L'Angelo di Ferro

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bummer about your bender.
It looks like you'll have enough turning radius to make a u-turn on a normal street. That is cool because the continuity of the fork tubes flowing right into the frame tubes is awesome.

John Tomac, top mountain bike racer in the '80s and '90s and former BMX champ before that, once said this:
"The only time you actually turn the handlebars, is at the end of the day and you are turning around to go home from the day's ride."

Well I was able to get my tubing roller back on line with stuff I had stashed away so I didn't even have to leave the house to fix it. Good thing too because just as I suspected the threads for the shaft are apparently unique (1" Acme thread 9 TPI) and a new top plate is not available. I was able to modify the hardware from a lally column. I welded the threaded rings top and bottom on the original plate and modified the shaft to match the hardware from the bender. It only took about an hour and its working just about as well as it did before. I made some progress on the bike too but nothing that would show up in pictures.
20170720_181056.jpg
20170720_194252.jpg
20170720_194302.jpg
20170720_200831.jpg

Last edited:
I will have to remember this repair. I have the same bender, and I noticed it turns kinda hard. I did my best to keep the threads lubed, but didn't make much of a difference. Great work so far, I can't wait to see it complete!

I will have to remember this repair. I have the same bender, and I noticed it turns kinda hard. I did my best to keep the threads lubed, but didn't make much of a difference. Great work so far, I can't wait to see it complete!
yeah I was in denial for the past week because mine was getting really crunchy to turn and I was like "maybe it just needs some lube, surely the threads in there aren't getting mangled. I mean that's a pretty big block of metal right?"

Last edited:
Well it took all weekend but my project is totally forked. That "beak" looking thing is the removable top plate that secures the upper legs to the steering tube. I still have lots of welding and guessetting to do but I'm happy with how accurate this basic frame work is. It rides pretty nice!
20170722_150029.jpg
20170722_195052.jpg
20170722_225957.jpg
20170723_151136.jpg
20170723_165230.jpg
20170723_165554.jpg
20170723_190438.jpg
20170723_195606.jpg
20170723_215436.jpg
20170723_215505.jpg
20170723_220202.jpg
20170723_220342.jpg
Here's some pics...

Last edited:
Metal sculpture and bike in one!

Whoa~! I was so caught up in the frame, I had forgotten about the fenders. And that chainguard, and....there's a spring in the main frame...?

You are making something really special here man . Love the curves it really has a modern yet nostalgic Art Deco vibe . So many of the new custom built frames don't have curves any more . Lots of square tube & sharp lines . Nothing wrong with that if that's what you like . But this is just so unique . The fork is just wild & with the fenders on it just puts it over the top . Great vision [emoji1303][emoji1303]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is definitely the most complex build this year. I'm so glad that you are this far along with it at this point.
I had also forgot about the fenders, and WOW do they make a difference. The frame itself is such a beautiful skeleton, and while it could stand on it's own as a work or art, those fenders really add body and meat to the graceful bones.
I know there is still work to do, but it looks like you are almost there brother. I look forward to every update. This build is amazing!!!

This is definitely the most complex build this year. I'm so glad that you are this far along with it at this point.
I had also forgot about the fenders, and WOW do they make a difference. The frame itself is such a beautiful skeleton, and while it could stand on it's own as a work or art, those fenders really add body and meat to the graceful bones.
I know there is still work to do, but it looks like you are almost there brother. I look forward to every update. This build is amazing!!!
Thanks, I have a ton of work to left actually to get even close to where I want it. I've already deleted some things like the custom built drum brake wheels with internally routed cables. Its a little overwhelming when I start to realize how much is left to do and it would be pretty hopeless except I've decided to cash in the meager PTO I get at work. So starting Wednesday I'll be off till the 8th. I'm going to be making a mad dash to finish line like I did for the Elfman.

Last edited:
Thanks, I have a ton of work to left actually to get even close to where I want it. I've already deleted some things like the custom built drum brake wheels with internally routed cables. Its a little overwhelming when I start to realize how much is left to do and it would be pretty hopeless except I've decided to cash in the meager PTO I get at work. So starting Wednesday I'll be off till the 8th. I'm going to be making a mad dash to finish line like I did for the Elfman.
I can relate brother. I have crossed off several major aspects of my bike just to have a rider in time for the deadline. As was pointed out to me, the cut off for the build off is not the cut off for the build. You will no doubt cross the finish line one way or another. Good luck!

Latest posts

Back