Felt Monster El Guapo build

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I guess I answered that question.
e4f2cf63d349ec837a56efe2d606581f.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

looks great... who makes that chainring?
The chainring was made by Drive Technologies. I had never heard off them until I saw this one locally on craigslist and did some Googling. I've only been able to find these used or NOS, leading me to believe they are no longer being made. I wanted something unique and that's exactly what I got.

Bike is looking good. It seems like everyone likes that chainring, including me. And the way you mounted the shifter, very cool. Definitely watching this build.

I meant to ask you about your rear hub.

1. Is it a Shimano Nexus?

2. Were you able to reuse the original spokes when you laced it in?

I meant to ask you about your rear hub.

1. Is it a Shimano Nexus?

2. Were you able to reuse the original spokes when you laced it in?

Yes, it's a Shimano Nexus I purchased from Amazon.

Much to my surprise, the 12 gauge spokes fit in the hub without any modification. The fit was super tight so a few spokes had the be "threaded" into the hub to get past the rolled threads, but no drilling required, and no spokes poking thorugh the nipples inside the wheel.

Awesome....I've got a spare Nexus hub that I've been thinking about lacing in.

Knowing I can use the stock spokes makes it a no brainer.

Yep. I'm having one laced into my El Guapo, and I'm having ind-chuckz lace one into a set of 24" Felt wheels I purchased from him. I heard they are the way to go! looking forward to it.

FYI, you probably know this already, but just in case...when I first laced up the wheel I wanted to bolt it into my MP to make sure the hub worked properly. I noticed the MP came with the 175mm axle hub, but the Nexus I ordered came with 168mm. I needed to add a bunch of washers to make it fit inside the frame. I was concerned it was going to look like crap with all the washers on the El Guapo, but it turns out the 168mm axle was the correct width for that frame. So make sure to measure your frame and axle to make sure they match.

Went for a short ride today and decided it's ready for powder coat. Here's everything that's getting powder coated.

952a3d449bcb4a5a7b3a95bc288e8d0d.jpg

Here's everything not getting powder coated.

b288568aff4391640aac71b24fd1a5fe.jpg

Unfortunately I won't have access to the sand blaster and powder coating equipment until the end of the month. Hopefully it will get done by Easter.

Update: I'm learning how to powder coat. However none of these are for my Felt. These are from my son's beat up green Haro Shredder that's going to be my daughter's Teal Haro Shredder.
ea67803c4d7ce8e7e1713d001832755b.jpg

I'm still here!!! Update:

I finally finished my "powder coat training" project. I completely restored my son's Haro Shredder. It's now my daughter's bike. I powder coated every metal part on the bike. Only took me 2 months. Hopefully I can work a bit faster on my Felt. Tonight I start powder coating Felt parts.

42b487e373205acab3dc725c5fbd9b93.jpg

I'm still here!!! Update:

I finally finished my "powder coat training" project. I completely restored my son's Haro Shredder. It's now my daughter's bike. I powder coated every metal part on the bike. Only took me 2 months. Hopefully I can work a bit faster on my Felt. Tonight I start powder coating Felt parts.

42b487e373205acab3dc725c5fbd9b93.jpg

That is an awesome girls bike! Just one question, has the pic been flipped side to side or are you just trying to see who is paying attention? :39:

Luke.

Latest posts

Back