Roof mounted rack experience?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
63   0   0
I have a Subaru Outback with a roof rack. I was thinking of getting a couple bike racks for it. I found these on Fleabay. I wanted your thoughts/experience on whether these are some chinese POS's that will be flinging my priceless projects down the freeway, or good to go for not much money.

$(KGrHqV,!oMFILcTZUjKBSJ6S2ySog~~60_3.JPG

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2x-HD-Universal ... 6d&vxp=mtr

I have some experience with roof racks but not current, last 6 years I had been incognito.

That said, where's the rest of the rack? The part that goes on the car?
The trough and clamp on that upper half looks ok, I like wheel locks/straps as well.
Problem with all load on racks is the trough width, not being wide enough to fit wide tires, cruiser tires.

I have a forester with the factory crossbars. It holds up alright. That being said I'm trying to find a set of Yakima Grabrails so I can replace the factory bars and mount a basket and bike rail. Those racks you pictured look pretty cheap. I assume it clamps the downtube but you'd have to undue the locking screw and slip the bike in. I'd look for a pair of Yakima or Thule rails used. I've picked up plenty at yard sales most could be easily modified to work with factory cross bars.

I have a Forester and XC70, I have used fork mount style in the past for mtb's and they work great, I have an upright rack that I thought would work well for cruisers but there's something about holding 40-60lbs of bike up over your head with one hand while operating the rack with the other. Also, my upright rack is a Thule so should be heavy duty but wow do the old heavy bikes flop around. I'll be sticking to a swing away hitch rack until something better comes around..

my first impression of that Ebay rack from the picture is not good. The design looks cumbersome to use, and the lower braces look flimsy.

I see used racks on my local CL often. Have you tried that?

I haven't tried anything yet. I haven't seen Yakima or Thule on CL, but I'll keep more of a eye out. To answer one of the first questions... I have a factory rack with crossbars. I'm looking for an upright to mount cruisers/muscle bikes. But yes, my impression of this Ebay rack was it looked questionable. $40. But that's about my budget.

the nice thing about the Yakima upright rack I have is that the tension adjuster for the frame clamp part is down low at tire tray level so it's easy to reach. Unless your car is low I'm not sure how you would tighten those frame clamps for the rack pictured.

Latest posts

Back