1964 Sears Spaceliner (Update 9/9/14)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
As some of you have seen in the "Fresh Finds" section, I picked up this Spaceliner off CL just 5 minutes from my house. I've always wanted one of these bikes and I finally found one! My plans for this bike is to refurbish it and keep it original as possible. It's missing a few parts: rear fender (found), rear rack reflector, rear fender reflector, seat, and headlight bezel. The front wheel is original to the bike, but the rear is a Shimano and is all bent.

Here's the day I got it. Picked it up right after work so don't mind the safety shirt. :D

7/12/14
Nothing to exciting, but I stripped the bike down.

Hey Nick,remember that these Spaceliner frames had a clear plastic coating sprayed on them so they wouldn't rust like a cheap Jap import.Paint strip won't put a dent in it and other things I tried didn't work either,solution for me was to use different grades of steel wool starting with coarse and soaking it with WD-40.Its a long hard crappy job but if you are patient and do it in small sections it won't drive you to crazy:banghead:!!It took me a full week and a little time everyday.Mabey there's an easier way that someone knows but this worked for me,good luck!!

I started stripping the frame yesterday with steel wool, a razor blade, and a wire wheel in the tight spots. Took about 3 hours just to get about a quarter of it done. The chrome looks NICE! I'll get pics up when I finish stripping it.

Haha Thanks Rafael! :p

look for a brass wire wheel for your cordless drill. works wonders. I've cleaned up three of these frames now. it takes all the cleaar off and even polishes the bare metal. add some clear coat when done.

look for a brass wire wheel for your cordless drill. works wonders. I've cleaned up three of these frames now. it takes all the cleaar off and even polishes the bare metal. add some clear coat when done.
I will second that, it's how I did mine. Brass wire wheels for drills are like 4 bucks at lowes

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It might be advisable unless your a Bozo like me that keeps his in the guest bedroom:crazy: only for the fact that I never got around to clearcoating it over as other projects got in the way.I didn't do much research on what would be the best choice for clearcoat choices but she's been fine all these years in a dry room with an occasional rub down of WD-40.You'll need a really good quality clear that will stick to chrome and because its hard chrome and because its an unprepped surface the chances of runs and such are probably doubled,mabey someone on the "How To"threads can give clue on this problem.

Hey Nick,remember that these Spaceliner frames had a clear plastic coating sprayed on them so they wouldn't rust like a cheap Jap import.Paint strip won't put a dent in it and other things I tried didn't work either,solution for me was to use different grades of steel wool starting with coarse and soaking it with WD-40.Its a long hard crappy job but if you are patient and do it in small sections it won't drive you to crazy:banghead:!!It took me a full week and a little time everyday.Mabey there's an easier way that someone knows but this worked for me,good luck!!

When I stripped the factory clearcoat from Flexy, I actually did a lot of it with a utility knife. It's not fun, but it's worth it.

Sweet score by the way! Liners are uber cool!

Rumor on this board is that POR15 is the best clear out there. Super hard to scratch.
Apparently you just brush it on and it looks as smooth as spray, no brush marks.
41Ne9O0XJKL.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/GLISTEN-CLEAR-COAT-PINT-HARDNER/dp/B003MBXXQ2/ref=sr_1_10?ie=UTF8&qid=1405520334&sr=8-10&keywords=clear coat brush on

You are supposed to use their metal prep too
http://www.amazon.com/POR-Metal-Prep-AP120-20oz/dp/B00B3I2OZ2/ref=cm_wl_huc_item
51YZw4rvkZL.jpg

That's a REALLY nice light bezel,SUPER tough to get,its even got the original light lens.Beg,borrow or steaaal,awe wha'd I say:rolleyes:!!,the money.You could get this bike running pronto and enjoy it before summers end:thumbsup:!!Get that bezel:rockout:,wash the neighbor's cars,walk some dog's,mow some grass and get that cash,good luck!!!

One more for ya,item # 151365475379,this one doesn't look as nice but decent and better than none!!
$_57 space liner 2.jpg

Last edited:
Update August 10, 2014

Finally had some time to finish stripping the frame. Stripped it with steel wool and a razor blade. Wow, that was a pain! :headbang: But...it was worth it because the frame looks great! Gave it a polish and a nice protective wax and now it's time to move on. :)

Latest posts

Back