38 Monarch (Retro)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Started working on a 38 Monarch. I mentioned in other posts that this was my Father in laws' bike. It was pretty much worn out and in need of a restoration. I don't think it's worth a lot of $ the way it is, or even fully restored (original). This bike had none of the popular options, tank, springer or trusses, rear carrier etc. But it is a bike that has been in the family for 70 yrs.! Sooo.. we (wife) decided to do a Resto Mod to it. Sorta straight forward, nothing to fancy. All the parts that were removed will be boxed and go with the bike, when I give it to my son for his birthday (Feb). My wife is going to do a journal about some of the stories from her father. Hopefully he can hand it down to one of my (4) grandchildren, with some NEW stories. Then they can make the bike the way they want, and hand it down again. So if the bike goes through several transformations (modifications), no big deal. It will still be the same bike!
So far it has tires and rims from a girls 1973 Columbia-Sterling, I purchased this at a tag sale a few years ago for $20. The tires and rims are perfect! No pitting, no rust, just have to be polished. The tires (Carlisle) still have the "nubs" on them, even after 35 yrs. The seat is a "Rideable Bicycle Replica" that I bought a while ago, and never used. The bars and sprocket are parts that were left over from other projects. So far the only thing I bought were NEW fenders and used pedals. Still working on a chainguard. I hope to sand blast everything next week. So how about some opinions, good or bad! I'm not sure I like the seat, which bars to use (I like them both). Haven't decided on a color or colors. Input WELCOMED!
To me a, RatRod bike is something made with as many leftover or used parts that you can find, recycling! Dull or shiney paint! Thanks! " KOTA"

GRAMPA1001.jpg

001.jpg

RR3.jpg

I like the cruiser bars on this one! And the origional seat looks way better than the one you added.Just my opinion! :wink: Gonna look great however you fix her up. And love the plans to pass'er down! 8)
L8 EM

i'm goin with the duke on this one

LOVE THE BIKE!!!
those frames are awesome
but i like the cruiser bars and original seat

were we suppose to give opinion? :wink:

moparmayhem93 said:
i'm goin with the duke on this one

LOVE THE BIKE!!!
those frames are awesome
but i like the cruiser bars and original seat

were we suppose to give opinion? :wink:

ABSOLUTELY! I just mocked it up with some parts I had. (just don't hate the fenders!)Thanks

I like the cruiser bars on that frame, see if you can restore the old seat (bead blast, paint, cover), and flat blue would be cool. Everybody does flat black & red. I like the fact that the bike has some history to it. Might even be cool to get it painted original, but flat blue with pinstripes would be killer. :D

I think its WAY COOL to pass it on down to the generations with the stories of back in the day!

Let the kids mod it the way they like and enjoy it.(they cant kill it...and it can always be restored back to original)

Finished in time for my son's (33) birthday (sorta). Guess what! I don't like the seat! So I'm working on getting another one. But for now he gets this one. Still need a chainguard (chain needs to be adjusted also). Some of you said "Don't paint it", I did, and I kinda regret it. (I'll never paint another bike in the winter again). I showed my son the original pic of the bike and he asked if his grandfather stored it "underwater". He likes the paint and said that he would RIDE it, and that's what I wanted to hear. He said his MB is uncomfortable to ride (cruise), he's getting old, wow, imagine how I feel! Anyway, thanks for your opinions. Oh yeah, pics could be better, but it's 10 degrees outside, and I was FREEZING!

GRAMPA1001.jpg

004.jpg

001-1.jpg

006-1.jpg

Some of you said "Don't paint it", I did, and I kinda regret it.

NO WAY ! :shock: that is perfect! It looks way better this way. You just can't leave a bike that looks like it was stored under water....lololol

I wish I was your son...he is one lucky boy !

the original paint was nice, but i think it looks top notch now, that is an awesome paint job you did and the colors are awesome!

what happened to the spedometer tho.....did it work?

looks slick !!! (i was gonna say "top notch", but thats been said :mrgreen: )

love the paint... and the bars... and the shiny

bentwoody66 said:
Where did that old seat go? You still have it? I might be interested in it if it's still with you.

All the original parts were boxed and stored, the seat (frame) needs to be repaired, and new leather (maybe someday).

joshua85,..the speedo does work, i'm in the process of cleaning and putting a new "plastic lense" on the face.

aka_locojoe said:
Nice job. What's the graphic/design that's on top of the seat?

Just a decal from AutoZone, a skull with an eye patch and a bandana. I liked it, so I put it on! 8)

nice bike and i probably would have repainted it too. and i dig the apes and that you resisted the temtpation to turn it into a boardtracker :D

Back