B.M.B. -JohnThomas Sorrels- update: Bricks Have Arrived!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hopefully this is the right place to log my entry. I started with an unknown aluminum canti frame that had an ugly clear cout and a lot of scratches and knicks.

img0126qq.jpg

I spent a few hours hand sanding the frame and than polished it up.

img0130w.jpg

This bike will be a little strange, I am building it to be a daily commuter bike that looks cool, It will hopefully have some fat tires and some road bike parts thrown in. More updated to come.

Re: Bare Metal Build Off Entry- JohnThomas Sorrels

Right on John. I'm going to do a thread pretty soon. Look forward to seeing what we all come up with.

that cleaned up really nice. should be a fun build.

Outlaw 8)

I feel sorry for any driver in an automobile that catches the reflection off of that. Hahaha.

No I don't. I have no pity or sympathy for any cagers. :mad:

if the head set is 1" you can get a carbon front fork for it. I have one that I am using for my rails to trails build but my bike is a steel diamond frame. but that doesn't matter. it all works.lol. this will be a great build. I am watching this one. :)

Outlaw 8)

That is SHINY!! Looks good, cool aluminum frame.

Havin' fun.

Jackdaw

OUTLAW said:
if the head set is 1" you can get a carbon front fork for it. I have one that I am using for my rails to trails build but my bike is a steel diamond frame. but that doesn't matter. it all works.lol. this will be a great build. I am watching this one. :)

Outlaw 8)

That'd be cool but I haven't seen any c.f. forks wide enough for 3" tires. My friend gave me a 3 piece crank adapter and I found the shimano crankset on ebay, cleaned it up and painted the arms leaf green, I plan to paint the rims and a few other small parts this color. I did a mockup with a seat tube I made today, I will cut it down a lot but made it long so I get the right length.

that looks good. your right cf don't come in for a 3" tire. are those your cars in the back there? need some pic's of em. we like pic's of any rat rods. thanks.

Outlaw 8)

Hey JTS,

You did a great job on the frame!
You've inspired me to do something to my canti Al frame
I like the direction you're taking it
Looking forward to your updates

Right on man. What is your commute like? It looks like that tire would be up for about anything.

jackdaw

OUTLAW said:
that looks good. your right cf don't come in for a 3" tire. are those your cars in the back there? need some pic's of em. we like pic's of any rat rods. thanks.

Outlaw 8)

Yea, those are a 34' and a 41', both GM pickups, I'll get some photos of them up.

MplsCoaster said:
Hey JTS,

You did a great job on the frame!
You've inspired me to do something to my canti Al frame
I like the direction you're taking it
Looking forward to your updates

Thanks, looking forward to see what you come up with.

jackdaw said:
Right on man. What is your commute like? It looks like that tire would be up for about anything.

jackdaw

My current commute is hilly and mostly on road, I just prefer fat tires, the tire in the pictures is a nirve fatA for mock up but I am ordering a set of thick bricks.

Some updates, I started working on the back wheel. I sanded and painted the rim and cog ivy leaf green...

img0153ud.jpg

img0157ls.jpg

the color looks neon in the pictures but is much more low profile in real life.

I also cleaned up the old crusty looking spokes with some steel wool, they shined up nicely. I'm thinking about getting new nipples but will probably stick with the old ones...

img0155xq.jpg

While I was at it I cleaned up this nexus 3 speed hub that I found out I had, I think I just need a shifter and shift rod for it...

img0156ea.jpg

Lastly, I did a quick zip tie mock up of an old government miners lamp I found in my grandpas shed and converted to led...

img0150m.jpg

img0151in.jpg

img0152kc.jpg

I love the battery box! I've been looking for one on the bay for a decent price for a while. IIRC they were also US Forest Service head lamps

The bike has made some progress lately, I took apart the front wheel, painted it, and reassembled it, than today a box showed up. MY thick bricks finally arrived! I stopped by a lbs on the way home from work and got tubes and rim tape. Below are some shots of how she sits currently, lots of little thing to finish up...

img0027fo.jpg

img0033ng.jpg

Latest posts

Back