Key West by Bike Brokers cruiser bike

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Got this off Craig's list. Its an 1980s Taiwan frame, but I don't recall every seeing this style frame. It has a headsticker "Bike Brokers" and the model is "Key West". I put some new tires on it, and it trucks along just fine.

CeeBee said:
I think someone was asking for info on a frame like that over in "Bike ID and Valuation". I think you may have their answer!
Cool Bike! 8)

Nice bike, It looks just like the mega cal cruiser does or the s&s newport without the three lil holes in dropouts. I have a very similiar frame, only difference is the dropouts are reverse.... nice find

oldcruiser26 said:
Kreep said:
Man,that thing is screaming to go full 26" BMX! Super cool
-Kreep-
+1
X2, especially with that fork and loop-tail design.

I sent ya a message, but I believe your bike was built by another company such as one like mega cal cruiser or something similiar for bike brokers who were out of fort meyers fl. They also went by B.B. Racing and had BMX bikes built from profile that were same bikes as some really good ones. All I could find, I may be wrong but this is what I came across on bmxmusuem http://bmxmuseum.com/bikes/b_b_racing/21037

well, this one is definitely a cousin:
post-3382-137193279283.jpg

post-3382-137191704771.png

I think this was made by Taiwan Bicycle Company (TBC). They built the better known "Islander" . This is not a Mega Cal Cruiser or an S&S due to the Chainguard, Chainguard Tabs, and no holes in rear drop out. I think the story is that S&S used TBC for offshore production which yielded the Islander - Ryan Partridge would know more on this.

Post #135 is the Islander by TBC http://bmxmuseum.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=473292&p=6

Definitely a TBS! Usually named the "Islander".

They often get mistaken for the American made S&S Newport but they are totally different. The TBS has a much shorter rear triangle(better for wheelies!), thicker rear dropouts, and the seat stays don't bend like an S&S just before they meet the seat tube. Those are the easiest tells.

I'm not positive S&S ever had a relationship with TBS. I'm still looking for proof.

I recently ran into a 24" ladies version of these TBS cruisers called a Shasta.

And here's my buddy Matt "LiveToRide" on his original black TBS Islander cruisin' from Venice Beach south to Redondo back in December.

Last edited:
I found a Keywest in a ditch in SC a while back and turned it into a fun boardtrack inspired build. If i could figure out how to post pics on the new site, i would share. Good catch!

Latest posts

Back