs because they both just didn't seem to spin as smooth as I liked, the rear went back together pretty well after heating, straightening, and chasing the threads out of the bent spindle but the front threads were pretty much smeared too much so I am waiting on one from Ebay then I can hopefully finish up. Thanks for asking.

Finally got a day off and was able to get a lot done on the bike, got my front axle in the mail today so I was able to get the front hub rebuilt, the old ones threads were smeared beyond repair. Got the wheels and all the remaining chrome polished. The head badge was almost completely faded so stripped it and for about a week off and on been repainting the it. Hopefully tomorrow or Friday will get the tires cleaned up and mounted on the rims, will try and get pictures posted. Feels like I may be coming into the home stretch wit it.

Finally here are some pictures of my progress for the past couple weeks from rebuilding my rear coaster hub, front hub, then mounting my tires, chain guard, and kick stand. Hopefully work on it some more this weekend.

Never rebuilt a hub before this so I started on the rear coaster, also rebuilt the front hub and a 5-speed hub for my other bike project, figured I might as well do them all at one time since I jumped into this one.

Got the front, rear wheels/tires, rear fender, and chain.

Finally mounted the chain guard, red line pedals, and kick stand

Last edited:
I must have missed something, I don't remember seeing that chainguard. I like it.

Whole bike looks cool. I've honestly never been a muscle bike guy, but after being involved in this build off and seeing so many cool bikes, I think I've had my mind changed.

I've honestly never been a muscle bike guy, but after being involved in this build off and seeing so many cool bikes, I think I've had my mind changed.
I started the same way...

Luke.

That chain guard is nasty! Matches the rear fender and frame design perfectly! I'm with the Falstaffian on this one....muscle bike mania has bit me good. Can't wait to do something shiny and slick next year!

Looking beautiful!

Derailleur looks good but I was confused for a minute. I just recently learned about these Wheel bikes having the drag brake and a coaster brake...and now a derailleur too?.:eek:

Looking beautiful!

Derailleur looks good but I was confused for a minute. I just recently learned about these Wheel bikes having the drag brake and a coaster brake...and now a derailleur too?.:eek:

Sorry for the confusion, no the Huffy Wheel bike doesn't have a derailleur it has the drag brake. I am also building a Firestone (Huffy) Rail 5-speed so I work on the same things for both bikes at the same time. My Wheel'n bike is part of the MBBO 4 and the Firestone bike is over on the Muscle Bike thread. The bikes are both Rail frames so I was trying to kill two birds with one stone. I should put the derailleur pic on the other thread.

Sorry for the confusion,

It's not your fault I'm retarded...:D

no the Huffy Wheel bike doesn't have a derailleur it has the drag brake. I am also building a Firestone (Huffy) Rail 5-speed so I work on the same things for both bikes at the same time. My Wheel'n bike is part of the MBBO 4 and the Firestone bike is over on the Muscle Bike thread. The bikes are both Rail frames so I was trying to kill two birds with one stone. I should put the derailleur pic on the other thread.

I remembered about the other bike after I came to my senses. You're really doing these up right. Both awesome bikes.:thumbsup:

Latest posts

Back