1950's Schwinn Cycle Truck Find

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
REDO?!?!?...No please do NOT redo!!! That is way too KOOL just as it is.PLEASE RECONSIDER!!! You've got a piece of history put into your trust...perform maintenence but please do not redo...P 8)

Nice find! I want one. That patina is perfect, I say replace the tires, grease the bearings and ride it as it sits. Maybe a gentle cleaning but definitely not a full on resto.

bike2112 said:
Correction, I am not redoing it, I meant restore by gently cleaning it all original. Every nut and bolt will be cleaned and reassembled back to original status.
Wow...you had me going there for a minute...of course,though,it is your bike but I'm very happy that you are just going to service it.Well done...well played,sir. I salute you...P 8)

54shadow said:
Imagine, if you will, a 12-year-old-kid, riding this with a six pack and some groceries in the basket, headed down a main street, I can.
Yeah nowdays us little whipper snappers would drink the beer before it was delivered. :mrgreen:

bike2112 said:
Dude, that one with the huge whicker basket and the guy walking it is awesome.

We saw him riding around with that thing loaded up with bread.

bike2112 said:
The teardown went well. the stem and seatpost are "frozen" so letting them sit overnight. Wirked more on the front fender and totally suprised by how much original paint is still under there. It's gonna look great, but not new great, nice and patina great.

Nice! Can't wait to see pics of it all cleaned up. You'd be surprised how bad something can look and how well it can clean up. Here's a before and after pic of the fenders from my '56 Schwinn American.

P8240024.jpg

outskirtscustoms said:
bike2112 said:
The teardown went well. the stem and seatpost are "frozen" so letting them sit overnight. Wirked more on the front fender and totally suprised by how much original paint is still under there. It's gonna look great, but not new great, nice and patina great.

Nice! Can't wait to see pics of it all cleaned up. You'd be surprised how bad something can look and how well it can clean up. Here's a before and after pic of the fenders from my '56 Schwinn American.

P8240024.jpg

How did you get them that clean? are you soaking them in something?

Latest posts

Back