19PENNYSAVER71 (LAST UPDATE 07/31 FINAL DETAILS)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: 19PENNYSAVER71 (SHES BACK WITH AN UPDATE 06/21)

nelvolks said:
I was able to retrieve the pics from my new update last night. Still working on the others.

Yay! I can see it again... now I wanna ride it.

Re: 19PENNYSAVER71 (THIS TIME PICS ARE REALLY UPDATED 06/22)

Ok so sorry about the pictures disappearing I had an issue with photobucket. Man I have had some crazy things happen to me and this build in the last few weeks. I hope that this is not a sign heading into the end of the build. Well I was able to get most of the pictures up except the ones from the chain restore. But if you stopped by and saw nothing I promise you there are pictures up now. Thanks!

Re: 19PENNYSAVER71 (75 PERCENT DONE! UPDATE 06/26)

Alright quick update. Got a bit more done today while I had a chance. I was able to install the chain and pedals and chainguard.

Here I drilled a hole so that the rear of the chainguard would be bolted to the rear of the frame dropout. SInce this bike did not come with a chainguard I found one from a 26" cruiser and I was able to make it fit to where it looked good.

IMAG0146.jpg

IMAG0145.jpg

Here you can see that it looks and fits good. I at least feel a bit better about the fact that this bike just does'nt have new parts and that I was able to make some parts fit from other bikes. I am really pleased with the way the bike has turned out so far.
IMAG0147.jpg

Here is the bike as of now. Next update should be seat, sissy bar, and headbadge. I will say that I will be modifying these parts and making a headbadge from scratch. But there is still much more to go. Hope you like what you see.

IMAG0148.jpg

Since I've got your seat and headbadge material, I guess the pressure is on me now! :shock:

Looks great.

yoothgeye said:
Since I've got your seat and headbadge material, I guess the pressure is on me now! :shock:

Looks great.

Haha Thanks! Yes the pressure is on you but its cool bc I know you will deliver I trust you.

Great job so far, can't wait to see it 100% done :mrgreen:

Wolf's Den Garage said:
IMHO, those bars just ain't workin' with the rest of the build...

I think they look great... plus, they are stock on this bike.

Wolf's Den Garage said:
IMHO, those bars just ain't workin' with the rest of the build...
Thanks for the comment. I do like how the bars look on the bike and I think once I am done with the seat you will see how it all ties in well.

Yeah, those handlebars were MADE for that bike and look REALLY cool :wink: Let's get an update :mrgreen:

SCHWINNRAY69 said:
Yeah, those handlebars were MADE for that bike and look REALLY cool :wink: Let's get an update :mrgreen:
Haha thanks schwinnray69 I agree. A far as an update it is coming hopefully this week, I have been busy with family members visiting from back home in puerto rico.

Re: 19PENNYSAVER71 (BIG UPDATE 07/11 SEAT, HEADBADGE AND MORE)

Ok so I have been busy the last few weeks with family that I had coming up from back home in Puerto Rico. I finally get a chance today to get back on track and get some major work done.

FIRST ON THE CHECKLIST IS THE SEATPAN/SEAT:

Here is a regular banana seat that I wanted to do something different with.
IMAG0178.jpg

First thing to do is take the plastic cover off.
IMAG0179.jpg

Next I had to clean up the rust on the bottom of the seat.
IMAG0180.jpg

Next was to make the seat shorter than what it was. I was looking for a different look than a standard banana seat so here we go. I cut the tip off about 3 to 4 inches off.
IMAG0182.jpg

Next I took the tip that I cut off and cut the middle off so that I could slide it into the pan. Since I dont have many tools to work with I had to improvise and use what I have.
IMAG0186.jpg

Here you can see how much shorter it looks.
IMAG0185.jpg

These next slides you can see how I pop riveted the tip that I cut off at the top of the seatpan. Then I hammered it and molded it to the shape of the tip I pop riveted. Next I drew lines where I was going to cut the extra edges on the side.
IMAG0188.jpg

IMAG0189.jpg

IMAG0190.jpg

HERE IT IS BEFORE!
IMAG0181.jpg

HERE IT IS AFTER!
IMAG0191.jpg

After that I primed the bottom of the seatpan and drilled the holes where i was going to pop rivet the new cover.
IMAG0209.jpg

And here is the new cover and I also had a piece of new carpet padding that I cut the same shape as the original foam padding.
IMAG0208.jpg

Next I taped the both paddings to the seatpan so that they would not move.
IMAG0210.jpg

I then took the fabric which is a piece I cut off a mexican blanket and started to pop rivet it to the seat pan. I used big washers to hold the fabric in place on the inside of the seat pan.
IMAG0211.jpg

IMAG0212.jpg

After I covered the seatpan I then took copper tacks and ut the tips off and glued them to the top of the pop rivet. all around the seat.
IMAG0217.jpg

IMAG0220.jpg

Here is what it looks like after it is done.
IMAG0219.jpg

NEXT ON THE CHECKLIST IS THE HEADBADGE:

First thing I took a piece of copper and cut the pattern I wanted.
IMAG0192.jpg

Next I took a picture that I found online of a cartoon penny and cut it out.
IMAG0193.jpg

I then taped the cutout of the penny and started to engrave the pattern to the copper headbadge with my engraver.
IMAG0194.jpg

Here you can see the engraved penny.
IMAG0195.jpg

Here it is after all the engraving is done.
IMAG0203.jpg

I then cleaned it up with steel wool and made it shiny.
IMAG0204.jpg

I sprayed it with brown paint and then cleaned it up so that the paint would stay in the areas I engraved.
IMAG0205.jpg

IMAG0206.jpg

NEXT ON THE CHECKLIST IS END CAPS FOR TOP BARS ON FRAME:

After thinking of what to do for the ends of the top bars on the frame I decided that I would use some blackpowder slug bullets which are copper and would look great next to the headbadge.

Here you can see that it was easy to install because the plastic caps that come with the slug bullets fit perfect on the holes of the ends to the top bars on the frame. So all I had to do was slide the plastic caps in most of the way and then lightly hammer the slugs in the then cut the excess plastic edges. And there it is done and easy to do.
IMAG0200.jpg

IMAG0201.jpg

IMAG0202.jpg

So here is the headbadge with the slug bullets as end caps on the top bars of the frame.
IMAG0215.jpg

And here is the bike with the seat temporarily mounted.
IMAG0214.jpg

I need to buy some bolts for the sissy bar and I also have to clean up the excess fabric from the bottom of the seatpan. Still have a lot more work that needs to be done so hopefully I will have another update soon. Let me know what you think and I hope you like what I have done, and like it enough to give me a vote, haha. :lol:

Nelson, it all looks great! You don't need a bunch of tools, you have ingenuity!

yoothgeye said:
Nelson, it all looks great! You don't need a bunch of tools, you have ingenuity!
Thanks Justin, I really appreciate the huge comment. I try my best.

Latest posts

Back