Any ideas who made this frame ????

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anybody recognize this frame?

I bought this bike without a headbadge and no other decals or other ID. I believe its a better quality bike because of the components on it. It has a three piece crank with cup bearings instead of a screw in bottom bracket. The serial number is made up of 5 or 6 tiny indistinguishable numbers or letters. Aluminum crank arms and seatpost. Single speed, aluminum wheels. As you can see it has a very deep frame. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

A three piece crank? It looks like the bottom bracket was made for one piece. Have any pics of the parts you took off? That might help.

If you read the post it states that its a three piece crank with cup bearings and push in races, not the normal screw in caps with the usual three piece crank and bottom bracket. Maybe you've never seen a setup like I describe.

That's a rather odd set up. Does the coaster brake have a brand or model number on it?

The coaster arm simply says Bendix 76, Mexico. I don't know if the "76" is a date code. Its an older bike but it doesn't look quite that old although anything is possible. Thanx for your interest.

I think you might have a frankenbike. :? What's the fork look like?

I think the crank, wheels, and frame were probably not originally paired together. The frame doesn't seem that old either, but the fork crown might give an answer.

By a frankenbike I presume you're thinking someone put a bunch of pieces together? Honestly, I doubt it. If you'll notice the pink color on the chainwheel. The aluminum wheels are exactly the same color. I know the woman who owned this bike and it was bought from a local bike shop (now out of business) and serviced there. In fact, one of the crank bearings went and thats when she called me to come and get it. The shop repair tag was still attached to the bars. She didn't want to spend the money on an older bike.

Here's the fork pics:

Hum, well the frame looks pretty modern, the fork looks pretty modern, if the crankset is original (it looks like 1 piece to 3 piece adapter to me though) then the Bendix 76 seems kind of anachronistic.

The fork reminds me of 1980s Schwinn, but the details of the frame don't fit that. Doesn't look like 80s Huffy either. So it might be even more modern than the 80s, but at least if it were 80s then the Bendix would still make sense.

AMF? When did Murray stop brazing and start welding? Sometime in the 80s?

By the looks of the chainguard mounting tabs and other features, i'd say a Huffy (maybe Cranbrook) or, since those tabs line up with the ones on my 03' Torker Boardwalk... a Torker would be the guess i'm leaning to. But never count out it being a randon 90's to current PC Schwinn.

That is definitely a frankenbike. Even though the "pink" chainwheel and rims match they are most likely matching parts from a different bike. The dropouts are a dead givaway. The negative space triangle indicate a modern Walmart or Target bicycle. Most likely not a Huffy Cranbook as those have water bottle cage bosses on the seat tube. I would guess some sort of Chinese made Schwinn such as a Del Mar, Windwood, Legacy, etc. The fork is anyone's guess but they look bmx cruiserish to me. Just my couple penny's worth of thoughts! Oh and those welds sure look Chinese as well!

I believe a jamis earthcruiser? They were trying to look like bmx cruiser / klunker bikes. Dont hold me to it. That sprocket, crank setup looks like 80s bmx. What is stamped into the crank arm?

Thank you all for your interest and help. I've pulled up a bunch of Torker pics and it really does look like the same frame. All of the Torker bikes I've seen with specs listed are 19" frames and thats what mine is. Also, after looking at the Torker pics I realized I have a springer front end and I think I'm going to use it on this bike. Thanx again for all your help. When I finish I'll post some pics.

Forgot to mention: I forgot I had an older EarthCruiser here. I checked the serial number stamping and its nothing like the frame I'm currently working on. I know that means nothing concrete and those stamping can change from year to year but it just makes me lean all the more to Torker.

Hey guys, for your information I ran into another "generic" 3 piece crank setup. I've attached some pics. Its an old Huffy "Matterhorn" mountain bike.

Wow, this frame looks almost identical to my new bike that I'm trying to I.D. The only difference I see is that mine has 2 of those threaded hole things on the rear stays (whatever they're called). Even my forks look the same. Mine doesn't have any numbers unless they're hidden under paint. Mine also had old school Wald 7111 rat trap pedals and Wald fenders. Bike came out nice.
002-1.jpg

004-2.jpg

Latest posts

Back