ELLIS SPEED SHOP SCHWINN

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
kingfish254 said:
So it's a 52T chainguard or 44T spacer????

Those guards will fit the bigger phantom style sprocket (52t) but they also put 44t on old schwinns with that guard as well. I just think it looks better with the bigger sprocket 52t up there, your able to see the chain on the front side of the sprocket with a 44t mounted in that chainguard and it drives me crazy. The chain will ride on the smaller sprocket behind the 52t though once put together, with the guard shimmed out to clear the wider rear tire they both fit nicely within the guard. The town I live in has a pretty big hill on the east end of town, not worried about top end but I do love passing people uphill :mrgreen:

Critter1 said:
Great pic of your boy!

I have a 52 also... Had to have a 22 rear cus I'm gettin old

Thanks Critter, he's hard to get to sit still unless you've got something sweet, otherwise he doesn't have time to stay put it seems :mrgreen:

The 3 speed has a 21t on it, I dont think i could fit another tooth on the rear without ditching the guard ... and I like the guard. A 44 will put the gear inches right where I like them. I could stick a 36t at the crank though and I think I could pull stumps out of the yard :idea:

yoothgeye said:
Looking nice, now when are you doing something with the Old Man Flyer?

Rims just showed up on Monday for that, I need to sit down and order spokes and it would be a rider in no time :)

CCR said:
yoothgeye said:

Rims just showed up on Monday for that, I need to sit down and order spokes and it would be a rider in no time :)

Once it is, ride it over to my house, I wanna try it out. :mrgreen:

Critter1 said:
CCR said:
yoothgeye said:

You have patients sir.. Building wheels seems to take forever, one piece at a time.

Yeah, I was gonna lace my own wheel, but when I found out my LBS does it for $1/spoke, I felt that would be $36 well spent. Plus that's only $3 in YSD*

* Yard Sale Dollars

yoothgeye said:
Once it is, ride it over to my house, I wanna try it out. :mrgreen:

Neighbor kids called dibs on the first loaned out ride :mrgreen:

I like building wheels, once you do enough of them there's not a lot of thinking involved, you just sit down and do it. My lbs builds wheels cheap. He tries to keep it significantly cheaper than a similar wheel purchase (and his wheels are priced cheap too) but his spoke inventory came from olddd bike shop buy outs, lots of dull zinc/cad plated stuff. If you want some shiny spokes, you usually have to pull it out of another wheel in his stock room.

Might be using this instead of the grip shifter if I can fab up a new lever for it that wont also twist it off the bike.

IMG_0450.jpg

Used child labor to get the race on the fork, he was pretty excited to get a sucker in return, things got ugly when he found out it was butterscotch instead of root beer though :shock:

IMG_0446.jpg

CCR said:
Used child labor to get the race on the fork, he was pretty excited to get a sucker in return, things got ugly when he found out it was butterscotch instead of root beer though :shock:
Haha! That's good stuff right there.. I can totally picture it!!

IMG_0446.jpg
[/quote]

Looks like a tough customer! Wouldn't want him mad at me the way he can lift that fork over his head like that! :) Cute kid man.

My boy does have hulk rage thats for sure :lol:

Got the frame painted and flat blacked the sprocket today, i'm resisting the urge to assemble this thing until the spray can dries though :roll:

IMG_0460.jpg

IMG_0459.jpg

sensor said:

No kidding he's getting big, turns 3 in a coupe weeks, that bench is 40" tall behind him. He is my buddy :)

Critter1 said:
Its hard to tell... Is that a creamy white or a dove gray? Either way, Its looking good!

Thanks Critter. It's the grey, the cream color is going to show up on the guard I believe. Lighting is kind of crummy out in the shed, haven't got a wire ran out there yet.

IMG_9427.jpg

Nice job on the paint!
Lookng sharp!

Think I'm going to cut about 4-5 inches off the seat post, I'm still happy with the sprocket but it looks like I'm on the search for a new crank again ... this ones not wide enough to get the sprockets shimmed out where i need it to be :x Otherwise I'm happy where it's heading so far.

IMG_0516.jpg

Latest posts

Back