chrome stripping

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fv2

Reaction score
Rating - 100%
40   0   0
I'm trying to figure out how to remove chrome plating on handlebars to have them powder coated.

I know I could send them out for this, but I'd like to find an inexpensive diy way to do it. Preferably something without the potential to kill me.

Any ideas?

I know sandblasting will remove chrome, not sure what else works.

Sent from my SPH-M830 using Tapatalk

I know sandblasting will remove chrome, not sure what else works.

Sent from my SPH-M830 using Tapatalk
In my experience it will remove some of the chrome. Depends on the quality and condition of the chrome. I've only ever blasted really badly rusted chrome, but sometimes still have some left.

You could also try a 3M scotch brite pad on a roloc disk on an angle grinder. Should cut right through the chrome without grinding away too much steel. I have not tried this, but see no reason it wouldn't work, please try it under the grip area first.

Not sure about all coaters, but the local powdercoat place here has to blast whatever you bring in anyway. I've tried before to blast stuff before brining it in thinking it would save me money. Nope. They said even though it's already blasted, they still have to blast it to be able to guarantee the finish.

Jon

The chrome on these bars is still really good, almost like new. I'll give the scotch bright idea a try if sandblasting doesn't work. I may end up stuffing the chrome and brushing on rhino liner, it's gonna be a rugged style build anyway.

I'd just scuff it and paint it. To actually strip the chrome you would need to take it to a plating place, which would cost more than just buying a set of painted handlebars.

I have a stripping wheel like the one in the second link, I'll try it first.

Thanks.

I'd just scuff it and paint it. To actually strip the chrome you would need to take it to a plating place, which would cost more than just buying a set of painted handlebars.
Yea, but the bars I have were on a D.C. transit bike so they're a little unique. More than likely tho, I'll just rhino line them.

Roloc discs and stripping discs are a waste of time(won't come close to removing it). You can sand it down with 40 or 80 grit sand paper but you'll waste about $30-$50 on paper before it's all down to raw steel.
Sand blast it. 5 minutes and $5 later you'll be glad you did.

I've painted over chrome by roughing it up with 80 grit then etching primer and paint, no issues with that.

I don't know if I'll actually have to strip it since I've decided to rhino line instead of powder coat.

The bike I'm planning is going to be along the line of klunker/camp gear/apocalypse bike, so I don't want any shiny stuff.

Roloc discs and stripping discs are a waste of time(won't come close to removing it). You can sand it down with 40 or 80 grit sand paper but you'll waste about $30-$50 on paper before it's all down to raw steel.

Agreed. I have sandblasted chrome bumpers and then primed and painted them without any problems. It doesn't remove the chrome but instead roughs it up so that the paint sticks. Can't really say if it would work for powder coating though.

I've sandblasted & powder coated handle bars many times. I do my own parts but most commercial powder coaters prefer to blast your part themselves before powder coating. It's generally included in the powder coating price around here.

Since I recommended the roloc discs without having tried them, albeit having lots of experience with them, I've never tried it on chrome. However I figured I should. Both of the discs I recommended stripped the chrome right off, through the nickel and copper right to bare steel. I would use the scotch-brite vs the strip disc, doesn't dig into the metal as much.

This was tested on vintage good quality chrome, not the crap that is forced on us today, thanks EPA.....

Leaves a good finish for either sanding or blasting and there won't be any question if the finish you go with will adhere to the chrome.

Good luck,
Jon

Lots of good advice in this thread, thanks Lil' rat rod I'm gonna try the scotch brite pad on my old beat up chrome handlebars.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Upon thinking about it more, the piece I tested the discs on was a cast pot metal mopar mirror, so the strip disc might be just fine on actual steel.

I figured it was worth a shot, most it could do is not work right?

Latest posts

Back