huffy cruiser converted to 5 speed klunker(ish)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
well after finding out what this actually is ( thanks to wildcat for the info on serial number) I have discovered it is a huffy cruiser
the model is unknown but the paint is the same color as the thunder roads had that greyish silver color.
so my creative mind got to thinking and I came up with an idea.
an adult thunder road full thunder road with number plate pads and mx bars and mx loafpan seat.
the tires are knobby already but the wheels are shot so I will be looking for a set of wheels for it.
more updates soon basically I just cleaned it and repacked the bottom bracket bearings.
so here are the progress pics as of right now.
removed the handlebars and discovered the fork bolt is cracked but could still be used it will have to do for now

serial indicates this is in fact a huffy anyone know how to decipher these huffy serials?

the kickstand was a welded in one at one point but they cleaned it up and removed the old kickstand and replaced it with this I like the idea even though its half witted.

underneath the kickstand plate

the bottom bracket it dirty and needs attention.

before and after of the bearings the bottom is before I soaked them in vinegar the top is the after result. definitely like the vinegar soak method

that's about all for now.
will be looking for the fenders and seat I need and maybe a new set of original wheels if I can find a good pair.
more updates soon
gonna turn this

into an adult version of this

An adult size Thunder Road bike. Cool idea. I have some Thunder Road parts. If your looking for any specific parts let me know, I might have them.

An adult size Thunder Road bike. Cool idea. I have some Thunder Road parts. If your looking for any specific parts let me know, I might have them.
Heya fat lip I actwuay am looking for some thunder road parts I need the number plate that mounts to the frame I need the stem.and handlebar pads and I need a seat and sissybar I want the loafpan style seat these had. I Also need the plastic fender for the front. I might have to modify a fender for the back one
More updates soon
Sean

Well the good part is I got this one working as it sits
The bad part is it is a very rough ride
The rear wheel is shot there is what appears to be a dent in the hoop so using the original wheels is out at least for the back one
I will most likely run some araya hoops if I can find a good pair in my already thin budget on this
one
the handlebars are upside down at the moment and it is very low and turns really wide( sore thumb to prove it!!)
but all in out tis a rebuildable bike.
more updates soon.
sean

well I tore the bike down and removed all the parts I am not going to use.
now I await my parts and money to buy them.
I noticed the fork doesn't have the correct rise as the original thunder road has so it won't be a perfect match but good enough for me.

the rear tire is roached badly I found the issue it has a dent in the hoop so it is shot probably going to put some araya hoops on this one my cat agrees lol

the remaining corpse looks bad atm but I will make her beautiful again.

so far not a lot of progress but its getting there.
more updates soon.
sean

well I got my mx bars today and they are mounted.
they look good on the bike and have a good feel to them (as best I could without a seat:arghh:)

the front view

now to get the rest of my parts I need for this project which I have found just need the money to get them.
more updates soon.
Sean

Looking good brother, try contacting member Dale Alan for those pedals. Here's the NOS set I got from him, they're perfect.
d039bdbf326ccc502dc4b7f0418954a4.jpg

Keep up the good work!
Cheers,
Dr. T

I like it. Are you gonna extend those forks?
I was thinking of getting them extended but im not sure how to do it.
that is the one issue I ran into after I took on the project is the raised front forks that's kinda a thunder road trademark so I gotta figure out how to do that.
more updates soon.
sean

Looking good brother, try contacting member Dale Alan for those pedals. Here's the NOS set I got from him, they're perfect.
d039bdbf326ccc502dc4b7f0418954a4.jpg

Keep up the good work!
Cheers,
Dr. T
those are awesome pedals but I think they may be too new for my project most of my parts are well used.
I will see if he has a set though . those are nice rattraps though.
thanks dr t
sean

I was thinking of getting them extended but im not sure how to do it.
that is the one issue I ran into after I took on the project is the raised front forks that's kinda a thunder road trademark so I gotta figure out how to do that.
more updates soon.
sean
There are guys on here who have done it. I was thinking cut the fork legs off another fork, slip them over each fork leg until they get tight, then weld and grind. But there may be a better way....

Those bars are perfect!

Luke.
thanks luke
yeah these bars fit this build perfectly once I get the number plates and grips I will be painting the stem and the bars toe correct thunder road black color. Then I am thinking of adding a little bit of yellow pin striping around the stem outline just to kind of make it my own.
more updates soon.
Sean

I have some plastic bmx fenders from a girls huffy I think. If I can find them they're yours. Convo me. You'll have to paint them of course.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back