Doing this for a friend of mine ...

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
She found this bike, leaning up against the dumpster, by her apartment complex. She asked if I wanted it, however, we live many, many, many, miles apart. I told her I would post some pics over here, so my fellow Ratter's, could give me some info on it, so she could list it on CraigsList. Any info will help. The bike is a, AMF Westpoint, serial # M 495269.

Mens bikes like this go for $40-50 locally. A girls 1950s Schwinn $40 at resale stores and $75 at antique stores. A 1940 complete rebuilt bike without a tank $100 from a private party. They always ask more for the older bikes, but they don't sell yet at these prices, more like $50 for a 1950s-60s mens Huffy, Murray, AMF etc. Two years ago they were $15-20 for pretty much all old bikes including 1930s girls bikes. I don't find more than 2 or 3 a year though. I found and bought or was given one girls 1957 Schwinn All American, a 1940 skip tooth CWC, a skip tooth 1950s Columbia, and a 1960s Schwinn tandem frame so far this year. Yesterday afternoon there was an old twin tube rusty mens bike at a garage sale but I didn't stop to look because my SS check won't be here for 2 more weeks and I only have $25. It has to go for gas. She would get more if it was polished, had a basket and it was tuned up. Looks like you could make it look like new.

Mens bikes like this go for $40-50 locally. A girls 1950s Schwinn $40 at resale stores and $75 at antique stores. A 1940 complete rebuilt bike without a tank $100 from a private party. They always ask more for the older bikes, but they don't sell yet at these prices, more like $50 for a 1950s-60s mens Huffy, Murray, AMF etc. Two years ago they were $15-20 for pretty much all old bikes including 1930s girls bikes. I don't find more than 2 or 3 a year though. I found and bought or was given one girls 1957 Schwinn All American, a 1940 skip tooth CWC, a skip tooth 1950s Columbia, and a 1960s Schwinn tandem frame so far this year. Yesterday afternoon there was an old twin tube rusty mens bike at a garage sale but I didn't stop to look because my SS check won't be here for 2 more weeks and I only have $25. It has to go for gas. She would get more if it was polished, had a basket and it was tuned up. Looks like you could make it look like new.
Thanks for the info! I hear you on the, "had to pass up for the lack of funds, this happens to me, quite often.

I think you could probably get $50-$60 for that on CL. I'd guess that it's probably from the 60s. Women's bikes almost always bring less than men's. But it's still a complete bike you have there. Good luck

I think you could probably get $50-$60 for that on CL. I'd guess that it's probably from the 60s. Women's bikes almost always bring less than men's. But it's still a complete bike you have there. Good luck
Thanks for the price point, trying to find some information on the bike, so she can work up a CL, listing.

My guess would be late 60's-early 70's, on sight. The theory posted on musclebikeforums is that M serials are 1970, so it fits. Obviously as an AMF, it is basically a budget model Roadmaster (which was a budget brand anyways). Westpoint was not a famous model, so there isn't any info out there that would lend to collector value. There was no rarity as they were practically over-produced. They were a department store bike, similar to Huffy Good Vibrations. I don't think a bicycle collector would ever bite, but I could see an older single woman that just wants to cruise around the block a few times a week giving $40-$50. Being single speed coaster-brake might even be an effective selling point to mention, just because it doesn't have the gearing and brakes that tend to intimidate folks that don't know much about them.

Last edited:
I don't think that bike was ever ridden much, still has the plastic protectors on the axle nuts for shipping.

Latest posts

Back