Headhunter (Finished!!!)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Headhunter (new pics)

Got more goods today. Went down to Choppers U.S. and on the way I picked up my father to tag along with me.
Here's what I got for Headhunter.

24 X 4.25 Super Fat rear tire.
24 X 3.0 Cool Cat front tire.
Tubes.
Rim strips.
Front and Rear Billet Aluminum Disc Brake Brackets.
Raw Front Fork drop outs.
And a 24 X 2.5 Front Rim.

I decided on a 2.5" wide wheel for the front instead of the 3". With the long forks I'm going to have I feel It will look better with the 2.5" width verses the 3.
bikebuild003.jpg

crazy f'n frame!! can't wait to see it rolling!!

o_O those are some mighty wide wheels/tyres man !
Dig the frame to its awsome!

.... this is going to look SICK :!:

Fireproof said:
You got to go to the candy store . . . COOL!
I think you made a good decision on your front rim.
Lookin’ good! 8)
Thanks! I think I did as well. Skinny in front Fat in back! 8)

Got my wheels laced up and ready to be trued. The only thing is the rear wheel is about 5mm to wide for my TS-2 truing stand. I'll have to make an adapter for it which shouldn't be too hard.

bikebuild001-1.jpg

bikebuild002-1.jpg

I'm going to be using a billet aluminum disc brake bracket front and rear that you slide onto your axles before you mount your wheels in the dropouts. They add another 5mm to the width of your hubs so I'm going to add that to the dish of each wheel on the disc side. Probably wouldn't notice it if I didn't do that but I figured I'd might as well since I'm building the wheels.

bikebuild009-1.jpg

Got the wheels built and put the tires on. The front tire went on easy. The rear not so easy. Now I'm not sure if I'll use the front because its quite a bit smaller height wise compared to the rear. I may get a 26" wheel for the front. Here they are:

bikebuild002-2.jpg

You can see the height difference in this pic.

bikebuild001-2.jpg

I agree with using a 26in and same width as before. May be hard to fine a tread pattern the same as the 24in in a 26in. I'm thinking you still like the tire to blow up on the rim the same as the rear. Anyway love what your doing it's going to be sweet.

big AL said:
I agree with using a 26in and same width as before. May be hard to fine a tread pattern the same as the 24in in a 26in. I'm thinking you still like the tire to blow up on the rim the same as the rear. Anyway love what your doing it's going to be sweet.
Thx!

Re: Headhunter

Looks great so far. I want to know more about that stick shifter and hub you got. I have an idea for a build of my own and need help visualizing it. I know what I want, I just don't know how to make it work.

Big_Daddy_Sloth said:
Looks great so far. I want to know more about that stick shifter and hub you got. I have an idea for a build of my own and need help visualizing it. I know what I want, I just don't know how to make it work.
Hi, The hub is a Sturmey Archer SX-RK3 Hub. Its 170mm lock to lock. If your going to use wide wheels this is what you need. I got mine from Choppersus.com. It came with the shifter. The only thing you'll have to do is fab a shifter mount.

I added extensions to my truing stand and it worked out great. I had plenty of room for my extra wide wheel and hub.

bikebuild004-1.jpg

Latest posts

Back