Briggs powered ladies bike

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well i want to build a bike for my girlfriend, she may not ride it but we will see. Just in case she doesnt i will put front and rear racks so it will be good to shoot up to the shops. I saved this bike from a friend doing a dumprun. I also got 3 other older bikes which i may use in the future. Its good to do my bit and recycle :D

Picture373.jpg

I pulled some of the crap off and added springers i had (needs modifying) a temporary set of wheels until i find or build some, changed the stem and bars and cut off the downtube for more room for the 3hp Briggs. I quite like the look of it.

Picture367.jpg

Picture376.jpg

Picture368.jpg

Picture374.jpg

I sat the Briggs in to see what its like. Should be alright i just need to make sure my intake manifold and exhaust clear the toptube. I think i will do another belt drive as i have a belt centrifugal clutch im not using. I will make an inframe tank for it

Picture371.jpg

Picture372.jpg

Picture370.jpg

Thats how i roll..... or maybe not roll cos i have too many projects :oops: Oh well im having fun

The shaft is on the left.... The shaft on the right you are refferring to is the flywheel shaft, the flywheel is at the machinist having the fins machined off.

I made my motor mounts out of some angle and i tack welded them in....

Picture439.jpg

Picture441.jpg

I have this Mikuni carb and i will need to make an inlet manifold.

Picture384.jpg

This is probably where i should position it....

Picture457.jpg

But id really like to tuck it out of the way. Id like to put it somewhere down here. But that would be a long inlet manifold. Would that be ok or make my bike run bad? Otherwise i could just face the carb pointing outwards but higher up.

Picture429.jpg

I made a mockup tank out of cardboard....

Picture426.jpg

I dont mind the look of it but im wondering if it will stop airflow to my engine and cause it to overheat. Thoughts?

Picture412.jpg

Picture415.jpg

Picture409.jpg

Picture396.jpg

ive been thinking about this project and i may change it up a little. I was going to run this with a shaved flywheel and probably pull start via rope and handle, but the thought of the flywheel near anyone elses leg but mine scares me. And seeing as this will be my girlfriends bike i figure just running it with the original shroud (im not a fan of these), This will eliminate any injury from the flywheel, will provide and easy pull start set up and help cool the engine (this bike may be ridden slowly, often). And that way i can build a tank thats out of the way and more resembles a bicycle (these are illegal where im from).

Picture466.jpg

And if i do use a similar (but bigger) tank then what i used, but i would taper it to the width of the flywheel cover.

Picture463.jpg

Otherwise i can modify this tank i have but taper it like the lines marked on it...

Picture468.jpg

Picture470.jpg

Picture464.jpg

If i do use that tank i can cut out a tunnel for the toptube and either mount it horizontal like this......

Picture467.jpg

Otherwise i could cut the tunnell right through and mount it over the toptube but parallell with it.

Man, harry76, I'd like to see what's going on. Looks like ya got to do something to your photobucket account.

So would i ,so would i. I have little to zero computer skills and im trying to work out whats going on. It says i exceeded the bandwidth, does that mean ive loaded too many photos? If so ive erased some photos but that doesnt seem to help, not immediately anyway. It says to upgrade to pro, but that costs $2 a month, not a lot of money but id rather not pay if i dont need to. Any help guys would be greatly appreciated.....

It seems i have troubles with exceeding my bandwidth on Phototbucket, im a computer dummie so there may have been other ways but i just paid for a years Photobucket Pro so im assuming the photos will reappear soon....

I bought a box of old bike crap (gold to me) and it contained heaps of old goodies. I will use the seat (for now til i find better), fenders, centre stand (until i build a rear one), a rear luggage rack i may use.

I also decided to steal the wheels meant for my Indian project, im a little short on bikebuilding funds right now, so i can build a better set of wheels (moped hubs) for my Indian later, that way i can get this done for a car show me and my girlfriend are going to next month, and keep her safe with good brakes..... well the Sturmey Archer at least, that rear band nrake is meant to be crap but good enough for this..... i hope.

The rims will be repainted white, and the bike, tank and fenders will be done in a light, flat purple if i can find some suitable.

I also tacked up a tank for this to see what it looked like, at first i wasnt sure but its growing on me, i may just remake one similar with more rolled edges on the tank. Or leave it???

I need to fix the fenders up a little, but im pretty happy with the look of the bike. It kind of reminds me of a trials bike.

Picture478.jpg

Picture477.jpg

Picture476.jpg

Picture475.jpg

Picture480.jpg

The primary will be belt drive and since im using these wheels the secondary will be chain driven.

My question is what sort of reduction am i aiming for with a 3hp Briggs?

I feel ya on the dishin' out the dough. Just use a back up photosharing site for when your main one fills up.

Imgur.com is another one.

Today i cut up a 10 speed racer bars and tack welded an exhaust and inlet manifold. I need to fully weld and tidy them up a fair bit but you get the idea. The exhaust i just cut the standard exhaust and cut the thread off and made an exhaust to have the two meet, i will end up painting it black....

Picture483.jpg

Picture481.jpg

Picture484.jpg

I tacked up a rough version of my inlet manifold, and i need to make some flange brackets for it. It will sit out a little further then in the photo, also it may be slightly shorter.

Picture485.jpg

Picture482.jpg

Picture486.jpg

I wondered that Beau, I was told by someone that builds those Honda clones that it would be ok, and i think he said he trialed inlet manifolds around 6-9 inches. I dont know, if it isnt right its no biggie to change. If it is ok it gives it less top end but more low end power, this would be perfect for my girlfriend.

The reason ive positioned it there is to keep it well out of the way for my girlfriend, i could move it a lot closer to the inlet but then the throttle cable will stick up into the riders cockpit and be .... ugly.

Do you definitely think it wont run right, and should shorten it, or just have a suspicion it wont run right, and its worth me seeing how it performs?

Loving your build Beau....

Latest posts

Back