B-6 Butchery

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
Found this on local Craigslist advertised as an "Antique Schwinn great for yard art". I had to rescue it from being condemned to a life of further abuse. The previous owner had painted to match his house and had it parked in front by a flower bed. They were moving and it did not match the new house. I think it is a 1952 Panther or Autocycle. The butchery is on the chainring where the owner before him cut off every other tooth to make it work with the skiptooth JC Higgins rear wheel. I can see black paint under the red rattlecan. He was able to find the original front struts and gave them to me. I am torn between re-doing it and parting it out. I am afraid the cost to redo would be over it's value. Any advice?

Why? Why? Why?

The left rack support is cobbled together

Something dubious done to the frame here

Skiptooth Higgins wheel. Anybody want to trade for an S-2?

What a mess. The fenders aren't original. No black B6's so might have been a Phantom. Phantom chainring was "converted" to skip tooth by grinding every other tooth. First one I've seen like that. Stoplight rack is from a Phantom or later middleweight Jaguar. On the other hand, if the fork is original to the bike it might have been a Streamliner. All in all, just a parts bike I think, plus you have issues with that seat tube where the clamp goes. I'd ditch all the non Schwinn parts and start rebuilding from there, or part it out. Gary

If I read the number right, it could be a 52 or 57, it's one of those numbers used twice. When you pull the cranks, there may be a date stamp in the middle. You can also see the original color inside the bb and the headtube. That will determine if the forks are original too, the fork tube will show the original color. The chain guard may have the name under all the paint also. Sometimes you can read it by seeing the raised letters. If the seat tube isn't damaged too badly, I'd say make it a rat. The chain ring should still work with a standard chain.

I knew it was a disaster when I bought it but it was cheap enough. Even if I wind up parting it out I won't lose anything.

Easy off oven cleaner will take off paint just don't let it sit too long. 10 minutes and it will eat away a lot of paint so check it often. Take it down to the original paint then build it up as a rat.

With the chrome fender. Phantom chainring and if black like you say then likely a phantom. Restoration wise you have a frame witha welded seat tube. The rest is to rough. Rat that puppy out! I just assembled a phantom restoration today!

Latest posts

Back