B0-X----- WEENIE WAGON -----B0-X

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Do what you have to do and build when you can,we all know you'll get elbows deep in grease when it'd time.
I have to paint this villa by next week,then have a few small jobs.One of the jobs is designing and welding tables and chairs for a taverna out of plumbing pipe.So for sure I will start then.;)
We are a summer holiday destination,so all the work is now...This year I am pulling in more work,so more $$$.

But these arrived today...
DSCN4713.JPG

I have always wanted to take a shot at rod brakes.
Don't keep us waiting toooooooo long.
We need Miss Funk's funkiness!!!

I have always wanted to take a shot at rod brakes.
Don't keep us waiting toooooooo long.
We need Miss Funk's funkiness!!!
I have never used them either,so will be interesting to see the outcome...

The idea of the rod brakes is to make a foot pedal brake.Can't seem to find the pics I use to have.
But this will give you a idea.If anyone has better pics please post...
In Peru they use this system with wood blocks...
Utility_Stainless_Steel_Bicycle_Food_Vending_Cart.jpg
peru-lima-barranco-district-malecon-souza-ice-cream-vendor-job-vending-CMP8R3.jpg

The idea of the rod brakes is to make a foot pedal brake.Can't seem to find the pics I use to have.
But this will give you a idea.If anyone has better pics please post...
In Peru they use this system with wood blocks...View attachment 10820 View attachment 10821
I definitely see the usefulness of these. That Weenie Wagon is going to be heavy with all of those weenies on board... standard brakes would not hold very good going down hill.
Down%20Hill.jpg

Check out my bike
e47a4b4d19a32ad30e77b6c16a02118c.jpg
Thats cool with the engine.
I did consider a motor,but considering my last 2 entries have engines.I thought to go back to 100% pedal power.
Also I will be making the frame simple(less metal up front).More vintage style.

I definitely see the usefulness of these. That Weenie Wagon is going to be heavy with all of those weenies on board... standard brakes would not hold very good going down hill.
Down%20Hill.jpg
Your right on the brakes,and I don't think the coasters are good enough,not here anyway.But the idea is to sell it.So hopefully it will end up in Athens.
I am also looking for a drum brake hub,that is my other option.Even a disc brake,but need to find a rear wheel.
Was hoping to use all these rear mtb gear wheels up.

I am also looking for a drum brake hub,that is my other option.

o_O One of these maybe...

Band-brake_(for_bicycle_rear_wheel)a.jpg

It looks like that blue bike with the umbrella that you posted earlier has one of these on the back.

They're not bad. I put one on Glenderson and it works okay but the brake band seems to be wearing down quickly. Mind you, I did buy a cheap one :blush:

Glen.

o_O One of these maybe...

Band-brake_(for_bicycle_rear_wheel)a.jpg

It looks like that blue bike with the umbrella that you posted earlier has one of these on the back.

They're not bad. I put one on Glenderson and it works okay but the brake band seems to be wearing down quickly. Mind you, I did buy a cheap one :blush:

Glen.
How do they work? I was thinking the old sachs or sturmey hubs...Do these attach some how to normal wheels? or can we modify them to do so?

How do they work? I was thinking the old sachs or sturmey hubs...Do these attach some how to normal wheels? or can we modify them to do so?

o_O "Can we modify them"?

Of course we can, we are rat rod bikers... we can modify anything! :aggressive::showingbiceps:

But to put a band brake on the back wheel, all you will need is a hub that is threaded on both sides. Something like this…

47_Hub.jpg

On the drive side you have the freewheel (single speed or a cluster) and on the other side, you screw on the brake disc/drum which is seen at the top right of this picture…

Band-brake_(for_bicycle_rear_wheel)b.jpg

When you squeeze the brake lever, the cable pulls on the mechanism contracting the band around the disc/drum.

For a front wheel, you obviously only need a hub with threading on one side and you mount it on the left, which is what I did on Glenderson.

Glen.

o_O "Can we modify them"?

Of course we can, we are rat rod bikers... we can modify anything! :aggressive::showingbiceps:

But to put a band brake on the back wheel, all you will need is a hub that is threaded on both sides. Something like this…

47_Hub.jpg

On the drive side you have the freewheel (single speed or a cluster) and on the other side, you screw on the brake disc/drum which is seen at the top right of this picture…

Band-brake_(for_bicycle_rear_wheel)b.jpg

When you squeeze the brake lever, the cable pulls on the mechanism contracting the band around the disc/drum.

For a front wheel, you obviously only need a hub with threading on one side and you mount it on the left, which is what I did on Glenderson.

Glen.
Well you just solved my brake issue with the 1910.:113:
Will relace the front wheel and throw a old bmx hub in,have plenty.
Need to find a double hub...
Thanx Glen

So hounding around for a double threaded hub.
I came across this.Great for anyone building a motorized bike.
HD_Axle_Kit_For_Motorized_Bike.jpg

Also with Glen's idea you can purchase a disc adapter to mount disk brakes.
$_1.JPG

So all I had to do was use the rear wheel for the front on the Indian.DOH!!!:39:

Very cool that you can get a screw on disc adapter... that bit of info will come in handy in the future I'm sure :thumbsup:

Glen.

Very cool that you can get a screw on disc adapter... that bit of info will come in handy in the future I'm sure :thumbsup:

Glen.
2 great minds and a minute trolling...;)

Latest posts

Back