*I've Got My Spine, I've Got My Orange Crush* (Done!)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: *I've Got My Orange Crush* (Rollin Mockup & Fender Opinions)

That looks pretty cool.The bars look comfy.And that anvil is sweet.Form meets function.....Nice :wink:

Somehow I missed your mockup. Man, it's looking sweet!!!!
Love the bars!!!!
Hard call on the fenders. I could see it looking good with both long or short fenders. Just depends on the look you want.
What a cool and fun build!!!

p00r0ldlu said:
I think I like the handlebars...kind of unique/original. They feel really great.

I like the style of handlebars, but personally I prefer any bar (especially BMX style) to either sit upright or slightly forward, for some reason when I see them angled backwards it's just a turnoff.

Thank you guys so much for your input...You know how you look at things and think you like them, but there is something not quite right with it? That's how I feel about the bars. I will keep them on (maybe stand them up straight or forward a bit - thanks yooth) when the family goes on ice cream runs, but I think I am going to swap out the bars and go a little different direction.

I think I am going to put short fenders on, and I have a orange/white rally stripe paint scheme in mind. With that idea, I thought the ride would look better with a board track style bar...I have a couple of options that I will settle on this week. I will post pictures as soon as I get the work done. This week is looking a little full, but I will try and squeeze a few hours of building in.

In the interest of not going too far with a theme...please weigh in on this idea. When I chop the fenders, I am undecided on the profile of the front and rear. Would it being doing too much to cut the fender following a bottle cap edge? Neat detail, but may be going too far with the Orange Crush theme?

IMG_1151-1.jpg

man thats a mean looking orange crush! :D

Re: *I've Got My Orange Crush* (Fender Opinions-June 3)

I like where you are going with the bottle cap edge.
Consider this option.

Cut the front of the fender round like normal, but on top paint (or decal) a replica of a bottle cap.
The add a scallopped piece to the underside of the front of the fender. Or you could try to make an oversized cap and mount it to the front of the fender. Just a couple of ideas.

With that cobbler anvil, you should be able to mock one up.

You should also find a crush bottle opener and incorporate it somewhere. (You probably already have that though).

20628_0009_1_lg.jpg

Re: *I've Got My Orange Crush* (Handle Bar Swap-June 4)

I have to do something on this bike every day if I don't want to slip to page two. ;)

I swapped out the bars for something a little more board track style. I think these flow better. Also started work on finishing the tank and some new paint on the chain guard.

IMG_1168.jpg

More pictures tonight if I get more time this evening after my boy's baseball game. GTB!

Much better. 8) 8)

So I got some more tank work done tonight...hope to put paint on it this week...once the paint is done I will do the big reveal.

The chainguard paint is in need of a little touch-up...my tape did not do a very good job and there are some bleeds that need to be taken care of.

I did manage to figure out a mount for my taillight. Here are a couple of pics...it will get painted flat brown with the rest of the frame, but this way you see how it works. I also need to tie the top rungs together with some sort of band. It is pinched in there pretty snug, but I will probably put some sort of band to help keep it in. I cut down some sort of bathroom rack that I found at a thrift store for .50c.

IMG_1173.jpg

IMG_1174.jpg

IMG_1175.jpg

All lit up...

IMG_1176.jpg

This is what most people will see as I whip past them in the dark...

IMG_1177.jpg

Re: *I've Got My Orange Crush* (Taillight Mounted-June 4)

That tail light is smoking!!

p00r0ldlu said:
This is what most people will see as I whip past them in the dark...

IMG_1177.jpg

That bottle light is WAY COOOLLLLL. It deserves to be on this page as well!!

Gotta love the bathroom chrome mount for it too.

Re: *I've Got My Orange Crush* (Taillight Mounted-June 4)

Thanks so much gents. I am really having fun building this one. I can hardly wait to ride it. Sadly I will be out of town for the next couple of days, and then coaching a ball tournament for my son on Saturday, so I will be slipping to page 3 or 4 for sure. I will be back building on Saturday night/Sunday afternoon...if you feel so inclined a bunny save would be appreciated if I hit page 5. Peace to you.

Re: *I've Got My Orange Crush* (Whitewalls-June 11)

My whitewalls came in the mail today...I will sleep better tonight. :)
Feel like these tires make the orange pop.
Hope to get some work done on the tank today...tons of sanding and prepping.
Non-stop rain out here lately...even had golfball sized hail for a bit the other night.
Once the sun shines, I hope to be ready to paint!

IMG_1196.jpg

Ape Stanger said:
The orange paint looks awesome with the whitewalls. Nice combo.

Thanks Ape...they turned out even better than I expected. Can hardly wait to get the rest of the bike done...I want to ride it!

Those wheels are gonna look tasty and refreshing on your bike!!!!!

Hey, one week after I bought one of those cobbler vises on ebay for $25 shipped, I found one Saturday at a yard sale for $3. I should have waited. I have already used mine a few times. They are pretty cool, plus they have that what the heck look to them.

Latest posts

Back