HARD LUCK (7/30 done final update)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: HARD LUCK (6/4 ON HER TIRES BIG OL UPDATE)

very cool! oh, by the way, i will take that vinyl johnny cash off your hands! :wink:

i'm digging the look, the flow, the drop, and the snug light. I'm going to put up a suggestion, i'm seeing something from a new set of eyes on this build, (apart from the creator's) if the fork was raised up maybe an inch you would have a nice line with the frame and the leaf. that's what i'm seeing. i can see it being slammed at a show on some fur, real old skool, then leveled up to that curve when its time to burn. ( see Gene's rules for official meaning of burn)

KOTA said:
GENIUS!....I like "low"....Bike is looking real MEAN (even with that seat :wink: ). That frame looks great slammed!

now you see what i mean by asking you if it was cool to run a slammed front end like you. and yea the seat is cute huh i will admit it

murraymadman said:
very cool! oh, by the way, i will take that vinyl johnny cash off your hands! :wink:

sorry i play it too much lol

gaskill i totally agree with you as i said the rockers have to be redone anyways they are too short. oh well back to the drawing board

well hard luck is living up to her name. went out got a nice long slab o metal for the rockers cause i had nothing left in the junk pile. feeling froggy coming back in the falcon i wanted to see how fast she was off the line since i fixed my vac advance and wow night and day. pulled great up to bout 90 then it shut off because i forgot to look at the gas gauge. coasted onto my road walked to the house got my can which had almost sorta kinda a gal in it hopped on rat lux and road back tossed it in gave her a lil snort down the carb and thank goodness she fired. anyways i get home cut new rockers so it is longer but now i have a new issue the front legs are not long enough grrrrrrr, like i said she is making me work for it for sure. oh yea and it is 3 am here and still building GET ER DONE

karfer67 said:
now you see what i mean by asking you if it was cool to run a slammed front end like you. and yea the seat is cute huh i will admit it

Both bikes are "slammed" in TWO totally different ways. Yours is much more inventive then mine (as usual). :lol: As far as the legs being to short. Building bikes is like life. You got a problem, you figure it out. :wink:

Re: HARD LUCK (updated 5/22 fork work and pedals)

karfer67 said:
012-5.jpg

I'm wondering what it'll look like when you flip the front forks so the bent 'points' to the front...

Love this build.
8)

just for you i will swing it around and we will see ok? post pics in a bit

karfer67 said:
just for you i will swing it around and we will see ok? post pics in a bit

Oh, cool! Thanks in advance.
Guess I'll have to stay awake for a few moments... My sunday is slowly turning into monday :|

Don't know if it'll look good or bad. Just curious.

ok the new rockers are made and from the rear bolt to the dropout at the front is a full 12 inches. i figure why not just go stupid with it. anyways here is how it sat

001-13.jpg

the issue is pedal clearance which with the 28 ford spring was none so something else had to be done. i had bought a trailer spring a while back for a/a altered and decided that because it has more radius might just buy me enough clearance

002-13.jpg

003-14.jpg

installed and i moved the rear legs up so the rocker matched the line of the lower tube. not sure if this is where it will sit or not

004-12.jpg

and just for herr_rudolf i turned the front leg around iduno. it is one of those days.

Re: HARD LUCK (6/5 new rockers and a pic just for herr_rudolf)

i think it looked more aggressive like this
012-5.jpg

but with the rear legs this low i have no pedal clearance so my only other option really is to find shorter cranks or make new front legs that are longer. iduno yet i am at that point where "what looks good v.s. what will actually work" smash into one another

karfer67 said:
004-12.jpg

and just for herr_rudolf i turned the front leg around iduno. it is one of those days.

Thanks man!
You won't be surprised if I tell you I really like the flow in this set-up. :wink:
The leaf and the fork became 'one'. But I don't know if that's a good thing. This way it looses some of it's mechanical appearence the leafspring brings to the bike. I can't make up my mind which set-up 'feels' better. I just think it's great to have a bike with lot's of possibilities at looking cool.
8)

Those crank arms gotta go. They look like 7" arms. Try 51/2"... I "ususally" try for 2" of clearance, just my preference............Looking GOOD!

I know your thinking outside the box on this, and I will give you credit for that, but when its all said and done, are you going to be able to steer it ?? With that little wheel, looks like it might be a challenge.

kota they ARE 5 1/2 inch cranks lol. i got it figured out i just need to relocate the axle back a lil and it will work fine. steering will be a bit out there trust me this bike wont be in the rodeo barrel race this year. but if you think i wont ride her your dead wrong you know thats not how i roll with my bikes. got nothing done i will be honest been pinstriping trophies and the raffle bike for the hands helping hand show i am putting on in a week. after that show i am gonna hit it hard

I dig where this bike is going I will sacrifice comfort for style any day. I think that you will have to ride it alot like a swing bike except the swing isn't under you its in front of you. Its a boardwalk cruiser built for straight aways like a sling shot dragster from the 60's. Stoked to see where this bike is heading next keep up the good work. 8)

I dig where this bike is going I will sacrifice comfort for style any day. I think that you will have to ride it alot like a swing bike except the swing isn't under you its in front of you. Its a boardwalk cruiser built for straight aways like a sling shot dragster from the 60's. Stoked to see where this bike is heading next keep up the good work. 8)

actually in a drunken moment i sat on it and steered it and really it is not as bad as i thought it would be. i was expecting full on low rider bent fork steering but not really. it does a bit of the frame goes the opposite way before you turn deal but not that bad considering i have relocated the wheel almost a full foot forwards of where it was. i know i know no update sorry guys up to my eye balls getting stuff ready for the show this weekend. after that like i said though its on like donkey kong.

It takes a while to get used to negative trail steering. But once you do, it's a piece-o- cake. I found that the wider the bars, the easier it is to steer....You might need a BUS steering wheel. :wink:...........Looks GREAT!

wow well mine is like 8 inches round :shock:

herr_rudolf said:
The leaf and the fork became 'one'. But I don't know if that's a good thing. This way it looses some of it's mechanical appearence the leafspring brings to the bike. I can't make up my mind which set-up 'feels' better. I just think it's great to have a bike with lot's of possibilities at looking cool.
8)

What Rudolf said about the fork and leaf becoming one, what a great flow, but there can be an argument for either side. I vote for the flow. I almost said that it could be enhanced by your bars, but I forgot you have the wheel, cool, maybe put them on hinges to the side so you can flip them either way. haha

Back