Hammered Higgins (In Finished Builds)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Hammered Higgins

aka_locojoe said:
Looking good.
On your handlebar decoration... could you form the flat bracket part to fit the round of the handlebars and screw or glue (jb weld) on? Screws probably would work loose if bike gets ridden much. You could also just paint the tie-wraps silver or bronze.

The hammer is going to be a real conversation starter.

The scrollwork pieces are cast iron so they won't bend. Thought about trimming down the flanges to match the bar profile or just cutting off the round flanges. Rough mounted the copper mug bottle or can holder. I'll probably retain the wire ties. If I remove the flanges I may be able to get the SS wire ties to work

c8637a58.jpg

RonK said:
I second the flask holder comment...I NEED one of those for my Sailor.

I mounted the flask holder tonight. Used a piece from a minoura add on bottle holder bracket, washer spacers and hose clamp. Again not being a drinker, it is a primarily a enhancement decoration. I've watched to many American Chopper episodes.

aa5c2eb7.jpg

Experimented with some graphics, have another font that I like better but printer ran dry. Would like to screen print the branding but don't have access to the equipment any more.

b4f911b4.jpg

bike2112 said:
Dude, your bike is more like 180 proof. Don't settle for just 100 proof. LOL. The krate looks awesome!

I agree. 100 proof is only 50% alcohol.
Yours should be 180 or even 190!!!!

drunk-rabbit.jpg

Re: Hammered Higgins (Pesky Wabbits)

kingfish254 said:
bike2112 said:
Dude, your bike is more like 180 proof. Don't settle for just 100 proof. LOL. The krate looks awesome!

I agree. 100 proof is only 50% alcohol.
Yours should be 180 or even 190!!!!

drunk-rabbit.jpg
Thanks Bike2112, ndaway, lildietz and Kingfish for your comments. I might change the proof to "166 Proof..." to make it age related.
By the way I wonder who the oldest builder is on RRB's.

As far as rabbits go, my boys had some, but they didn't drink. They used eat our plants though. I really prefer good German dogs like our stogey chomping dachsie.

a96c8597.jpg

This bike is just so eye catching!! There is some nut riding around in Philly on a bike choaking and robbing women. We need you to ride around and whack the loon with that hammer!

Added some of the copper banding over the hose clamps to match the hammer mounts. I'll have to bond them on with some type of adhesive as rules say any method of attachment. They were a trick to get the right length and shape. Front hub came in as black in lieu of silver, so had to be reordered, therefore wheels wait until next week.

3dd6a3bc.jpg

ad65f34b.jpg

Great idea to wrap the hose clamps in copper!
Love the drink holder.

Got the rear wheel back from TSB, a LBS after being laced up. The rims are pre-war Roadmaster powder coated in Straw color, S/A 2 speed hub, 14 GA SS spokes. Wanted to do the Wheelset in a nueutral color that can be moved to another frame a some point. The front hub came in black in lieu of silver and has been reordered. May end up using the black though.

61890681.jpg

Mounted the Fat Frank and clearance seems to be OK, also added the rack.

56031bef.jpg

Attached the crate basket to the rack, four bolts. Still not sold on paint, Most everything is loose fit/fastened at this point. Still need to set cups and grease bearings, so would be fairly easy to take apart and paint again. Now that the crate is in place I'm wondering if I'll be able to throw a leg over to get on bike???
78f0b562.jpg

375ff162.jpg

Re: Hammered Higgins (One Wheel Now)

Man, that's really coming together!
Sharp!!!

I'm thinking tear down on Monday and some repainting. Think I finally figured out how to get the hammered paint to work. My goal now is to be done by July 4th, one month build thus. Read a post by Kingfish and remembered I have a New Belgium Fat Tire bottle opener. Now to figure out where to mount it.

398c04e2.jpg

I picked up a few of those at the New Belgium Brewery last year when I was actually there on business with my co-workers as part of a team building tour. Gotta love it you boss makes you tour a brewery that is filled with about 1000 bikes and then even makes you drink beer afterwards. :mrgreen:

did a tear down today and there paint decision was made for me. Apparently the paint hadn't fully cured out befor I put the frame in the work stand. The rag had stuck somewhat to the frame and left a fuzzy imprint. So out came the abrasive paper again. I had also nicked a few other spots that needed touching up. I worked out the clamp imprint lightly sanded an shot it again. It is sun baking at the present. It seems that a slow stroke with a somewhat heavier spray gets more of the effect seen on the R-O Universal cap. Probably have a couple of small runs now...The pre-paint problem area is depicted below.

4debde87.jpg

Post paint shot below...a bit more "hammering" showing this time. Now to just get it dry, think I'll avoid the stand at final assembly.

f578bd68.jpg

Re: Hammered Higgins (Hammered Paint Not Friendly Stuff)

Cool, that's a good kind of mistake!!

Tht hammered effect looks great!!

Latest posts

Back