Fisch's 20inches of Awesome! 7/9 I'm a NY Times best seller!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Fisch's 20-inches of Awesome! Sprocket Springer. Crazy? 5/25

yoothgeye said:
You could attach chain to the top and bottom of the cut sprocket and attach it to the frame with heavy duty springs for fore and aft suspension without solid struts. I can see it in my head, but I'm having a hard time getting it out through my fingers and this keyboard. :oops:

I can picture that and I think it is a great idea! Seems like there was a front coaster suicide brake that was along those lines. It might have even been Double Nickel that did it.

But spring tensioned chains coming down and around chainring rockers would be super cool!!!!

kingfish254 said:
I can picture that and I think it is a great idea! Seems like there was a front coaster suicide brake that was along those lines. It might have even been Double Nickel that did it.

But spring tensioned chains coming down and around chainring rockers would be super cool!!!!

Yeah something along the lines of Double's front coaster... which I am using on my sidecar wheel.

Dang Fisch, checked out your website. I knew you were talented from what you post on this site but you are a true artist. I've always loved Frazetta, Rob't. Williams, Sam Kieth, and a bunch of others. You are as inspired as any of those guys.

Rg

P.S. A guy with the same name as mine did a bunch of illustrations for fantasy novels...

That is a cool idea fellahs! Just got my 7/16-20 tap in the mail to tap the strut tubes, but no heim joints to screw in them till next week. :cry:

Hmmm maybe I should start thinking about the seat post situation next. Currently held on there with wire.

Thanks RG! Glad you dig the artwork. Now if I could just have an excuse to draw more bikes! I never got to meet Fraz before he passed away, but I don't know if you know Boris Vallejo and Julie Bell's art, but I am teaching an illustration master class with them next week. Boris was one of my heroes coming up and is just such a great guy.

Fisch said:
That is a cool idea fellahs! Just got my 7/16-20 tap in the mail to tap the strut tubes, but no heim joints to screw in them till next week. :cry:

Hmmm maybe I should start thinking about the seat post situation next. Currently held on there with wire.

Thanks RG! Glad you dig the artwork. Now if I could just have an excuse to draw more bikes! I never got to meet Fraz before he passed away, but I don't know if you know Boris Vallejo and Julie Bell's art, but I am teaching an illustration master class with them next week. Boris was one of my heroes coming up and is just such a great guy.

Of course I know the name Vallejo! Did Julie ever work for Spumco? Her name sounds familiar too...

Man, using a sprocket as a lower springer rocker is killer idea. This place never ceases to amaze me. Some of the most innovative bike builders ever. I have been thinking about an all out custom build over the winter. That would be amazing....maybe nickle plate the sprockets? I can see it now....a fat tire MadMax apocolypse feel with jagged edges, spikes, etc.

Seriously, this is an awesome build. I wish I had more than 3 votes. There are too many nice bikes.

Gettin Sprung! Got the Heim Joint rod ends a week ahead of expectation! Love it when shipping is faster than you expect.

This is the first assembly. First time I've set the bike on the ground since I started. Feels swell. Things went together smoother than I expected. (Which is more than I can say for the seat bracket I tried to fab today!)

On to the photos:

Here we have my Heim joints. 7/16 male with a 3/8 bore through the bearing. (Sprang the couple extra bucks to get the 3 piece ones with the brass.) And a 7/16 tap.
IMG_2372.jpg

Tapping the tube ends.
IMG_2375.jpg

Screwed those bad boys in. I still need jamb nuts. (Mmmm maybe anodized red?) The tubing is actually part of a dog gate to keep your dog in the back of the car. I thought about just flattening the tubing at the bottom and drilling holes BUT because I am keeping the curve at the top of this tubing, the ends had to be able to slide through my top bracket. ( It would have been too wide if flattened.)
IMG_2377.jpg

ASSEMBLED! Wow this might work. 8) Another advantage to the heim joints is they also let me attach the struts directly to the axle, eliminating the need for a third hole and allowing a tighter configuration. They give me major height adjustability too. But we can also adjust up top because I am using twin allen bolt stop collars (1/2" for the 1/2 inch tubing) which I am using as spring perches. Seen just above the tire line.
IMG_2392.jpg

Here is a closeup of the chainwheel being used as the Springer Rocker. Strong stuff!! I might drill it where the holes are drawn. Seems to be a theme with the bike. I have not cut for the disc brake yet. Wanted to see if my theories would hold first!
IMG_2386.jpg

Some sexy shots.
IMG_2391.jpg

Don't mind my messy art studio on the left. This bike business is taking over my workspace!
IMG_2389.jpg

No 5 is alive! Love these headlights! (I need to swap axle spacers from the left to the right to get the wheel centered though. always something...)
IMG_2394.jpg

Re: Fisch's 20-inches of Awesome! Springer ASSEMBLED!-pg5

Engenius!
Sexy as heck!
It all just flows together too. The old, the new, the genius, the art!!!
Way to go, man!!!!!

Re: Fisch's 20-inches of Awesome! Springer ASSEMBLED!-6/3

Oh,Man that fork looks good :!: Everything about your bike is spot on 8) 8)

The scale is dead on, I keep forgetting this bike is a 20"er.

yoothgeye said:
The scale is dead on, I keep forgetting this bike is a 20"er.

Thanks guys! Youth, I am psyched you dig the proportions. It is a big thing for me. I was worried with a 26" fork up front, but because of the raised rocker mounting hole and the light filling the gap, it seems to work. Though I wouldn't mind if a few others forget it is a 20" come voting day! Didn't realize that historically they don't get the attention the 26ers get. (But I would have built it anyway! I love the 20". If you have ever cruised down a busy sidewalk, they are so nimble dodging in and out of foot traffic and you can set your feet down and sit there comfortably all day.)

I am also shocked how light this bike is so far. Granted there are no cranks or seat yet, but still. It is a featherweight.

this bike is taking on like a 50's old school "brawling bike" attitude!! Looking very MEAN!! 8) 8)

Thanks Mitch and Chris! Mitch that is just what I was after. A lil' Brute!

Chris, No fender is the plan, but I do have the original fender, so a little bobbed fender isn't out of the question. But it'd be pretty small!

Funny, I was so obsessed with the build over the last two days I started getting 'the look' from the missus (who is awesome and the only one who keeps the obsession(s) in check.) "You mean there is a world oustide me and this bike?" But then you hit a milestone, like assembling a custom springer, and you feel this weight lift off your shoulder, you can breath again and you start looking more than 10 feet around you.

(Until the next milestone approaches.)

Sweet! Definately 20 inches of Awesome! I'd ride it! 8)

Definately looking like a winner... I know what you mean about getting focused, I get tunnel vision when I'm working on designs and time, money, everything else fades away... My wife hates it but realizes it makes me who I am...

Great job, Rg

Peatbog said:
I was looking back over this build and just realized something--those bunny illustrations: you did that artwork yourself, didn't you?

Indeed Peat! I wear a few different illustration hats. Heck over Fri and monday I was doing school visits and drawing for 200 third graders! Then tomorrow I rock an assembly for kindergarteners! It is a interesting life.

In build news, I am itching to tackle the seat 'tower' next. But also nabbed a sweet 80s flatland bike Sun night. It came with Peregrine 48s hi flange hubs! Might be pretty rad to put them on this beast. Literally, 'rad'.

Great bike man!! Am i the only one who got the springer assembeled joke? :D Gtb!! Peace

Latest posts

Back