HEADSET TROUBLE - 50s JC HIGGINS

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rat Rod

Owner & Founder
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
23   0   0
I sold this JC Higgins frame to a friend and he is having trouble getting a 1" headset to fit....that headset is too small.

Anyone have any ideas on what should fit this frame?

IMG_2830.jpg

dont know who made those frames, but the later murray made ones (spaceliners) had larger than normal cups, i always had to rob another frame to get them.

He measured with some digital calipers and the neck tube was like 36mm and the headset he had was 25mm.

Measure the inside diameter of the frame headtube, go to your local bike shop and have them open up the J&B catalog. They can get you the proper size headset from them. also, you might want to measure up the bottom part of the fork's headtube (where the bearing race fits) and the diamater of the stem. All of that is important.

"I have that exact frame. I believe you need a 1 1/8" to 1" reducer that fits on the upper and lower headtube to allow a 1" steer tube to fit."

This has been my experience as well. I still needed to run the 1" fork, the 1 1/8" had clearance issues within the headtube.

62H

so, did he get it figured out?

i think he needs some more practice w/the calipers :) no matter what he has neither 36mm or 25mm will be a correct dimension.....11/8" headset cups are 34mm, keep in mind that's only .3mm larger than a 1" bmx or schwinn cup. if it's the usual "a one inch headset doesn't fit my frame i think i need a 11/8 headset and a bunch of weird adapters" situation he probably tried a 1" road/mtb headset (30.0- 30.2mm cups) which is smaller than what is likely needed- the 1" bmx/schwinn/most really old bike size (33.7mm cups). yes, there are 2 normal, common, 1" headsets! there is also a really cheap wald headset with three 'nubs' that seems to be ever-so-slightly larger (i think it's just because the 'nubs' are intended to deform when pressed in. that worked best on my rollfast). the downside to the wald is that the crown race is a joke- looks about like a pop can shim! i use the crown race from another headset with the same bearing retainer. the j&b and wald headsets are so inexpensive buying both to make one is still no big deal! the next puzzler will be when he finds he has issues combining the rest of the headset with the fork and stem he chooses- we'll cross that bridge when we get to it!

...........or i could be totally wrong and his 60 year old frame really does require a headset from the last two decades.......... :D

It may have been 38mm and I believe he was measuring the neck tube.

Who know..I wasn't paying a whole lot of attention...he called me while I was at work. :lol:

Rat Rod said:
It may have been 38mm and I believe he was measuring the neck tube.

Who know..I wasn't paying a whole lot of attention...he called me while I was at work. :lol:

well, long story short- bmx or used schwinn will probably be just fine :)

man,this is some helpfull info,since that is the frame i`ll be using for the RRBO! :D keep me from pulling my hair out,down the line! i used an old nos wald head set on ol sneaky pete. worked so well,i went back and bought 3 more sets,just to keep around! :D

yes a 1 1/8 headset will fit but because of the internal lugs a 1 1/8 steer wont fit. so get yo self some 1 1/8 to 1 reducers and your golden. i still could kick myself for not picking up that frame when you had it steve.

Im having a headtube problem as well. I bought the head tube reducer from cHoppersus to fit a 40's Schwinn Liberty and the funny thing is it still doesnt even fit, i could see that its meant to fit the frame but its just a slightly bigger than the headtube. my idea is to just cut one side of the reducer and then it should probably fit snuggly in place but im not sure. My other idea is too file down the inside of the headtube but then again i dont wanna mess up my frame for future fork changes.. should i risk cutting the reducer or should i file down the frame?

Back