Western Flyer with Rocket Ray, quick find

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is phase 1 in the cleanup.

55cleaner.jpg

:113:WHOA!

I recently obtained a bike in VERY similar condition and just wanted to inquire about your restoration process. Usually I just use aluminum foil and water to clean up my bikes, but normally all I have to do is clean up a bit of chrome. So you used fine steel wool and WD-40 everywhere on the bike (including the painted surfaces)? And then sealed it all off with linseed oil?

Thanks; I recently uncovered an Elgin that has ran in my wife's family for years and I'd like to restore it for my nephew. Seeing the progress you've made is inspiring me :).

So you used fine steel wool and WD-40 everywhere on the bike (including the painted surfaces)? And then sealed it all off with linseed oil?

This bike was/is pretty crusty, so I sprayed the entire bike down with WD40, then I took 000 steel wool to the entire thing, paint and everything, but there was rust on everything. Use common sense, you can uncover old graphics, but too much elbow grease, and they are gone.

For painted surfaces that are bad, but not covered in rust, I dip fine steel wool in a rubbing compound and buff out the paint (you can just use the rubbing compound on a rag) but it can uncover an amazing finish.

As for the linseed oil, I only use that to preserve a finish I intend to keep rusty, I have not yet reached the point on this bike yet where I will put the linseed on it, but it's close.

Thanks, I feel like I have a better idea on how to approach this project now. I'm pretty sure I'll end up repainting this one, so I might not go the linseed route, but I just have to see how much of the original look I can bring out.

Thanks again, and sorry to derail your thread :).

The previous ad was from 1955. Here are a couple from 1954
index.php

index.php

Any updates on this beauty?

Latest posts

Back