BUILD OFF #7 DISCUSSION

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Yes or No?

skillsthebarber said:
So I talked to RatRod and he said I should talk to you guys in the discussion forum.

Last year on May 19th My son Heuston was born. Due to lack of sleep and me wanting to focus all my energy on him I had stopped working on any bikes including my build off bike on May 25th of last year. Now Heuston is about to be a year old and can do a lot to entertain himself. So I can start working on bikes again. My question to you guys is, How would you feel about me continuing last years build off bike for this year. I would make a new post and start working on the bike on May 25th. If you guys dont want me to continue I would totally understand.
Thanks for reading.

Jason

I like your approach to this. Many who have tried to start ongoing or stopped projects haven't offered to start with a time penalty and with you starting on the exact date you stopped last year... I think that's a great idea, so I have no objections. I say go for it... do it!

yoothgeye said:
skillsthebarber said:
So I talked to RatRod and he said I should talk to you guys in the discussion forum.

Last year on May 19th My son Heuston was born. Due to lack of sleep and me wanting to focus all my energy on him I had stopped working on any bikes including my build off bike on May 25th of last year. Now Heuston is about to be a year old and can do a lot to entertain himself. So I can start working on bikes again. My question to you guys is, How would you feel about me continuing last years build off bike for this year. I would make a new post and start working on the bike on May 25th. If you guys dont want me to continue I would totally understand.
Thanks for reading.

Jason

I like your approach to this. Many who have tried to start ongoing or stopped projects haven't offered to start with a time penalty and with you starting on the exact date you stopped last year... I think that's a great idea, so I have no objections. I say go for it... do it!

I agree. I have no problem with your plan. Jump in.

kingfish254 said:
yoothgeye said:
skillsthebarber said:

Thanks for reading.

Jason

I agree. I have no problem with your plan. Jump in.
+ 1 i HAVE NO PROBLEM WITH THIS :D

NOT SURE IF THESE QUESTION HAVE BEEN ANSWERED THIS YEAR SO I WILL GO OVER THEM AGAIN!

Who is building the trophy?

Is he commited to builting it?

And is powder coating the frame out of line with the ruled since it is not a paint job?

Please dont beat me up for askng these dumb questions, I just am wondering :)

tvc15 said:
Double Nickle said:
And is powder coating the frame out of line with the ruled since it is not a paint job?

Powder coating sounds like paint on metal to me, just a different method of applying it

Its funny, if i go to the local powder coating guys (all two of them) they will not call it powder, they say "paint"

Double Nickle said:

The only question i think I can help you with, powder should be fine if your the one doing it, if not ... it is up to interpretation of the voters :wink:

skillsthebarber said:

Thanks for reading.

Jason

I agree with everyone above.

I would like to see you finish a very cool bike. :D

Here is my build off inspiration. I may see this 1904 stone carving in Northern Bali tomorrow or the next day.
Is that an Elgin or Shelby frame? I can't tell for sure.

Are stone tires allowed?

Yabba Dabba Doo

CyclistCarving.jpg

CCR said:
Double Nickle said:

The only question i think I can help you with, powder should be fine if your the one doing it, if not ... check with Steve first :wink:
What sucks is that I could get it done way cheaper than I could do a spray paint job, it would also be way more durable. This bike is going to be a major rider so it would be worth having a power coating job that didn't chip off every time I touched it as rattle can would!

I hate to be that guy but maybe powder coating should be allowed just because how cheap it can be done and how strong it is, unlike a carpet queen car paint job which still shouldn't be allowed unless done by the builder

What are yall's thoughts?

Peatbog said:
That back tire looks like a sunflower. It might be a little seedy. So it would make a great rat rod bike.

So quit stonewalling and get to buildin'.

You get the nod for most puns in post!

Trust me I want to GTB, but at the same time I don't want to leave where I am.

Double Nickle said:
CCR said:
Double Nickle said:

The only question i think I can help you with, powder should be fine if your the one doing it, if not ... check with Steve first :wink:
What sucks is that I could get it done way cheaper than I could do a spray paint job, it would also be way more durable. This bike is going to be a major rider so it would be worth having a power coating job that didn't chip off every time I touched it as rattle can would!

I hate to be that guy but maybe powder coating should be allowed just because how cheap it can be done and how strong it is, unlike a carpet queen car paint job which still shouldn't be allowed unless done by the builder

What are yall's thoughts?

Dub, I can see your dilema, but this is "Rat" Rod Bikes. I didn't take time to review the rules to see if outside paint jobs are allowed. I think that any painting (even pinstriping) should be done by the builder. This is a "Build Off" and I really don't like the idea of letting outsiders do the work for any of us. It ain't about the cost, it's about the integrity of the Build Off competition to me. Just my two cents.

I understand the rules about doing your own work on the paint, last year it was allowed to have someone do pinstriping if you desired, just to throw a fly in the ointment, there are alot of things that are sourced out in builds. such as lacing up wheels, having custom made handlebars built,ect, Now myself last year I outsourced a friend of mine to weld up two aluminum wheels together (a little outside my skills) and I had a friend help me with mixing paint and he had the perfect place to do painting, along with his guidance I painted it there. Now I am not condoning nobody I am just saying it is hard to not have to get stuff done sometimes, this year I will get a headbadge made just because I feel my build needs it, in closing I will just say if you have to have outside work done , disclose it .

I think this will be another one of those "agree to disagree" topics. I too would like the durability of a powder coated finish. But I also want to do everything on a build I can so I can say "I did it". But there's a delimma in situations like this.....for me, it's welding. I don't have a welder and I can't weld. I could TRY to weld with someone else's welder but I take he chance of screwIng something up that is for my build.

Chips_Mahoy said:
I don't have a welder and I can't weld

This build-off is about pushing our skills as builders as much as it is about making a bike.

Learn new things: lace up that rim, use two stage auto paint, fire up the welder (we even have a builder using the lost art of brazing this year).

If you don't have a tool buy, borrow or rent it. Car clubs and bike clubs are excellent for making a network of friends the have skill sets and tools that no one person has.

Back