"Bat Rat"

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys,
When I finished the trike (48 Dually) I got a bad itch to build another bike right away. Heard the rumor that FireBikes may be selling and I'd had my eye on one of the fluid frames for a couple of years now. So I bought one just in case I may never get a chance to in the future.

I told my wife I would take a year to build it, but once it arrived I couldn't control myself. :mrgreen: The frame came powdercoated black and I searched for a theme for the bike. I always thought one of the fluids would look nice built up pro street. So I started with that angle and went from there. I found a local pinstriper through word of mouth. He pinstriped it for me in traditional rat rod design. (He's an older gentleman who has been doing it for over 40 years. He's done bikes for Jesse James and ran with the likes of Roth.) After a week of riding it, people are calling it the bat bike and the name seems to have stuck.

There's a mixture of motorcycle and bicycle parts in it. A super wide fork from the Chopperdome allowed me to drill through the top crown for risers. Then I powdercoated the handlebar and crowns black to match the frame. The geometry on the bike is practically perfect. You can ride it all day long and get tremendous tork by pulling on the handlebars and pushing on the pedals.

My wife says that's it for now! No more bike building for me for a while!!! :p (But my fingers were crossed! ha ha!)

DSC00775.jpg

DSC00779.jpg

DSC00781.jpg

DSC00782.jpg

DSC00783.jpg

DSC00786.jpg

DSC00788.jpg

DSC00773.jpg

That's a beautiful bike man. That frame has a great flow to it. Perfect pinstriping :mrgreen:

bicycle guy - they are TIOGA chrome pedals. search the mountain bike parts websites. I can't remember which site I bought them from. I think they come in two sizes - mine are the larger size.

4oclockfriday said:
That is so tight! How much does it take to build something like that? I would love to take on that project!
Im already guessing about 2 grand. :shock: 8)

Very Very nice bike........The frame is crazy rad........One of the best looking/flowing frames I've seen........Amazing work.....

Wow..Sweet job love the pin striping ..you did a great job..Jay

the tires look like bontrager slicks. i am guessing he removed the lettering. the lines are cool and man with that square tubing that must have been real fun to run lines on. one of the best looking fire bike framed bikes i have seen to date

karfer67 said:
the tires look like bontrager slicks. i am guessing he removed the lettering. the lines are cool and man with that square tubing that must have been real fun to run lines on. one of the best looking fire bike framed bikes i have seen to date

Tire are either Slicky G from 3G bikes or Ritchey Moby Bites. Same tread pattern. One of my favorite tires.

thats one super slick ride. i adore the pinstriping, but i really dislike those bars/risers on that frame.

low is the way to go! perhaps an up turned set of huge cruiser bars?
to each there own right?, thats what makes this such a great place.

nice ride dude!

Hey.

The tires are 3Gs. It's my first time using them and I like how light they are - they're very fast rollers.

About the risers and bar, the pics my lead you to believe that they're high but when sitting and riding you're still holding onto the bars lower then your shoulders.
I have built many bikes using lower cruiser style handlebars. You can put low bars on it just like any frame, but you give up performance and ride comfortability with the Fluid if you do that. With some frames you are in more of a full recumbent position than just a semi-recumbent position. If you choose to put low hung bars on a frame like that you will have a problem with your knees in your chest and your shoulders and back ache soon into the ride. I'm not knocking going for a certain look on any bike, but if you can't ride it for over 5 minutes without using aleve, what's the point?

big AL said:
Hey.

The tires are 3Gs. It's my first time using them and I like how light they are - they're very fast rollers.

About the risers and bar, the pics my lead you to believe that they're high but when sitting and riding you're still holding onto the bars lower then your shoulders.
I have built many bikes using lower cruiser style handlebars. You can put low bars on it just like any frame, but you give up performance and ride comfortability with the Fluid if you do that. With some frames you are in more of a full recumbent position than just a semi-recumbent position. If you choose to put low hung bars on a frame like that you will have a problem with your knees in your chest and your shoulders and back ache soon into the ride. I'm not knocking going for a certain look on any bike, but if you can't ride it for over 5 minutes without using aleve, what's the point?

thats why i said huge bars!
i found a monsterous set of dyno cruiser bars i put on one of my low riders. now i'd agree i have given up alittle preformance (steering-but nothing major) but i wouldn't ever use the word uncomfortable when refering to the bike.
IMG_1490.jpg

when i ride it, my hands are at the same height as my butt, and it's surprizingly comfortable. alot of people have riden this bike, and nobodies ever had a hard time with it. now i know the bikes look nothing alike, but i bet there similar to ride.
i imagen your bike set up with the up turned huge dyno bars, would be surprizingly comfortable to ride. :)
food for thought. thats all. i mean its a crazy cool bike just the way it is.

Latest posts

Back